Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #1

Concerns for steep driveway

Hello everyone. My wife and I are about to move into the travel trailer world after being in a pop-up trailer for the last 11 years. We will be taking possession of a 2022 Freedom Express 257BHS in about 2 weeks and can't wait to get camping.

I do have a concern that I did not really think of as it was never an issue with the pop-up. From the street, my driveway goes up at a slight 3 degree angle, then drops at 11 degrees before leveling out in the backyard. The 11 degrees part happens in a fairly short distance (maybe 20').

Initially, my main concern was if there would be clearance at the back bumper when I back it down the hill, but now I'm wondering if I should be more concerned about the hitch remaining attached to the truck! At the peak of the hill, the truck could potentially be 3 degrees down at the front, and the trailer could be 11 degrees down at the back. Is there a danger of the hitch detaching with that potential 14 degree angle?

Any help that you can provide to this travel trailer newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220414_134653.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	271513   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220414_134723.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	271514  
Attached Images

Bluenose_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:58 AM   #2

First, welcome to the forum!

I'm hoping someone understands your problem better than I.
If your hitch is seated properly, it shouldn't come off. Whether your bumper will clear is another matter. Are you going to back it into the spot? That third picture makes it look like you might have a tight fit.
Old 04-15-2022, 04:54 AM   #3
Defender of America

Are you backing in or facing forward when you enter the driveway?
Either way, when one component is going down the driveway the other end of it is sticking up in the air and rising. The unit attached has one end going up with the other end nose diving. Scraping bumper on the trailing component is the worst that will happen. Then the Issue becomes complicated when the 2nd component starts heading down.
I didn't look to see how long your unit is but if your tow vehicle goes down first; once the tongue clears the apex it will point down. If the trailer is to long before the axle meets the apex it could scrape on the high point of the driveway until the axle passes the apex and drag the bumper.
From where I live - if your truck has no issues getting in or out of that driveway then I would back down. At some point the length of the camper becomes the critical factor. Weight is the next thing because gravity always works!
Don't know if this helps.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:56 AM   #4

Yes, I will be backing the trailer down the driveway. There is more room than the picture seems to show. I don't use my garage to park a vehicle in, so I'm fine if the trailer sticks out in front of the garage door. I began wondering about the amount of hitch movement after I read a post that talked about the maximum left/right and up/down movement that a ball hitch was capable of. The post mentioned a max of 15° side to side, 10° downward movement, and 15° upward movement for a ball style hitch. That 15° of upward movement is my concern. If you picture trailer just cresting the hill to go down the driveway and the truck still backing up the front side, there is a potential for 14° difference between the trailer hitch and the ball on the truck.
Bluenose_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:41 AM   #5

Pull the hitch out of the truck and put the ball in the coupler of the trailer. You can then easily move the hitch up, down, or sideways and you will know for sure what angle you can achieve with your set up. Your angles may well be different from what others have found depending on the shaft size of your ball and the way your coupler on the trailer might be built. If those angles will work you will need to use trial and error to see it it will go down the drive without dragging on the ground.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:55 AM   #6

I see the concern. What I would do is start looking for plan b in your nearby area for trailer parking. Not because I think you will have an issue, but just in case you do. In my area it’s hard to come by a decent storage location, so despite ours being over a half hour away, we continue to use it. But we cannot put ours in the driveway or backyard either.

I would be a little concerned about scraping the driveway, because it’s a nice looking driveway! But I feel like once you get to a certain point where the scraping may start, the rear wheels may be starting to cross over the high spot and the bottom of the hitch may just miss.

I’m picturing as you go up and over a hill…the apex part of the hitch would pitch up right? Like this? ^ Then back down as it follows the truck. In this case it’s going to level out to flatter ground. But I’m picturing as if you were starting in the back and cresting this area, not backing in. Though I feel as if it shouldn’t be different?

The key is go slow. Stop and look, go slow, stop and look etc. If there is traffic on your street waiting for you, take a breath, wave to them, and continue to go slow. Don’t get flustered and try to rush, that’s when bad things happen. The extra couple minutes isn’t going to hurt anyone.

My first trailer, one of our first trips our site was really low, compared the main drive. I didn’t have a problem backing in but getting it off the hitch I couldn’t go high enough. I had to put a block of wood under the tongue and stand on truck to get it loose and it barely cleared. Then to level it I had to run the jack all the way to the ground. Had to get creative, but backing it in I had someone watching the whole time for clearance. I didn’t have an issue when we left either once I was hitched back up.

Go slow, stop and look. If you don’t think it will work, plan b. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

The vertical curve on the driveway looks like a big radius, I think it should work. Ball hitches have a lot of movement in that direction and unlike a fifth wheel.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #8

Aside from the drive angle, it appears the neighbor's fence will be an issue when making the pivot in/out at the street.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Aside from the drive angle, it appears the neighbor's fence will be an issue when making the pivot in/out at the street.

Do you mean the fence on the other side of the street? I thought the street looked large enough but that is always a concern.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:42 PM   #10

If you are using a WDH, you might want to remove the bars before moving in/out of the driveway so that you don't over stress the system.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Tpc} View Post
Do you mean the fence on the other side of the street? I thought the street looked large enough but that is always a concern.
The 3rd photo shows a fence very near the drive. It appears to be in the immediate neighbors front yard
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

« Seals | GFCI Outlet »