Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #1

Choosing a Back Up Camera

I had posted a request for a iPhone supported camera opinions for my camper but didn't come up with a good option. I've decided to go with a WiFi based camera. My camper comes with a Voyager WiSight setup. After seeing some Voyager WiSight reviews on Amazon there seems to be better reviews on other camera setups. My camper has a setup for a Voyager camera so I'm not sure what camera I should go with. Please post your opinions and thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2554.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	237904  
Old 08-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #2

OK, I'm just asking, but how reliable are WiFi based cameras if you don't have WiFi?
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
OK, I'm just asking, but how reliable are WiFi based cameras if you don't have WiFi?
It's a peer to peer direct connection. It doesn't require an external "WiFi" connection.

WiFi typically has a very long range.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #4

Gotcha! I knew that!
Old 08-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #5

In reading more reviews what reviews I have found of the Jensen Voyager WiSight are not all that good. When I look at Back Up Camera reviews in general Jensen Voyager aren't even listed or mentioned. Are there any recommendations here on the forum?
Old 08-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #6

Here is my two cents. We had a Rockwood trailer and it came set up with a Furrion mount and wiring. We traded that trailer in for a Coachmen Apex that is wired for your type of camera. I contacted Furrion and they don’t have a mount or wiring harness for our trailers. I also asked Haloview which has good ratings. They have a mount but no wiring harness. Since I believe you only need to wire power it should be possible to splice in a Haloview connector and use their mount do you could use their camera. I chose not to do that and bought the Jensen camera. I don’t think it had as good picture as the Furrion but it’s not too far off and works well as a backup camera. There is a little lag if you use it as a rear-view mirror driving down the highway. I would like more options but that is what I found as of now.
F150 XLT 3.5L EB
Tim-Nancy-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:57 PM   #7

I have had 3 wireless cameras.

Furrion was original, plug and play and never missed a beat. Small screen but functional. Trailer was stored outside and after 2 years water was in the camera. I could see the spare and the lane behind me well. Color was off but who cares. It worked great at night until water got in it then it was just a burry light. They don't sell just the camera and prices went from $240 to $500 for a camera so not appealing to me to pay more every 2 yrs.

Had Emmako Digital Wireless Backup Camera as the second for about 3 months. It was not able to hold a picture while driving. Its $150. Great wide angle view when it worked but failed every time I passed a truck...next option. I had cut wiring already so 2 wires to hook up and not hard to do. I tried high gain Wifi antennas but got no signal at all so I changed back to stock.

Went with Haloview. It is able to support the distance to the truck is HD color and night vision is great. It only has a 120 degree viewing angle so you can choose to see the back 10ft of your RV or the lane behind you and guess on the last 15ft behind the trailer. I have been happy for the price point and It costs $250. They sell a furrion conversion kit but again its 2 wires and 4 screws. Their kit fits the furrion mount pretty good but that won't help you I am afraid. They also sell a signal extender kit that I have not needed. I would reccomend this as you can also pair side cameras for $190 as well. Again a 2 wire install and the monitor can be hard wired to work with blinkers automatically or just plugged into the lighter port. An added bonus is audio is supported. This is very helpful to hear someone yell stop when backing but its typically muted on the road.

Hope that helps.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Podder View Post
It's a peer to peer direct connection. It doesn't require an external "WiFi" connection.

WiFi typically has a very long range.
Out of curiosity, if you have the Wifi enabled and looking at the camera, what happens to cell data. I have used these Wifi peer to peer systems and you can no longer use cellular data. You are locked out. Might be good for a tablet but I wouldn't want to use it with my cell phone.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #9

I really do appreciate the feedback. Thanks for those who answered this post.

I've been reading reviews and they're starting to come out my ears LOL. My feeling is that the Jensen pre-setup will provide any wiring I need to install any back up camera. With that being said after reading some web and Amazon reviews I'm considering the ZEROXCLUB HD Digital Wireless Backup Camera. This units seems like one of the better and very good reviewed systems for a very reasonable price. It also has more functions that the Jensens I've seen. I don't think I'm missing anything with this wireless setup but if I am, please point it out.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #10

RVS (Rear View Safety) specializes in rear view camera systems. When I had a connection issue, RVS tech support was able to supply and interchange connector to make the system work. Worth a try. The phone number is available on their website and they are California time. Also, you may want to consider a rear vision system as opposed to a backup version. It is beneficial on the road and backing.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #11

I think the one I just mentioned has that.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Out of curiosity, if you have the Wifi enabled and looking at the camera, what happens to cell data. I have used these Wifi peer to peer systems and you can no longer use cellular data. You are locked out. Might be good for a tablet but I wouldn't want to use it with my cell phone.
On Android you can support peer to peer connections via wifi and connect to a hotspot at the same time on higher end hardware. I did this with my gopro for the last 3-4yrs. You can also do peer to peer wifi and cellular data on all hardware.

I have been able to for several years assuming it is a true peer to peer and not an access point you are connecting to then all bets are off.

Cannot speak to iPhones.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #13

I have a Forest River Surveyor which had the Furrion pre-mount on the rear. I went on Amazon and bought the camera and display. Display is small but does the trick certainly assists when you wish to change lanes. Hope this helps. No issues with connectivity or reception.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
Site Team

This is the system I got on Amazon, last year, for $117.
Works great and quite happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/VECLESUS-VMW7...a-838928970879
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
This is the system I got on Amazon, last year, for $117.
Works great and quite happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/VECLESUS-VMW7...a-838928970879
This might be a good option, the price is now $229.99. There seems like there are many good options out there, more than I figured. Many of these have better reviews the Jensen Voyage WiSight that my camper came prepped with. Sounds like Coachmen has something going on with Jensen.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
This might be a good option, the price is now $229.99. There seems like there are many good options out there, more than I figured. Many of these have better reviews the Jensen Voyage WiSight that my camper came prepped with. Sounds like Coachmen has something going on with Jensen.
Yea, I got it for that price, on Amazon Prime Day sale.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #17

This is a semi new offering from Haloview. It attaches to your existing rear view mirror. Has a front facing camera as well.

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wi...hcam-rd10.html
Old 08-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #18
Kanadian Kamper

I’m using this system and very impressed with the picture quality and ease of installation. Great clip on mirror monitor.
They have a wide variety of monitors and cameras of different shapes, sizes and number of cameras on a system.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-backup-camera

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I’m using this system and very impressed with the picture quality and ease of installation. Great clip on mirror monitor.
They have a wide variety of monitors and cameras of different shapes, sizes and number of cameras on a system.

Happen to know what the screen resolution is since they fail to mention it in their product description?
Old 08-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

That looks like a nice setup but I am a little reluctant to swap out my factory rear view mirror.

Tags
back up camera, camera