Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

Coachmen Clipper 17FQ RV Cover

Anyone know about standing on the roof of a Coachman Clipper?
We purchased a RV cover and it seems the only way to install it is to stand on the roof. I canít find anything in my documentation about this. Our Clipper is a 17í model, no built on ladder.
Thank you for any help.
clearn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #2

I have a 17bh. My salesperson said yes, but Iíve read here or on other forums no. Iíve done it but it didnít feel very sturdy, so I try to avoid it. Or I lay down to work on things so as to distribute the weight.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #3

I'd say no, don't try standing on the roof as it just doesn't seem that solid. We went through the same issue when we bought a cover.

We found the best (only) way to put a cover on was to fold it in half then work it on front to back using some 2x4s as lifting poles. Have someone on each side working to get the cover over the antenna and AC unit. It's not something you want to do each weekend. We put the cover on in the fall and leave it off all summer.

When it's off you should cover the tires from direct sun. A great idea (not mine) is to put a piece of plastic rain gutter over the awning to keep it from rotting.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
I have a 17bh. My salesperson said yes, but Iíve read here or on other forums no. Iíve done it but it didnít feel very sturdy, so I try to avoid it. Or I lay down to work on things so as to distribute the weight.

Thanks for that. I agree it doesnít feel right.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
I'd say no, don't try standing on the roof as it just doesn't seem that solid. We went through the same issue when we bought a cover.

We found the best (only) way to put a cover on was to fold it in half then work it on front to back using some 2x4s as lifting poles. Have someone on each side working to get the cover over the antenna and AC unit. It's not something you want to do each weekend. We put the cover on in the fall and leave it off all summer.

When it's off you should cover the tires from direct sun. A great idea (not mine) is to put a piece of plastic rain gutter over the awning to keep it from rotting.

I actually purchased two 10 foot sections of schedule 40 pipe and put caps on them so as to not rip the cover. Still a challenge though for sure. Great idea for the awning also.
Thanks for your reply.

Tags
cover, coachmen