Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #1

Coachmen Chaparall 2012 34BHS

Hello,
Anyone have one of these models? We got ours about a month ago and have had two trips. Driving less than 90 minutes to our destinations. I have started to notice some serious concerns with this model.

The dealership tells me that it has a one year warranty but I am new to a new trailer/5th wheel. We have always bought used in the past and this was our first new model.

Outdoor kitchen - door is obviously out of square and was that way from the factory. We noticed this on pickup...big deal but not the end of the world since the dealership said they would repair.

Since then, we have noted many issues and this morning the biggest yet.

While I am working on my homework enjoying a nice morning I turned on a reading light. It was dim....Thought that was odd....Then the fridge showed check...microwave and indoor electric fireplace no longer work. I believe all of this was fine before. No fuses appear to be tripped. The fuses are functioning. The dealership told me I should have a red indicator light when one goes bad on the main power panel. I use a voltmeter to check volts/amps and these were both in the green as they say. Weird? I would think it wouldn't be the main 50 amp cord since this is brand new from coachman. I also plug it in first with the fuse on the park panel off to avoid a spark. This just seems odd to me...Anyone else have issues like this?

Also noted many of the doors have settled on the outside....Both entry doors are now rubbing and the caulk lines are showing they have come loose in some areas where the door frame meets the body of the which tells me the fasteners for the door frames are substandard. For this unit to move a total of about 300 miles since we have bought it and for the exterior doors to behave this way seem odd.

The front access cover (or dirty basement) as some call it has a small plastic hanger on the underbelly of the fifth wheel. If you leave the factory installed door "up" and hooked to the underbelly latch, I noted the plastic underbelly appears to be dropping. Really? Now that is substandard work.

My washout drains for the black tanks are plumbed backwards. It was great to have these drains dump a large clump of stool and tissue paper on the ground right next to the campground drain on our maiden voyage since we have two bathrooms and two black tanks....On our distribution panel for the washouts two connections are present. Neither are labeled by the factory which should have been my first clue and they are in line horizontal. So I hook up the front one thinking this would clean out the front tank...Well, common sense doesn't always prevail. When I bought my hose system the dealership didn't have a y connector in stock and I just acquired one from amazon...So in short, two hoses, one drain, manually change in between water discharge via the cleanout sprayers....Well I am not one to close the black drains since as I have been told when you use the spray cleanouts if the drain valves are left closed you risk increasing pressure within the tank that would translate into damage to seals at various points of connection including the toilet....Not to mention once the tank would fill, you risk overflow but I would hope someone would not let their tanks fill all the way....

Lastly and the best one from our maiden voyage....On the water distribution panel I spoke of. Not only are the two connections for the black spray clean-outs present but also the main water inlet, cable, and the turn valves for the setup. I cannot fill my potable water tank at all. Already been back to the dealership for this and they need to remove the underbelly to inspect. Really Forest River, is this the type of equipment you build? How could you ever let one of your models leave without the ability to fill the potable tank. Thank goodness were on full hookups until October. Otherwise I suppose my 6 years olds would have to miss their summer vacations. Forest River, I am calling you out to stand behind your product and to not produce trash.

There are a few minor other issues but these seem rather ridiculous given this has a manufacturer date of 3/2012.
rnflightfire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #2

Wow, sounds like you got a headache there! Hope your dealer is better than the one I took my TT to to get repaired.

sledhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #3

Hi, I was told by Coachman that to fill the fresh water tank use the black winterize fitting a hose and a jug of water and set the valves to tank fill and the pump will suck the water out of the jug, I haven't tried but I sure hope it works.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #4

Sorry to hear of the bad luck, We just purchased a 2013 coachmen 279BHS and so far we have no issues at all in fact I was quite impressed with ours. Any case Some of your issues you are having seem strange. First when you purchased from your Dealer, did they not do a PDI to check and make sure all systems work and give you a walk through and explain how EVERYTHING functions. (I will never leave the dealer lot until they have shown me that everything works and how it functions) that seems subpar on the dealer side if they did not go through and make sure everything worked before pickup.
kbaerg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, 2012