Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS Antenna

Purchased my Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS last winter. Overall, I'm happy with it, but I'm disappointed with TV reception from antenna. Previous trailer was a Rockwood 2604. When visiting same parks we previously visited in Rockwood, we only pick up roughly half the number of channels we picked up in the Rockwood.

I'm just curious. Are others disappointed with antennae reception? Has anyone replaced the antenna? If so, what did you replace it with and what are your results?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Regards,
Keith
SKOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Are you turning the power to the antenna on? It's got a small button to push, mine is on the right side of the TV console.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #3

Yes, everything is set right; booster button is set correctly. I'm getting stations, just not as many as I did with my former trailer. Former trailer had antenna that would raise up, then you could change its direction. Antenna on current trailer is permanently raised and does not receive well.

I'm mainly interested if others with same trailer/set up have the same concerns. And I'm also curious if anyone has tried replacing the antenna with something that might be more receptive.

Thanks for your comment.

Regards,
Keith
Old 09-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOM View Post

I'm just curious. Are others disappointed with antennae reception? Has anyone replaced the antenna? If so, what did you replace it with and what are your results?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Regards,
Keith
[/FONT]
As you can see in the signature line, I have a 246 RKS and overall, very happy with it and the dealer. Other than a microwave door that would not open (which was replaced quickly), no issues.
Outside of that.....television reception off the antennae is terrible. I've made sure the antennae booster is on, but still it's awful. The antennae on mine is fixed and cannot be raised nor can it be rotated.
We tend to camp further back in the boonies and not too interested in television to start, so it's not a huge issue for me. DW....on the other hand...would disagree with me.
I would imagine a mod could be done with better antennae installed or an external separate setup.

One other thing I noticed recently when staying at a campground that offered Direct TV is that there is not an external port for satellite cable entering the camper. Apparently the satellite signal is not compatible with the coax used for cable. The dealer offered to install one, which I didn't deem necessary.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #5

Smile

On our 2012 Lexington, we had a Winegard omnidirectional antenna; poor or null "of the air" reception in most CG.
Replced it with King Jack rotating antenna: WOW ! Many stations; DW glad so...

If you are open to happiness, go for it.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #6

Maine,

Thank you for verifying my experience. I have the same fixed antenna that you have. As I've said elsewhere, the Rockwood I owned previously with rotating antenna picked up many more stations at same campgrounds I've stayed in using my Coachmen.

Herve,

Thank you for the King Jack antenna recommendation. I'll be looking into it or a similar one.

When weather is good and we're in areas with plenty to do, I don't mind being without TV. But when weather is bad and we're stuck inside, Then it's nice to turn on the tube for a while.

Again, thanks to both of you gentlemen for your comments.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCampingFan View Post
One other thing I noticed recently when staying at a campground that offered Direct TV is that there is not an external port for satellite cable entering the camper. Apparently the satellite signal is not compatible with the coax used for cable. The dealer offered to install one, which I didn't deem necessary.
I also concur with your angst with the stock antenna on these models but it is what it is and from what I have been told, to put a different antenna in there would be cost prohibitive.

As for your question about DirecTV, I have been told that the cable/sat port on the trailer is a dual purpose in the sense that when the amp is turned on, it's antenna and when turned off, it is sat/cable.

I can't personally speak to a campground provided signal however, I have a DirecTV tripod setup that I use and I found that the internal wiring works just fine, including using a SWM/Whole home setup as long as the amp is turned off.

HTH,

J
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, coachmen, freedom express