Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #1

Coachmen Freedom Express Owners question

Hi, we have the 321 Liberty Edition and I want to add a second A/C to the bedroom vent. Since it’s only a 30 amp unit, I added it’s own dedicated power inlet this weekend and wired up to the roof vent area while awaiting delivery of a 13,500 Dometic Brisk Air 2 unit this week.
I’m now worried that there may be an issue with the vent opening. Most vents are basically 14x14 (+/- 1/8) however my vent measures 14 1/2 x 15. Is this an area for concern or nothing to worry about and continue with the install?
Thanks for any replies!
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	885AE5F1-E40C-4BDF-A9CF-A4606B71FFBF.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	201059  
Buzzcut39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #2

Dave, I also added a 2nd. A/C unit about two years ago and used the same male power plug you have pictured. I use a dedicated 10ga. 120vAC extension cord for this when connecting at the CG. As far as the the opening where the vent was: When the A/C unit comes find the gasket that goes between the roof and the A/C unit and hold it up to the vent opening to assure that the gasket will sit on the roof and not hang down into the vent opening. IF the gasket is actually, say-14" x 14" when measured on the inside of the gasket, then it may not seal with your vent opening. Being as the pan of the A/C unit is pretty large and flat on bottom I would not hesitate to go find a rubber gasket material that comes on a roll and make your own gasket. This gasket material is 1/4" thick and maybe 2" wide, has a sticky side, is usually sold at big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot, Menards in the plumbing section. It would not hurt to place two layers of this gasket so that it is near the thickness of the original A/C gasket. The usual rule of thumb is to tighten the A/C bolts until the supplied gasket is compressed to 1/2 of it's original thickness. The gasket material I recommended will also compress. Where you have cut the hole for your male plug and on the inside of the camper wall I added a 6" x 6" metal electrical box. This was a place to terminate wiring and I also added a 30 amp re-setable circuit breaker. The CB is mounted into the side of the box so that the push button to reset is easily accessible. I ran the wiring to the A/C in plastic wireway which I had to heat to bend to match the curve in the ceiling, the wireway is hardly noticeable. Living and camping down here in SW Ga. this was a mod that has certainly paid off. Good Luck with your project.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, freedom, freedom express