Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Chaparral 336TSIK holding tanks?

We have recently purchased our 5th wheel (not our first rig) and I am struggling with holding tank information. The specs say 45 gal black tank capacity and 90 gal gray capacity according to the brochure. Websites list the number of tanks as 1 black and 1 gray. Of course the panel has the generic 2 black sensors and 2 gray sensors, so no help there. And my bay has three dump handles running vertically, the top is a gray water valve, the middle is the black water valve and the bottom one is also a gray water valve. The top valve (gray) won't budge, not even a millimeter. If I tug on it it just pulls the whole panel. So we've spent almost two weeks in it now (average of 3 people) and I have had to dump the gray tank on average about every three days. The black tank not yet dumped and the sensor still only says 1/3 full. We flush the toilet with PLENTY of water so it should be filling up. The gray tank for having a 90 gal capacity, on the other hand, fills really fast. I would say about 4 showers fills it 2/3 to full. And it's not like we take 20 minute showers, 10 minutes tops. I don't do dishes often and other than brushing teeth and washing hands, it is mostly showers. So does anyone know since it is 90 gal, is there actually 2 tanks plumbed together? dumped out of one valve? but each hooked up to a separate sensor set? Or my worse fear would be that the tanks are plumbed opposite and the black water is hooked to the 90 gal tank and the gray to the 45 gal. I have't run the gray past full to see if it starts reading on the second sensor. It wouldn't be the first thing on this rig that was hooked up wrong or labeled backwards. The cable/satellite/antenna connects were a mess. Any information would be appreciated, if you have a 336tsik even better! Maybe I could pick your brain on a couple other issues.
amutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #2

We also have this 5er. We also had the same problem with the valve at the panel. We ended up using wd40 and pulling on it. After a little while it began to budge. So i suggest just pulling and the apply lubrication and pull some more, it should eventually loosen up.
Typdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #3

Our 360IBL has same specs. But we have 3 separate tanks. Black, shower gray, kitchen gray.

Our kitchen gray fills very slow and it has a sticky valve. While mine is outside the wet bay, I have to spray silicone on the cable and put thetford valve lube down the kitchen sink to keep it moving smooth.

We get about 10 “navy” showers in our shower tank.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
Always Learning

First, I'd strongly suggest you reach out to Coachmen/Chapparel directly to get the tank question answered.

My guess is you have 3 tanks like chaps2018 described (1 black, shower gray, kitchen gray). Your kitchen gray pull handle is likely in around the wheels.

But, Coachmen can answer definitely.
Old 07-28-2023, 08:18 AM   #5

We have the same model and ours is a 2017. As far as the gray tanks, it has 2 45s NOT plumbed together, one for the shower and bathroom sink, the other for the kitchen sink and washer. as far as the order of the valves, ours are black on top, then gray from the kitchen then shower gray on the bottom. I am curious as to whether the valves are mislabeled
Ratchethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank