Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

Coachmen Quality Control Issues on a new Spirit 2659BH

Guys and Gals - I am torn. I have been waiting over a month for our new Spirit 2659BH to be received by General RV and it finally came in this Saturday. I stopped in last night to get a sneak peak and what I found was very concerning. I am suppose to go in tomorrow to take delivery.

The Bathroom door won't close.
The bottom bunk won't latch up so you can bring larger items thru the rear door.
The wood grain contact paper is peeling off - or not stuck on well on some of the bathroom trim molding.
Wood where edges meet the mattress are are very jagged and rough. staples sticking out of cabinet drawers under the island dinette.

They must be running low on stainless appliances so they installed a black microwave. It shows with all stainless appliances.

As much as we want to upgrade our little 2015 Catalina 213BH it has been a solid little trailer for us. We just put new tires on it 9 months ago - and I resealed the roof with Dicor in the spring. It has given us zero problems.

Are these petty? Should I just accept this and buy it? I'm very torn.

FYI - I didn't realize it but General RV wants to charge a freight fee of $1,989 and a prep fee of $1,787. This seem really high to me.

Appreciate the feedback anyone can offer.
WKUalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #2

wow, WHERE are you located for a almost $2,000 delivery fee???? crazy...

also, WHAT are they 'prepping'??? Any work they do, if because of the failure of the factory, is PAID to them under warranty, AFTER you receive the unit. There is really NOTHING for them to prep? That's simply a secret term for 'PROFIT'. wow. : /

these all seem like small and 'normal' issues that many campers have, from the factory, and during delivery to the dealer... nothing major, but yes, the dealer should 'fix' those things for you, but there also should be NO CHARGE to do any of that. FR might can explain 'why' a black microwave, if that's something that you did not want, and it was not advertised that way - the build sheet, along with brochures, should really show exactly what 'should' come as stock for the coach - unless s/s microwave with an 'option' or 'upgrade'.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #3

I am near Brighton, MI.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #4

With that many visible issues from the get go, I would be concerned. I would be appalled at paying $3800 on top for that level of quality? I am likely walking away.

I was on another forum and my thoughts were that the folks getting new RV's now are probably getting an even lesser quality build (I know stop laughing) than usual from most manufacturers. Between supply chain issues, covid related employee issues, I honestly do not see how even the already pitifully low quality level of the industry as a whole doesn't fall off at least a little.

The $1787 prep fee is honestly almost comical to me, considering what you are seeing at first glance. The black vs stainless fridge would be a deal breaker for me if I was buying new.

The problem is everyone and their brother wants an RV right now. My biggest concern would probably be... If I can see all this lack of quality control in the areas that are EASILY visible, what might be wrong in the areas where they KNOW you can't easily see.

Good luck, either way!
horn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #5

I had an experience with General Rv, didn't buy anything, and decided I would never buy anything from them either.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUalum View Post
I am near Brighton, MI.
Near Clearwater MI.? Check out Haylett RV, no delivery fees.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #7

New delivery

Stay away from General RV, I have had to many people that have had bad experiences. I was ready to buy from them at the camper show in Novi, then they surprised me with the "extra charges" to the tune of $3800. I went to Gillette RV in Lansing, not far from Brighton. No delivery charges, just taxes and plates extra, and the price was lower then General RV. I had some issues with the new camper, but fixed them myself, they are rushing them out the door to keep up with demand. Quality control has taken a hit. Good luck.
Diverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #8

FWIW, I purchased a 2021 Spirit 2557RB earlier this year. We ordered it from Roskopfs RV in WI just before COVID hit. Then the state shut down and we completed the purchase in late May.

We had a few minor issues after the first couple of trips. A leaky faucet line, some loose trim, leak from the toilet water supply valve. Nothing serious and nothing we wouldn't have been able to fix on our own if needed. We set up an appointment with the dealership and they fixed it within a day under warranty. This was pretty much used as a trial run to see how responsive they were and we weren't disappointed.

I guess the lesson is buy from a dealer you trust. We looked at social media, google reviews and BBB prior to purchase. People love to complain so it is usually easy to find a place that has a poor reputation. We couldn't be happier with how we have been treated.
Jonnybme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #9

Just wanted to provide an update. We did end up going through with the purchase. They waved the prep and freight of $3800 and also included the installation of a slide cover. We did take it this weekend to Holly Recreation and the only thing we have found is a leaky toilet supply line as Johnnybme mentioned. And not sure how I didn't catch it but I am missing a window valance in the master bedroom. Calling General today to see about getting these taken care of.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #10

That's good news, good work in getting them to wave the ridiculous fees. Couple of quick checks to add, check the connections under the sink, both campers I have bought had loose fittings under sink, also check your heater outlets, I have had disconnected lines and broken flex lines, common issues to find out on new camper before needing heat. Check everything electrical and propane operating systems. If you like Holly camp ground, try Pontiac lake rec. Also very nice with a lake and lots of walking trails,. Glad it worked out for you.
Diverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #11

Still waiting on General RV to call me back with an appointment. Have waited over 5 days with repeated follow up to the sales guy and service. Still no response. I am not happy about this.

Crawled under the rig today to get the Dexter axle serial numbers so I can order a spare set of bearings to keep in my toolbox and saw several areas of concern.

1. It looks like saw marks in the darco underbelly weatherproofing membrane.

2. One of the screws and washer pulled thru the heated underbelly area.

3. The frame is already rusting in multiple places.

4. Also missing a window valance on the driver side bedroom window that I didn't catch in the rushed walkthru.

How do I attach pictures?

Old 08-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Still waiting on General RV to call me back with an appointment. Have waited over 5 days with repeated follow up to the sales guy and service. Still no response. I am not happy about this.

Crawled under the rig today to get the Dexter axle serial numbers so I can order a spare set of bearings to keep in my toolbox and saw several areas of concern.

1. It looks like saw marks in the underbelly weatherproofing membrane.

2. One of the screws and washer pulled thru the heated underbelly area.

3. The frame is already rusting in multiple places.

4. Also missing a window valance on the driver side bedroom window that I didn't catch in the rushed walkthru.

How do I attach pictures?

Click on this link to our standard sticky "How To" thread ==> https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...sics-6778.html and follow the instructions in post #7.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #13

see attached. The cuts in the darco is concerning. It doesn't even look like they used primer. And General RV has been a pain in the butt to deal with from the get go. Never again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_143840.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	235989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_143900.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	558.7 KB
ID:	235990   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_143944.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	235991  
Old 08-11-2020, 09:46 AM   #14

Anybody have any thoughts on the pictures?
Old 08-11-2020, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Anybody have any thoughts on the pictures?
It looks like typical build quality of today’s RVs. I deal with it by repairing the flaws myself to the best of my ability, and moving on. If warranty parts are needed for my repairs, I have been able to get my dealer to order them from Forest River at no charge to me.

I do not let the dealer touch the RV, as they could just make things worse.

Tags
coachmen, quality