We picked up our 2016 unit new in March of 2017 from a dealer in NC. Love the layout of the camper and have camped several weeks over the last year.
In April we pulled up for the evening and when I went to connect the power I noticed this nice crack in the side wall above the kitchen slide. Left rear slide.
Contacted my selling dealer and they informed me warranty had expired. I sent them over a photo and they were kind enough to send it over to the Forest River warranty dept since it was so close to the warranty expiration. The response back was to get a local quote for repair in SC where I live. So I found a local RV repair shop and took it in. They kept it a few weeks and took the attached video. They stood on the back bumper and moved up and down. I did the same when I got it back home and I am a mere 160 lbs. So you know this is occurring going down the highway. Since the local shop does warranty work as well, they contacted Forest River with their findings. The response back was that something was broken on the slide mechanism. After seeing the movement I was hesitant to believe the slide rack was broken. The slide moves in and out properly, and doesn't move out going down the road... To satisfy the requirement I dropped the belly cover and took several pictures showing that the slide rack was in good condition. It looks like they may be willing to patch the crack under warranty, but I pushed back stating the crack will come back if no structure is repaired/stiffened. Haven't received a response back yet.
The front two slides on the left don't move like this. The slide on the right side moves similar to the video, but not as bad. For long trips I haul 3 bicycles on the back rack, but they are not over the weight limit posted on the rack.
Have never traveled with water in the fresh water tank. Have traveled across town with the grey tanks full, but they are in front of the axles...
Any one else run into this problem?
I appreciate that they didn't turn me away from the start, but putting a band aid on this isn't the fix.
That's a significant amount of movement. I suspect that something has definitely broken in your slide mechanism. Your slide is not supposed to move like that, not even regular flexing has that much movement. I would remove as much trim as possible to see what your slide framing looks like.
There are several braces and and bolts securing your slide motors and whatnot to the frame, and I think something has let go. This will persist until you'll have trouble moving the slide at all. Does this have hydraulic slides? I don't see any gearing on the side of your slideout to indicate an in-wall system.
As far as warranties go, I would state that this issue must have occurred within the warranty time period, but it's only presenting symptoms now.
I don't have pictures from the outside edge at the moment, but its not broken there either. If your theory were correct would expect to see a broken arm or weld, but none to be found. It is clean inside though. Nice to see they painted those parts as well.
Hi, I have had a 38 Foot Wild-wood Heritage Glen for 3 years Mine cracked on our first trip in the same place as yours. I plated it with high tensile Aluminum plate and it has stopped it getting any worse. I am in Australia. I believe they have not used a big enough Header across the Slide opening. Disappointing as the problem would be eliminated with a bit more thought. Apart from that we love our Fiver and live full time on the Road.
Sorry for the delay. I finally picked up the camper last week. It took them a little over a month to get it done. It was structural. The aluminum box tube in the wall was flexing. The shop showed me a video before and after with the exterior cut away. I requested the videos, but they haven't sent them. I probably won't keep bugging them for the videos since it is fixed... The tubing was welded only on the top/bottom, so not all the way around. If you take a look in your basement storage, you will see the above flooring is welded in the same fashion. They welded the exterior side of the tubing, and added additional metal at the joint. Other than being the clean spot on the side of the camper, you can't tell it was repaired. Time will tell, but the shop warrantied the work.