Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #1

Coachmen solar hookup

New to forum. Purchased a Coachmen Freelander 21 QB motorhome. Motorhomes are new to us but have had pull trailers for years. Question has anyone purchased this or similar unit that is prewired for solar with a Furrion plug receptical already installed? I'm looking for a portable 200 watt solar charger system to attach to it for boondocking. I have found out so far that I need a 2 pin Power Industrial circular connector on the solar charger. Any help would be appreciated. Is the 200 watt too much or not enough?
Warren1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. The amount of solar depends on your planned usage. There are some folks on the forum that will chime in that are experts on solar good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #3

It is probably too late to jump in here, but I have a 2018 Freedom Express. That Furrion port is just an easy plug in to your battery. It is said to have a 10 amp fuse on it. If true (I haven't verified this yet), that means that you are limited to less than 2 100 watt solar panels since each 100 watt solar panel produces nearly 5 amps.

It was suggested to me that the wiring was substantial enough to change out that fuse for a 20 amp fuse. Better yet, just directly connect your solar panels and charge controller directly to the battery with alligator clips.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #4

Go Power sells good solar systems that give you access to those Furrion connectors. You can also get them on Amazon for 15 dollars.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
Transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren1414 View Post
New to forum. Purchased a Coachmen Freelander 21 QB motorhome. Motorhomes are new to us but have had pull trailers for years. Question has anyone purchased this or similar unit that is prewired for solar with a Furrion plug receptical already installed? I'm looking for a portable 200 watt solar charger system to attach to it for boondocking. I have found out so far that I need a 2 pin Power Industrial circular connector on the solar charger. Any help would be appreciated. Is the 200 watt too much or not enough?
I just came across this string from this past summer. Have you made solar upgrades/additions yet? I'm one year into a 2019 Coachman Freedom Express and have made numerous electrical upgrades so I'd be happy to give you my two cents.

TT: (new) 2019 Coachman Freedom Express 231RBDS
(old) 2001 Jayco Qwest 256D
TV: 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
(old) 2005 GMC K3500 Duramax
GChrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChrist View Post
I just came across this string from this past summer. Have you made solar upgrades/additions yet? I'm one year into a 2019 Coachman Freedom Express and have made numerous electrical upgrades so I'd be happy to give you my two cents.

I am also putting solar into my 2018 231 Freedom Express. Could you tell us what you have done so far?

So far, all I have done is upgrade my WFCO charger so that I can correctly charge my LifeBlue 200 AH lithium battery. I have a 90 watt Go Power suitcase solar panel with 40 feet of cable that I plug directly into my Furrion solar port.

I also have a Renogy 50 amp DC-DC charger with MTTP controller that controls alternator and solar charging, but it is not set up yet. I have ordered two, 200 watt solar panels that I will also use in suitcase fashion.

My biggest issue is deciding where I am going to place my battery and solar control center. I am going to have to cut some holes in the TT and I am apprehensive about doing so.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
Transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
I am also putting solar into my 2018 231 Freedom Express. Could you tell us what you have done so far?

So far, all I have done is upgrade my WFCO charger so that I can correctly charge my LifeBlue 200 AH lithium battery. I have a 90 watt Go Power suitcase solar panel with 40 feet of cable that I plug directly into my Furrion solar port.

I also have a Renogy 50 amp DC-DC charger with MTTP controller that controls alternator and solar charging, but it is not set up yet. I have ordered two, 200 watt solar panels that I will also use in suitcase fashion.

My biggest issue is deciding where I am going to place my battery and solar control center. I am going to have to cut some holes in the TT and I am apprehensive about doing so.
Phil it sounds like you have this pretty well covered and a nice set-up. My set-up is similar with slight differences. If you're boondocking, and why would you complete these upgrades if you're not, the battery storage is going to be paramount to your success. You went with Lithium, which is the best choice, while I went with two 6v cart batteries that give me 235ah, which is nice but definitely heavier than your set-up. I price shopped and got my batteries from Batteries Plus for $130 each if I remember right. They are Duracell and are made by East Penn Mfg, so that gave me a little confidence as East Penn is synonymous with quality batteries.

Along with the battery upgrade I installed a Renogy battery monitor. You expressed some concern as to where to install. I also had hesitations but in the end I mounted it on the face of the curbside night stand (front bedroom lays over the large pass-thru compartment). I ran the wire from the front battery box down along the A-frame and drilled a hole in the front bottom edge of the storage compartment. Up thru the hole into the storage compartment, then ran the wire along the top of the storage compartment, secured with wire hangers and tape, over to the backside of the curbside night stand, drilled the minimum hole and mounted the battery monitor with two-sided tape.

With the battery monitor in this location I can open the door, stick my head in and look over at the battery monitor, which is convenient.

I have also upgraded my converter from the WFCO to a Progressive Dynamics converter to decrease charge time when running a generator or charging at home.

And I have a 100w suitcase from Renogy with an extension cord and the adapter to plug into the Furion receptacle on the outside of the trailer.

So far this system works well for us, and we are always boondocking. If we are going to be in the forest where solar is limited I bring the generator along for insurance. If we are going to be in a more open area then I bring the solar suitcase. If we are only going for a few days I bring nothing because the battery bank can handle it without assistance.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the DC-DC charger as I just haven't had an issue with charging while moving. That's probably because we are typically not moving - when we set camp we are there for the duration. But if that changes I will be installing the Renogy DC-DC charger.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #8

Smile

Greg, Sounds like a nice setup. So your batteries are still on the A-frame. I was hoping you had relocated them to the storage bay so that you could give me some pics and pointers . I am going to relocate the batteries either to the storage bay or under the bed, but I haven't figured out just how I am going to do it.

As you know, the big negative of lithium batteries is their cost. It can bite you twice; when you buy them and when someone steals them. My remedy for the later is to put them inside the trailer.

MY idea with the DC-DC charger is to be able to use the pickup truck as a periodic generator while at camp as well as while in transit. It will charge the fast charging lithium batteries at up to a controlled 50 amps. It is my understanding that a seven pin RV plug will only charge your house battery at about 5 amps.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #9
Transportation

I opted to keep my batteries on the A-frame (with modifications) instead of putting in the storage compartment because I didn't want to lose the storage area. But I totally understand the concern about theft. I couldn't put my flooded batteries under the bed due to venting concerns but with lithium that is acceptable.

I like the idea of using the tow vehicle and the DC-DC charger as a temp generator. I can see that install in my future. It seems the projects never end...

Tags
coachmen, solar