Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #1

coachmen freedom express 204rd

Power awning ; what if the motor fails ? Can not see an override feature or mechanical device to retract awning . No probs to date , but just wondering . Clearly , the unit can not be towed with awning extended . ( Coachmen Freedom Express UltraLite )

2016 Ram 1500 4X4 ( 3.92 / 5.7 Hemi )

Andersen Hitch
johnnyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Just A Member

There are 2 screws on motor end of awning and you remove
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Just A Member

If you search there is a procedure someone posted on here
Old 08-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #4

Johnnyice we are in the process of buying a 204rd how do you like your camper. We too will be towing with a ram 1500 5.7 and I was curious what kind of gas mileage you get. We like the camper a lot and are looking forward to getting it home and going camping with it. Thank you
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Johnnyice we are in the process of buying a 204rd how do you like your camper. We too will be towing with a ram 1500 5.7 and I was curious what kind of gas mileage you get. We like the camper a lot and are looking forward to getting it home and going camping with it. Thank you

Nice couples trailer , like the rear corner windows , nice size , great for ventlation . My RAM is a 4X4 with a 3.92 rear . I live in Canada , the imperial gallon is different from the US gallon ...depending on the terrain , avg 11.3 mpg ( the US conversion would be about 9.4 mpg) You will have to augment your mattress with something to make it a bit more comfortable ...not sure what we are using presently . I am using the Andersen Hitch ( 3350 ) easy to hook up , only 64 lbs complete .

Andersen Hitch
Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #6

I was just reading on this form someone with a 204 RD his vinyl floor was lifting up from air getting under the floor while towing. Have you had this problem or have you heard of this problem before? We like the floor plan the small Vibe we have now is just to small for us.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #7

Quote:
I was just reading on this form someone with a 204 RD his vinyl floor was lifting up from air getting under the floor while towing. Have you had this problem or have you heard of this problem before? We like the floor plan the small Vibe we have now is just to small for us.
No issues of that nature you have described .

Andersen Hitch
Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #8

Quote:
We just got ours about a week ago and pulled it about 350 miles through some small hills in the Ozarks and back home to central Oklahoma. I have a 5.0l F150 crew cab 4x4 with 3.73 gearing. The fuel milage display on my truck is fairly accurate and it reported anywhere from nearly 13mpg when towing relatively flat at 62mph to 8.5mpg when pulling through a lot of rolling hills at 65 - 70 (2 lane road - trying not to slow traffic behind me). It's highly dependent on how fast you drive. Much over 60mph and I find my truck in 5th gear often (6 speed auto).

You had mentioned the vinyl floor coming up - ours isn't glued down in the rear storage compartment for whatever reason and is a little curled along the edge. Not a huge deal really. The only real issue we've discovered with ours is the stone guard on the front isn't fastened well along the bottom at one point (staples were not placed well). Debating on whether to take it to the dealer for repair or wait for a few more trips to see what might 'shake loose' and have it all fixed at one time.

Other observations - the water pump is a bit noisier than I'd like. The strap that secures the TV will rub on the screen and scratch it (put a foam pad between it and the screen when traveling). The bed is on the very firm side.

We really love the rear dinette more than we thought we would. Were looking for a small, no-slide couples trailer with a couch instead of dinette and just couldn't find one that appealed to us. We might take out the dinette, build an end table over the water heater in the corner and install a couple recliners if they would fit.

Hope this info helps. Sorry to hijack the thread.
eflyersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #9

We just bought a 2019 204RD and like the trailer very much. The only issue so far is that the back window that has gap between the two window panes in the centre that can allow water to enter the RV. Anyone else have this issue?
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
Just A Member

Is your window a slider??? If so is it in the track correctly
Old 10-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #11

Yes it's a slider and the window is in the track. The aluminum center is slightly bowed out so it creates a gap in the center. The left side window which is the same size is also bowed out in the center that leaves a slight gap. It's too bad the didn't use a gasket between the two windows. I told the selling dealer about it and he said they noted the problem and we are suppose to keep an eye on it, whatever that means.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #12

I would certainly consider taking it back to the for fixing if there is any chance of water getting inside. I will say that the slider windows on mine are probably the one disappointing things about it.

I'm planning on taking mine back near the 10 month mark - before the warranty is up, and having them correct anything that needs correcting in one trip. But a potential leaky window would require an immediate fix.

If you were to take a water hose and run some water over the seam, would water get inside? Might be worth checking so that you can ask the dealer to duplicate the test to show them.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
eflyersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyersteve View Post
I would certainly consider taking it back to the for fixing if there is any chance of water getting inside. I will say that the slider windows on mine are probably the one disappointing things about it.

I'm planning on taking mine back near the 10 month mark - before the warranty is up, and having them correct anything that needs correcting in one trip. But a potential leaky window would require an immediate fix.

If you were to take a water hose and run some water over the seam, would water get inside? Might be worth checking so that you can ask the dealer to duplicate the test to show them.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
If I was to spray water at an angle then yes water would come in. Straight on probably not. If you look from inside at about the center latch location you can see the "outside". I notice that the back window latch doesn't secure the window very well because of the gap. The window on the left side also has the issue but not quite as much. Have a look at yours and see if it's the same.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyice View Post
Nice couples trailer , like the rear corner windows , nice size , great for ventlation . My RAM is a 4X4 with a 3.92 rear . I live in Canada , the imperial gallon is different from the US gallon ...depending on the terrain , avg 11.3 mpg ( the US conversion would be about 9.4 mpg) You will have to augment your mattress with something to make it a bit more comfortable ...not sure what we are using presently . I am using the Andersen Hitch ( 3350 ) easy to hook up , only 64 lbs complete .
We bought a 'My Pillow' mattress topper and got to two 'My Pillow' pillows for no additional charge. Wow, this really makes a comfy bed!
Old 12-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #15
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
We bought a 'My Pillow' mattress topper and got to two 'My Pillow' pillows for no additional charge. Wow, this really makes a comfy bed!
We were considering a new mattress and I wondered how much of a difference the My Pillow topper would make. I have their pillows at home and love them. The topper is $260 vs $800 for a new highly rated mattress (60x80" Queen).

The 2015 Freedom Express 246RKS we just bought used came with a brand new, still in the plastic mattress. The original owners bought a much larger trailer and new tow vehicle, but kept their existing mattress which they had upgraded some time back. So their "new" unused mattress from their new trailer is in our 246RKS. Hard as a brick to my back though.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, freedom, freedom express