Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggle View Post
Here are a couple pictures from when we picked it up...VERY, VERY happy

Very nice. I really like that front cap.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #162
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Here are a couple pictures from when we picked it up...VERY, VERY happy
Looks great! That is the trailer I walked through and decided I wanted a Coachmen.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #163

pwrplay...

The first 20 miles home were a little squirrely…I have never towed anything in the past so I am not sure how much was related to my newness or the 20 mph cross winds, heavy tractor trailer traffic, etc. We have our first trip scheduled at the end of the month and it should be a good test (3hr trip to Wisconsin Dells), which will also be my first chance to have it fully loaded and plan to get it on the scale on our way up to the Dells.

MPG sucked! Got 18.1 on the way down and the avg dropped to 9.8 by the time we got home. I am not going to cry over that because the memories we will create with the wife and kids are priceless!!

Next Steps/Things Learned:
· I still need to tweak the Prodigy brake controller. I couldn’t figure out the right amount of brake control, so I need to spend some time on that.
· I realized I could not get the TT level from side to side with the stabilizer jacks (rookie mistake), but figured it out after I started loading the camper with all the goodies I bought and came across the lego blocks. I won’t make that mistake again…
o Lesson learned on leveling…use the legos or a 2” x 6” for side to side…use the power lift for front to back
· I need to figure out if there is a master power switch that can shut off everything. I seem to be pulling some power off the battery even when everything is turned off.
o i.e. the clock on the stereo stays on as does the clock on the microwave and that seems to drain the battery. I have kept it plugged in for the last few days until I get time to look at it this weekend
· I fired up the furnace to test it out and it creates a lot of fumes. We could not stay in the TT, if it was cold and we needed to use the furnace. I need to determine if it is just new and is burning off some stuff or if there is something wrong with it.
· I was surprised at how dirty it was when we picked it up. It is brand new, but it was filthy!!

Overall, I would say we have had a great experience so far and I realized that no matter how many youtube videos I watch, I have a lot more to learn and I am looking forward to this adventure!

Thanks again for all the support of this rookie J
Hornswoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #164
Always Learning

· I realized I could not get the TT level from side to side with the stabilizer jacks (rookie mistake), but figured it out after I started loading the camper with all the goodies I bought and came across the lego blocks. I won’t make that mistake again…
o Lesson learned on leveling…use the legos or a 2” x 6” for side to side…use the power lift for front to back

You seem like you've figured this out, but your stabilizer jacks are NOT for leveling. You need to use blocks to drive up onto:
RV101/Leveling

· I need to figure out if there is a master power switch that can shut off everything. I seem to be pulling some power off the battery even when everything is turned off.

Yep. You need to install a battery disconnect switch on the battery. IMO- strange that campers don't come with them. Before I got mine, my camper, with everything "off", will run my battery dead in 5-6 days.

· I fired up the furnace to test it out and it creates a lot of fumes. We could not stay in the TT, if it was cold and we needed to use the furnace. I need to determine if it is just new and is burning off some stuff or if there is something wrong with it.

Yep, this is a "new" smell. Open the windows and let it run for a while. It'll burn off.

· I was surprised at how dirty it was when we picked it up. It is brand new, but it was filthy!!

Yep- some dealers don't quite clean them up like you'd think they would.

Have fun! It's a continual learning experience!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #165

As for your prodigy setting you want to find a nice straight area. Then when holding the brake override all the way on you want your gain set as High as you can before lockup of your trailer tires. Just trial and error start with say 7 drive and a slow and steady speed apply override if your tires don't lock up then raise your gain and try again. Once you find your lock up point just back off your gain .5 or 1 what increments your controller works in. Hope this helps. Also prodigy I believe can be mounted in any position vertically but make sure it is mounted straight with you vehicle.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #166

ehorn...what do you mean "mounted straight with your vehicle"? Mine is mounted below the steering column near my right knee. It follows the angel of the panel, which is about a 45 degree angle.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #167

What I mean is your controller needs to be pointed in the same direction as your vehicles is pointed. Your unit where it mounts to its mount haha has pivot points that you can move it up and down that is what I mean by vertical adjustment and that doesn't matter with the prodigy. But your horizontal mounting needs to be straight. Where your vehicle is pointed your controller needs to point that direction as well. Man I'm not good at explaining things hope this is as clear as mud for you.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #168

so the brake controller needs to be parrallel to the ground and the the digital screen needs to point towards the driver or TT...am I right? Right now, I suspect mine is not mounted correctly
Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #169
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Don't want to argue here but a true twenty amp outlet is what I have pictured above.
What you have pictured is a 20/15 amp universal outlet .
A true 20 amp device has one prong turned sideways.
Agree Turbs, some folks just like to stir. Both types will work as long as the wiring and breaker are good for 20A.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #170

Parellel to the ground not necessary pointed straight towards trailer yes
Old 05-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #171

Quote:
so the brake controller needs to be parrallel to the ground and the the digital screen needs to point towards the driver or TT...am I right? Right now, I suspect mine is not mounted correctly
Be sure, to double check that your hitch is setup correctly. When that is done, the Armada pulls this thing really nice. Most dealers do not set the hitch correctly for your vehicle. What kind of hitch do you have? If friction bars, do you have 2?
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #172

I have the Equalizer 4-Point Sway Control WDH. I might have to tweak it a bit
Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #173

Quote:
I have the Equalizer 4-Point Sway Control WDH. I might have to tweak it a bit
When you measure the front and back wheel wells, make sure the automatic leveler did not turn on between the loaded and unloaded measurements. That will scew your results. There are a lot of videos on install and setting up the equalizer hitch on youtube. Take a look at the manual if needed. Also, I just bought my equalizer 2 days ago. I wanted to upgrade from the basic wdh with fiction bars. I will be installing it when I get back in the states in early June.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #174

Does anyone know how to play the TV sound through the speakers in the camper? I've been fiddling with the Jensen stereo system/DVD player, but I cannot figure out how to run the TV sound through it.

Please let me know if there are any tips. Thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #175
daydreaming about camping

If it is like mine there is no way. The dvd player goes to the tv, but there is no output from the tv back to the Jensen unit.

I believe the Jensen unit has a rear auxiliary input that could be used, but not many tvs in n this class have an audio out.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #176

Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #177

Well we just completed our first trip in the 292BHDS and we had a blast! We didn't run into any significant issues and knock on wood things went very well.

I can definitely tell I am towing something, but I had very few instances of white knuckling.

The front of the camper seems to be a little bit up, but I don't think I want to mess with the WDH to put more tongue weight on the Armada.

I did weigh it on the CAT Scales as we were leaving for the trip. Fully loaded it came in at the following...

Front axle = 2,820
Rear axle = 4,140
Trailer axle = 6,620
GW = 13,580

I'm not sure how to figure out the weight of the camper, without unhitching it and weighing it separately, but didn't care to do that this time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4237337416.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	31446
Old 05-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #178

Quote:
Well we just completed our first trip in the 292BHDS and we had a blast! We didn't run into any significant issues and knock on wood things went very well.

I can definitely tell I am towing something, but I had very few instances of white knuckling.

The front of the camper seems to be a little bit up, but I don't think I want to mess with the WDH to put more tongue weight on the Armada.

I did weigh it on the CAT Scales as we were leaving for the trip. Fully loaded it came in at the following...

Front axle = 2,820
Rear axle = 4,140
Trailer axle = 6,620
GW = 13,580

I'm not sure how to figure out the weight of the camper, without unhitching it and weighing it separately, but didn't care to do that this time.

Attachment 31446
You will at least need to reweigh twice. Weigh with only the TV and then weigh the camper attached. With math at that point, you can figure everything out. You need to do both weights close together without changing the passenger or items in either the camper or TV. This will also prevent the gas level in the TV from changing significantly in order to mess up your weight numbers. It does look like it has a tad rise on it. Might wanna go down one more hole on the shank. You can also get the attached and unattached measurements on the wheel wells of the TV. Be careful not to start the TV and have the auto leveling come on when trying to get the different measurements. Overall, it does not look like you are far off. Just may need to tweek a bit more. I am curious about your front axle weight when unloaded? I wonder if it is a little light up there with the trailer attached. Glad you had a great time!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #179

Glad you like the trailer. We love ours.
What's the GVWR on your Armada's rear axle? I have a feeling you are over. You may need to transfer a bit more weight to the front axle and TT axle.
Your TT tongue is a bit high as well. you might want to lower that a bit.

These are just suggestions and are by no means necessary if you feel the rig is handling OK. The tongue sitting high like that makes it more susceptible to sway.
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #180

The Armada has the following limits...

- GAWR Front = 3,699 and I was at 2,820 on my first weigh in. That is 76%

- GAWR Rear = 4,299 and I was at 4,140 on my first weigh in. That is 96%

- Max GCW = 15,100 and I was at 13,580 on my first weigh in. That is 90%

I would say I need to adjust the WDH to try and transfer more weight to the front axle (balance things out a bit)

I also need to lower the front of the camper.

Do I do that by lowering the anchor positions of the sway bars?

Rick