Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #1

Cooling off the bedroom

Looking for some advice on what you all have done to cool off the bedroom in your big fifth wheels? We have a 2017 Chaparral 392MBL but only have the one main room A/C. It gets VERY warm for me in the bedroom...almost unbearably hot. I’ve tried closing all the vents except the bedroom with the A/C on, a fan at the main window around dinner to push the air out the side windows etc but nothing seems to work.

I was quoted nearly 3,000 to add a second unit and am seriously considering it over the winter for nest summer but would like to make sure there is not another trick I am not aware of that will help.....thanks!!!
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Looking for some advice on what you all have done to cool off the bedroom in your big fifth wheels? We have a 2017 Chaparral 392MBL but only have the one main room A/C. It gets VERY warm for me in the bedroom...almost unbearably hot. I’ve tried closing all the vents except the bedroom with the A/C on, a fan at the main window around dinner to push the air out the side windows etc but nothing seems to work.

I was quoted nearly 3,000 to add a second unit and am seriously considering it over the winter for nest summer but would like to make sure there is not another trick I am not aware of that will help.....thanks!!!

Is your camper prewired for 2nd AC? $3K seems a bit steep to me. My previous fifth wheel was Prewired and I ordered the top unit and ceiling ducted part and installed myself for less than $800. The hardest part is getting the rooftop unit up on the roof.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Cover the bedroom windows or use reflectix. We used towels to cover ours when we were in Tennessee a few weeks ago and that helped a lot. I also used this fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it really helps move air.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #4

I feel like when the sun is beating on the roof that the duct work is almost worthless. I feel like I lose all the cold air to warm duct work in a hot ceiling. I open the air dump and use a box fan to push the cold air around (when im on a 30 amp site and can only run one air)
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Is your camper prewired for 2nd AC? $3K seems a bit steep to me. My previous fifth wheel was Prewired and I ordered the top unit and ceiling ducted part and installed myself for less than $800. The hardest part is getting the rooftop unit up on the roof.

I assume yes, it is pre-wired as there is a plate next to the roof vent that talks about the A/C connection, I have a black temp sensor at the light switch and my thermostat is set up for 2 zones.

With reference to price, everything in Canada costs significantly more than down South but that seems like too much of a difference for sure. What did you need to do to install it once it was on the roof???

As for the other suggestions, we keep our blinds down all day but I’ll try the towel truck and look into the reflective coating for sure!!! Thanks everyone!!!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #6

I just installed a 2nd A/C unit in our Keystone Sprinter. It cost me less than $550 to do it myself. The hardest part is removing the old vent without damaging the roof material. Once the roof is clean, you just set the unit over the hole and everything else is done from inside. My Coleman 13.5 came with the gasket attached and no sealant is necessary.

I cheated. I used my neighbor’s man lift to put the unit on the roof.

I also found an easier way to remove the vent without damaging the roof.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...al-166034.html

Drive it to Pennsylvania and I’ll help you install it.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:20 PM   #7

Can't even imagine only 1 AC on our chaparral 360ibl. The main 15k definitely would not cut it for us.

I did remove all my cieling vents and resealed (metal tape)the duct to the cieling flange. There was a lot of blockages and cold air escape paths to the attic.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Site Team

You may need a second unit, but the first thing to do is open up the A/C grill and all the registers and look for any leaks and/or blockages. Pay attention to the terminal ends of the ducts. A lot of time they're left open so you're dumping cold air into the attic space and wasting it. Also the partition between the supply and return is commonly found missing or loose and leaking air between then effectively short circuiting the air path.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You may need a second unit, but the first thing to do is open up the A/C grill and all the registers and look for any leaks and/or blockages. Pay attention to the terminal ends of the ducts. A lot of time they're left open so you're dumping cold air into the attic space and wasting it. Also the partition between the supply and return is commonly found missing or loose and leaking air between then effectively short circuiting the air path.

Is there somewhere I can get step by step instructions on how to do this...I am very much still learning
Old 08-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Site Team

There are a few threads here where people have found problems with the stuff I've mentioned (myself included). If you'll search for those threads, you should find out how to check those things.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #11

Tracking. Interested.
AWSMGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #12

I don’t have that unit so don’t know it is an option, but I did just pull the shelving from my front cap today and filled it with r30 insulation and put the shelving back in. I doubt it will help you enough without the 2nd ac, but it should help if your unit will even allow. I have a Columbus 320rs.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #13
Site Team

Here's a thread that's got a lot of things I've done in it, but it also has some pictures of our A/C ducting and registers that I replaced.

Bamas Rambling Mods
Old 08-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #14

The only thing to do is add 2nd ac! 1 ac will not cool a big fifth wheel, rv dealers need to let people know it wil not cool it! All the other things that others have suggested will help but you wil not be happy until you get #2 you could do yourself look at U tube I am sure it is on there about installing ac yourself
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #15

For installation instructions and troubleshooting of RV air conditioners, a good source is YouTube on the internet. I have a 32 ft. Primetime Crusader Lite that only came with one 15K AC unit, my 5th wheel was not wire for a second unit. I found out real fast that in the heat of Southwest Louisiana, one AC unit was not going to make me a happy camper. For approximately $850.00, I installed a second electrical circuit breaker box and 30 amp cable to run to campground post, plus a new 15K AC unit and inside ceiling control. The hardest part of the installation was getting the new unit onto the roof. I finally got my son to use the crane on his company truck. I am sure that your can order items from Ebay in Canada, that is where I got my new unit.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #16

One way to get the A/C up there:

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #17

I had my AC unit in the back of my pickup and lowered the camper nose as low as it would go. Transferred it from the box of the pickup to the roof was easy at 72 lbs for this unit.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...tioners_B57915

Tags
bed, cooling, roo