Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #1

Clipper vs Viking?

I'm pretty much sold on the 17bh, but I can't figure out the difference between the Clipper and the Viking. Can someone point me to that info or explain? The only thing I can find different in the spec sheets is that the Clipper has Sony radio and the Viking has a Jenson.
TexasBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:37 PM   #2

A friend of mine recently sent an email to Coachmen with the exact same question and the reply she got was that they were essentially the same trailer. The only differences are the name of course, the graphics on the outside, and interior color options on the inside.

I looked at them a few years ago and was really impressed with the fit and finish for an entry-level trailer. A negative experience at the dealer is the only thing that stopped me from purchasing the trailer.

Laura
Old 09-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #3

No difference really.. I have a Clipper 17FQ.. I find there is a fine line between lightweight construction and cheap construction.. Overall happy with the camper but have made a lot upgrades to customize to our liking..

Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies!!
Old 10-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #5

Well... the nearest Clipper dealer is a long way away. Unless something goes dramatically wrong, we're picking up a Viking 17BH tomorrow afternoon!!

I'll be pulling it with an xTerra (5000 lbs rating). The dealer is saying I'm ok without an ebrake controller but he recommends one. Thoughts?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #6

I have a 17FQ and highly recommend you get the brake controller..

Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #7

I tow a 17FQ with a 2011 Ranger. Brake controller, sway control, and WDH. With a short wheelbase tow vehicle there is no way I would not have working trailer brakes and sway control. I added the WDH after a full season of towing without issue. Until the last trip out and I hit the perfect set of dips and unloaded the front axle to the point of feeling like the wheels were off the ground. On paper that shouldnt have happened. This year on the same road we stayed planted. Trying to save a buck could have got real ugly for me. Whats your life worth?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #8

I towed a clipper 15rb across the country this last summer using a Durango with a 7200 lb capacity. You will definitely want/need a brake controller and weight distribution hitch.

I really liked my tenonsha p3 brake controller.

16 Coachmen Catalina 273dbs
13 Ford F-150 6.2/3.73 max tow
G-reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #9

I was stuck between the Viking and Clipper 17bh too, pretty much the only difference was the interior fabric. I liked the fabric in the Viking a little better but the Clipper dealer was easier to work with and offered a better deal.
I tow with a Toyota 4Runner, (5000k limit) which i'd guess has similar specs to your suv. I have sway control/wd and brake controller. Wouldn't go without either...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #10

I and my wife spent 5 weeks making a loop though parts of the west and down Highway 1 in an R-Pod 171 and realized it was not working for us so we also looked at TT's while we traveled. Since it is just the 2 of us we wanted to stay in a smaller trailer and the 17FQ had every thing we wanted. We did look at the Viking also but the wife liked the colors in the Clipper better. Traded as soon as we got home with the dealer we bought the Pod from. He made us a good deal since he had someone wanting a R-Pod and sold it to them right off the back of my truck.

I am disappointed in the gorilla with a caulking gun use of silicon around the windows and other exterior openings. Still working to clean that mess up but overall we are happy with the Clipper.

I tow it with a Toyota Tundra 5.7 that barely knows it has anything behind it. I do use a brake controller.
Ky-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #11

Coachmen Clipper

We went with the Clipper 17 FQ. This forum was helpful in making our decision. It had everything we were looking for. Its definitely a up grade versus what we had. I started out looking locally but, looked on line and found a smoking deal drove 300 miles one way and save thousands . We are happy camper, that is so lame.
Bear Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #12

My xTerra was supposedly pre-wired for a 7-way and controller. I bought the parts, easily installed, headed to pick up the camper. When they checked it out, the controller wires didn't run all the way back!! I pulled it home anyway and the xTerra did fine. I won't go on a long trip until the controller is fixed... but the camper won't move from the lease until after deer season so I have a few months.