Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #1

Coachmen Freedom Express 204 RD bumper rating?

Anyone know what the bumper rating is for a 2018 coachman freedoms express R/D? I wanna put a rack on the back but can't find anything on bumper ratings .

Thanks
Branvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

0 lbs for a bike rack. The weight of the bikes will rip the bumper off.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Most of the RV's I have seen in the past few years have a sticker on the bumper that states the weight limits, usually 300# as best I remember. I have a Freedom Express 310BHDS and it has that very sticker on it. But--I wanted to add a bike rack that would hold one adult bike and two kids bikes. Having looked at other RV's on the lots and when camping my bumper seems to be made of a thicker material than a lot of the others. Yes, it is the square type that doubles as a sewer hose holder. When checking out the various bike holders I was surprised that almost all of the ones I looked at did not state the weight of the bike holder itself. I did find one that did and the part that holds the bikes folds down, a feature I liked. The weight of the bike holder, one adult bike, and two kids bikes were right at 130# so I bought it and am using it. Last week we traveled approximately 110 miles to a State Park and back with no problem. That is not to say there will never be a problem. I check the welds where the bumper is attached to the frame each time I load up the bikes and am considering installing a set of those bumper braces just for a safety measure. Maybe go to Fores Rivers website and send them a message requesting the info you need will help.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

Bumper is very thin. We put our bikes on the inside over the dinette. We took the unit out on a 700km treat last week and no problems at all
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	144121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	144122Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	144123
NickHeaps819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #5

Really 0 lbs? So the Ubolt Hitch and a bike rack would cause the number that's welded on to falll off?? It's welded to the frame though? Is it bsmall cause it's hollow??
Old 07-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branvice View Post
Really 0 lbs? So the Ubolt Hitch and a bike rack would cause the number that's welded on to falll off?? It's welded to the frame though? Is it bsmall cause it's hollow??
The Freedom Express line is an ultralight trailer and frame, therefore the bumpers are generally made of things metal with weak welds.

Loaded bike racks mounted to the bumper, have the bike weight held out and away from the bumper.
Since TTs don't have shocks, the bouncing causes the rack's weight to pull back and down on the bumper. This action can eventually cause the welds or metal to fail.

The only safe way to do this on an ultralight, is to have a receiver welded and braced to the frame. But this mod may void the frames warranty, if you have trouble down the road.
As was said, some ultralights have warning stickers on the bumper stating this.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branvice View Post
I don't remember what mine was but I sent an email to Coachmen. He sent me a diagram and info on the limit. Do a search there are some things you can do. There is this that I have seen and some people swear by it.

https://www.amazon.com/4SQUARE-Safet.../dp/B00JASCNEE
Old 07-11-2017, 03:10 AM   #8

Damn! I bought the UBolt hitch and a Small dirt bike rack that connects into it. Sales guys said that 250 lbs would be gtg.. I guess I would be more worried about the hollow bumper colapsing than the welds breaking?

I wonder if you take tie downs and attach them to dirt bike rack and secure them to frame points underneath would secure enough along with the Hitch...
Old 07-15-2017, 03:30 AM   #9

Bumper Rating for Bike Rack?

Our solution is to stand our bikes up in the bed of our Ridgeline and anchor them with bungees on the various tie downs. The term "bumper" is typically a misnomer for light weight TTs. Does well to hold the sewer hoses but not much else. (Sorry no pic available, but you get the idea!)

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express - 192RBS
2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Last Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #10

I had the opportunity to tour the Freedom Express Factory while attending the FROG Rally last week. I was being shown around by Norb, one of the FE sale persons. I specifically asked about the rear bumper and the fact that they have a sticker on them saying not to load anything. I told him that I wanted to put a bike rack there and he said there should not be a problem. They should be good for up to about 160lbs. So if you stay with a two bike setup you should be fine. They just don't want people adding a hitch and then trying to pull a vehicle of boat or something heavier. He definitely said a bike rack would be fine.
stevegotl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom, freedom express, coachmen