Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #21

You never stated what battery system you have.

Dealers often install a series 27 marine battery if the buyer does not pay for more.

That battery has about 40 amps of available power. As I remember the standby load of an inverter is 1-2 amps per hour. In 24 hours that should deplete the battery of useful charge.

If the fridge runs much that consumes much more juice.

Driving down the road with the rv plugged in the TV alternator would likely not be able to keep up with the draw of the fridge and other parasitic loads.

Up north the battery would be enough to drive as long as the RV is plugged in every day. In west Texas during the summer I would think the battery would be a concern.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
You never stated what battery system you have.

Dealers often install a series 27 marine battery if the buyer does not pay for more.

That battery has about 40 amps of available power. As I remember the standby load of an inverter is 1-2 amps per hour. In 24 hours that should deplete the battery of useful charge.

If the fridge runs much that consumes much more juice.

Driving down the road with the rv plugged in the TV alternator would likely not be able to keep up with the draw of the fridge and other parasitic loads.

Up north the battery would be enough to drive as long as the RV is plugged in every day. In west Texas during the summer I would think the battery would be a concern.

Hi. You are correct it's a marine deep cycle 27 series. Your math makes sense as the next day we were unable to raise the LCI Jacks. The digital control panel was reading 9.3 volts.

The draw on the fridge is concerning as we usually travel about 10 hours before stopping at a rest stop. We'll be bringing our Yamaha 2400 Inverter Generator for the overnight stops.

Thank You
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #23

there have been many posts about residential refrigerators and batteries while travelling. I will just post my experiences. others will have other experiences. we have 2 group 27 deep cycle batteries (at least that is what the manufacturer claims). we turn the inverter on when we travel and also have the 7-pin cable connected to the truck. we also make sure the batteries are fully charged before taking off. we have travelled all day and the refrigerator is still running when we stop for the evening. if I remember I do turn the ice maker function off while traveling. if you only have one battery it might be worthwhile looking into increasing that.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #24

I have the 2017 336TSIK
We found that with 2 group 27, 12vdc batteries that we could not pull off the road for a 5 hour nap without running the batteries down to the point the inverter was no longer able to provide power to the Hisense residential refrigerator. On my 336, the inverter is wired directly to the batteries. The disconnect switch does not take it out of play. However, there is an on/off switch on top of the inverter. It should only be in the ON position when not connected to shore power / generator. If you hear the inverter fan, it is powered On. If there is battery power to the inverter, there is a green LED that will be illuminated.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #25

Every time you discharge the battery more than 50% it damages the battery. Lowers the capacity appreciably.

They can wear out in weeks.

If you plan to travel and stop,without plugging in I think the residential fridge is not a good plan.

I would assume 4 6 volt batteries would get close to two days. Under most situations. More in cool weather.

We went with a traditional 13 cu ft rv fridge. They are expensive. Another $1500 or more.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #26
Site Team

Having only a single battery for a residential fridge/inverter setup, is just asking for problems.
I blame your dealer for not properly setting it up with at least two batteries, preferably two 6v golf cart batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #27
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Having only a single battery for a residential fridge/inverter setup, is just asking for problems.
I blame your dealer for not properly setting it up with at least two batteries, preferably two 6v golf cart batteries.
Very true, been there-done that. I now have two new Full River 120AH deep cycle batteries, replacing the single 'Jo-Blog' brand 'multi-purpose' rubbish that came with the van, which we flattened twice, the 1st time was due to ignorance in leaving stuff turned on, the 2nd time was because we were stuck in an non-powered site for a day longer than expected

What amazed me when I bought the 28RLT was that the battery box/compartment was only big enough to hold one battery. One, for such a big van, crazy. My new batteries are now housed in the front boot, with the Projecta 600W inverter in front. It came with a remote control panel so can be turned off/on from inside the van. You can just see the 100 amp fuse block to the left of it. I have rubber mats covering the terminals, to minimise the potential for shorting. The Projecta DC/DC Charger Controller is in the old battery box, where all the cables junctions remain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full River 2x120AH and 600 Watt Inverter.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	158671  
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
I have the 2017 336TSIK
We found that with 2 group 27, 12vdc batteries that we could not pull off the road for a 5 hour nap without running the batteries down to the point the inverter was no longer able to provide power to the Hisense residential refrigerator. On my 336, the inverter is wired directly to the batteries. The disconnect switch does not take it out of play. However, there is an on/off switch on top of the inverter. It should only be in the ON position when not connected to shore power / generator. If you hear the inverter fan, it is powered On. If there is battery power to the inverter, there is a green LED that will be illuminated.

Good stuff. Yes the inverter fan kicked on as soon as I connected the fully charge battery. I turned the switch on the converter off while in storage.

Can you share how your two group 27s are wired? I think we'll be adding a second battery. Like you we stop and sleep at a rest stop for a good six or seven hours.

Thank You.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Every time you discharge the battery more than 50% it damages the battery. Lowers the capacity appreciably.

They can wear out in weeks.

If you plan to travel and stop,without plugging in I think the residential fridge is not a good plan.

I would assume 4 6 volt batteries would get close to two days. Under most situations. More in cool weather.

We went with a traditional 13 cu ft rv fridge. They are expensive. Another $1500 or more.

Great point. I think we'll be bring our Yamaha 2400 inverter generator along. This should maintain the battery while we're resting.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
Very true, been there-done that. I now have two new Full River 120AH deep cycle batteries, replacing the single 'Jo-Blog' brand 'multi-purpose' rubbish that came with the van, which we flattened twice, the 1st time was due to ignorance in leaving stuff turned on, the 2nd time was because we were stuck in an non-powered site for a day longer than expected

What amazed me when I bought the 28RLT was that the battery box/compartment was only big enough to hold one battery. One, for such a big van, crazy. My new batteries are now housed in the front boot, with the Projecta 600W inverter in front. It came with a remote control panel so can be turned off/on from inside the van. You can just see the 100 amp fuse block to the left of it. I have rubber mats covering the terminals, to minimise the potential for shorting. The Projecta DC/DC Charger Controller is in the old battery box, where all the cables junctions remain.

Very nice. I agree that we need to go with a minimum of a second battery or start setting her up for a couple of 6 volts.

Our inverter is a 1000 watt so I'm thinking with a second battery it should still be fine.

Thanks for sharing. That's a great set up.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsx2 View Post
Good stuff. Yes the inverter fan kicked on as soon as I connected the fully charge battery. I turned the switch on the converter off while in storage.

Can you share how your two group 27s are wired? I think we'll be adding a second battery. Like you we stop and sleep at a rest stop for a good six or seven hours.

Thank You.

I no longer have 12v batteries. I switched over to 2, 6v batteries. I ran the residential for 6 hours off the batteries and the voltage was just under 12v at the 6 hour mark. At that time, I reconnected to shore power and called it good enough to stop for a nap.

Tags
battery, inverter