Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
The frame is NOT strong enough to support a bike rack ...

I meant the bumper, not the frame.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #42

For some reason I knew what you meant :-) Thanks for the info, I might just go with a front mount for the bikes unless I can reinforce the bumper.
rrtwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:42 PM   #43

Hello anyone out there? I need help on my 2018 17fq
Saturn 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #44

What help do you need?
WNY_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:12 PM   #45

I have sold my 2014 17FQ, but I'd be glad to help, if you'll let us know what's needed.
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
thewheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:00 PM   #46
Coachmen Clipper Fan

My Mods to Coachmen Clipper 17FQ

To add to this thread, in 2016, I bought a 2014 Coachmen Clipper 17FQ from the original owner and have made a few of my own modifications to help extend camping convenience for me, especially at boondocking locations.

The first picture shows an added, second propane tank (vis-a-vis the larger covering), an added second battery and an electrical turn-off switch.

The second and third pictures show additional storage (tool boxes) I installed onto and into the back bumper, reinforced with angle iron. I know that folks will say the bumper can't handle extra weight, but I've basically stood on these and they're not going anywhere, anytime soon. They've been working well for the past six years and counting and I've traveled thousands of miles over different terrain with no issues.

To accommodate the sewer hose, I installed a round tube designed for sewer hoses onto the bottom of the bumper and frame.

Not shown is the fact that I have flipped the axle to give me more space underneath to accommodate the bumper storage boxes / sewer hose installations as well as allowing me to move to larger wheels and tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upgraded Propane - Batteries - Electrical Cutoff Switch.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	251082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box Installations 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	251083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box Installations 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	251084  
Old 04-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn 5 View Post
Hello anyone out there? I need help on my 2018 17fq
Does anyone know what size the outdoor speaker are on a 2918 clipper FQ ?

Also how long do you wait until dewinterizing it. If it goes down to 30 for a night or 2 would that be an issue?
Old 04-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #48

Quote:
How long do you wait until dewinterizing it. If it goes down to 30 for a night or 2 would that be an issue?
What are the temps during the day?

Since you don't have an enclosed underbelly on a 17fq, it all depends how long each night it stays at 32 or below.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:36 PM   #49
Coachmen Clipper Fan

Hi Saturn 5I'm actually de-winterizing my 17FQ on Thursday. I checked the temps for Southeast Michigan and they're going to be well above freezing for the foreseeable coming days and weeks.

In my view, if you have completely blown out your lines so that the very minimum possible water (or anti-freeze) is all that remains, you will be ok, even if the temps dip down to 30 or so for a night.

As far as the speakers, I think they are a "standard" size, I think 5-inch speakers seems to be what I recall. I did have mine replaced last year by General RV so I'll have to look at my receipt (which is in the trailer) and I can let you know what they installed for me.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:53 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFLOYD75 View Post
In my view, if you have completely blown out your lines so that the very minimum possible water (or anti-freeze) is all that remains, you will be ok, even if the temps dip down to 30 or so for a night.
He's asking because he wants to dewinterize, so there will be water in his lines...
Old 04-07-2021, 06:58 AM   #51

Clipper 17FQ thread

Jensen MS5006BR Black 5.25" Dual Cone Waterproof Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPR024C..._GhTo3TvS9GNoF

Don’t know if it changes often, but these are what were in my 2015 17BH. I just used exact replacements to keep it easy.

I’m in southern Ontario and dewinterized on Sunday. The extended forecast didn’t show anything below freezing and I figured the odds were pretty slim after that!
Old 04-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #52

Thnx appreciate the help. Doesn’t sound like my compressor is kicking in on the AC when hooked up to electric at home. Any thoughts??
Old 04-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Thnx appreciate the help. Doesn’t sound like my compressor is kicking in on the AC when hooked up to electric at home. Any thoughts??

Is it a 30amp plug? Most household outlets won’t run the AC, but I’m surprised the breaker isn’t tripping.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
2DogNyte - Yes I do run RV antifreeze through the water lines till I see it coming out of the faucets. I agree that blowing them out with air should remove the water. But I think the small cost of adding the antifreeze is good insurance knowing the damage (time & expense) caused by just a small amount of water freezing in a line. A couple of cups down each drain trap too as you really can't clear those.

The access panels inside the trailer (hot water & pump) come secured with square head screws. Rather than hunting down that driver when I need access I installed screw posts (one end looks like wood screw threads, the other standard machine screw threads) and knurled nuts. Here's a pic.

Attachment 93521

The drawer was an obvious addition as there's no place to keep utensils and other small items at hand. I installed it in the unused spot above the heater.

Attachment 93522

Attachment 93523
Thnx for the idea and plans. My dimensions and most everything else were different but it turned out well!
I used a telescopic magnetic screw grabber to measure the inside dimensions. Just expanded it, removed it then measured it in front and back to ensure the tracks would be parallel.
Thnx again
Old 04-21-2021, 06:59 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
2DogNyte - Yes I do run RV antifreeze through the water lines till I see it coming out of the faucets. I agree that blowing them out with air should remove the water. But I think the small cost of adding the antifreeze is good insurance knowing the damage (time & expense) caused by just a small amount of water freezing in a line. A couple of cups down each drain trap too as you really can't clear those.

The access panels inside the trailer (hot water & pump) come secured with square head screws. Rather than hunting down that driver when I need access I installed screw posts (one end looks like wood screw threads, the other standard machine screw threads) and knurled nuts. Here's a pic.

Attachment 93521

The drawer was an obvious addition as there's no place to keep utensils and other small items at hand. I installed it in the unused spot above the heater.

Attachment 93522

Attachment 93523
Thnx for the idea and plans. My dimensions and most everything else were different but it turned out well!
I used a telescopic magnetic screw grabber to measure the inside dimensions. Just expanded it, removed it then measured it in front and back to ensure the tracks would be parallel.
Thnx again
Old 04-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
Jensen MS5006BR Black 5.25" Dual Cone Waterproof Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPR024C..._GhTo3TvS9GNoF

Don’t know if it changes often, but these are what were in my 2015 17BH. I just used exact replacements to keep it easy.

I’m in southern Ontario and dewinterized on Sunday. The extended forecast didn’t show anything below freezing and I figured the odds were pretty slim after that!
Thnx. I installed the speakers bought as suggested. Appreciate the helo
Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Thnx. I installed the speakers bought as suggested. Appreciate the helo

Good to hear! [emoji1]
Old 05-12-2021, 07:33 PM   #58

17fq heater mod

I was tired of the heat blasting away at the table directly across from it so I installed a few baffles to direct the heat more towards the bed area. Use some old gutters just cut and screwed in. Works like a champ!!
Just made sure to keep them away from the hi voltage wire. Sorry pic is sideways!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A845391F-19A8-4E71-944C-F12C21F76D56.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	254394  
Old 05-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #59

Thnx. Love Floyd. Saw them in 76 at three rivers stadium in Pittsburg. Meddle dark side wish u were here
Awesome!!!
Old 11-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #60

I am looking to buy a 2015 17FQ. The floor plan is perfect for us.
Anything specific to look for when I see it? any known flaws?
Also, any significant changes in the 2014-2016 models?
DenMike is offline   Reply With Quote