Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Day of working on the 360 IBL and found a treasure!

Well, we got the flat tire fixed...the repairman put on the spare so FIRST thing we will do when starting our travel is to immediately stop and get new tires.

We worked on it this weekend, getting acquainted and there were a few things we noticed. The small windows on the side of the couch do not open and neither does the long window in the hallway to the bedroom. Probably not a big deal. And there are a few spaces that could have been utilized for more storage but were not. We'll decide later if we're going to change those.

As for the bunk room....we started taking out the bunks. We saw an online video that said people were making offices, rooms with treadmills and laundry rooms out of this small bunk area but haven't actually seen it so I will continue this post to show how we did it and hopefully help somebody else out.

We were resigned to the fact that there might be a slide mechanism under the lower bunk and that it was possible that area would have to remain elevated. After removing the mattresses DH found the lower bunk drawers were not very big and the two drawers could have very easily been made taller and wider for better storage. The bed platform was cut in half with the front part being attached to the top of the drawers with only two screws.

However the larger back half had a surprise.... a lifting spot already drilled in it.

And here's the hidden area---and it's flat!! WAHOO!! And since there was a lift hole, I'm wondering if it's designed for storage. I mean what a treasure trove area! It would be great for extra blankets and pillows and stuff you didn't need to get to a whole lot. That part of the platform was not nailed, stapled, tacked or glued on top of the base so it appears to have been meant for storage.

Here's the top bunk with half of the platform removed which was screwed into the base with just one screw on each side. It is securely attached to the walls with the inside boards staped/screw nailed together. Now to figure out how to get both bases out of the room and the door. We had wanted to maintain them in case we decided to sell in the future and the new owners wanted the bunks, but that might not be possible

Can't wait until both platforms are moved so that I can straighten up this window covering!
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #2

What will you be using the room for?
Luckydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #3

I am a scrapbooker and cardmaker so it will be my little craft cave
Old 02-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

Was wondering if you could do me a favor. Since my 5th wheel is covered and has 4 feet of snow all around it, I need to get exact measurements (width and length) of the bunk mattress pads as well as the queen bed mattress.

I have someone customer making foam pads for both and they said that despite the floor layout measurements posted by the manufacturer, the mattresses are usually a few inches shorter then what they show.

I'd GREATLY appreciate it if you could do that from one 360ibl owner to another!
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

blwnsmoke: I would be more than glad to do it for you. We will be back out there Saturday so would sometime Saturday afternoon be ok?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #6

Saturday is fantastic, thanks so much!!
Old 02-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #7

It would have been nice for other owners if they would have made an access door from the outside of the coach to that wasted storage space.

I wonder if they did not because of weight concerns? Could you overload the slide out?
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #8

I agree that an outside door to storage under the lower bunk bed would have been great but that's an added cost and requires extra installation, etc. And it might not even be possible to do because of the slide mechanism.

Yes, I definitely think the slide could be overweighted if you stored heavy stuff in it. I thought it would be a great place for extra blankets and pillows, maybe seasonal stuff that you don't have to get to often. The mattress has to be removed to get good access to it and there are no hydraulic lifts like under the master bed. But since it wasn't fastened down in any way and had the lift hole on it, I'm assuming (yes, I know the old saying about people who assume) it was meant for storage of some sort. It would be a bit difficult to put anything heavy in there and then retrieve it, especially if close to the window. But extra blankets and pillows and short storage boxes with seasonal clothes could easily be stored there.

When we do the craftroom, I will have a desk in the area with a lot of my supplies in wheeled totes and collapsable bins. The desk, totes and bins will be in the bunkroom when the slides are in. We'll move out the livingroom and kitchen slides, move the totes and bins in there, extend the bunkroom slide, move the craft material back in the room and then reverse the procedure for travel. That way the slides won't have the extra weight on them when moving in and out...there will only be the desk which won't weigh more than the bunks themselves that will be removed.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #9

blwnsmoke: The mattresses in the bunk room are an actual 48w x 64l x 4 thick. They have a tag on the front that says Comfort bunk series WT 86580 and here's two pics of the tags on them:

and

The mattress in the bedroom is full queen size or 60w x 80 l x 7 thick and here's a pic of the tag on the side of the bed:
Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #10

I SOOOOOO greatly appreciate you doing that for me!!! Just spent a bit of time snow blowing 3 feet of snow around my camper. Time to get the 8ft ladder out tomorrow and "roof rake" the top of my camper. Getting nervous with the amount of snow on there with another 12-16" tonight.

Once again, thanks so much!!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

oh blwnsmoke....I cannot imagine that kind of weather. It was 80 here today and DH was in shorts as we worked in the 5er (haven't decided on a name yet). Peach tree out back is blooming BUT we are supposed to have one day of cold weather next week with temps down to 18 and possibility of rain/mixed sleet/snow. But two days later back in the 50s. Hoping you guys thaw out soon!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #12

It's part of living in New England lol. We are running single digits for highs and negative single digits for lows..

You may enjoy this night time pic lol. Hopefully we thaw out for Memorial Day weekend.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #13

That is such a beautiful picture. We don't get much snow here but when we do, I love the stillness and quiet that seems to accompany it. Here's the scene from my back yard. Seems it's not going to get as cold as originally thought in the next few days...only down to 32 and the rain/sleet mix will be just slightly north. Hope these blooms survive!

and

Hope the thaw hits you guys soon. Stay warm!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #14

Beautiful pics... So I decided to clean the snow off the camper today and couldn't believe how deceiving it was being so far away until I climbed up. Holy crap!!!

Anyways, sorry about going off topic so much in your thread... Looking forward to seeing your progress with your camper.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:44 PM   #15

Holy cow! The snow is almost as deep as you are tall. Just incredible!!

We did get the top bunk out and the bottom bunk loosened today. Have to wait until this week to totally remove. Ordered my craft desk,will post more pics later after we get it put in the room. The bunks were VERY securely attached to the frame work of the slide, at the top and the bottom

For those of you who have a 360 IBL, the slides for the drawers are only held in the backboard to the particle board by one screw. If you use those drawers much, you might want to go through the drawer opening and put in another screw, just so they are more secure
Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #16

Same thing for the pull out pantry drawers. I already had to fix two in my 327 RLTS.
chap327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #17

Finally able to finish removing bunks from the room. Dh halfway through with installing the desk and hutch. Yes, it is blocking the windows but it's the only way a desk would go in this room without hanging over the slides. DH could have made me a corner desk but he just doesn't have time these days. One of the windows in the bunk room (the lower one) is a fire exit but since the room isn't going to be used for sleeping and there is an exit through the front door directly across from the door to the bunkroom, I don't think it's a safety hazard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1577.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	71554   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1583.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	71555  
Old 03-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #18

Oh and those with a 360 IBL may already know this, but... we have the older style interior that does not have the little end table areas with the drink holder and electrical outlet on the sides of the couch. Was disappointed in this because it meant that if I worked on my laptop while on the couch, I would have to run an extension cord behind the recliners to the outlet under the dining table or over to the side of the tv. While DH was working on the desk, I was figuring how the sofa sleeper worked and discovered there are two electrical outlets behind the couch. A PITA to get to but will plug in a power surge protector strip in each one and put one on each side of the couch. Was glad to have found those.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #19

Well after all the weather and work delays, DH finished the desk and it's in place. Now just have to figure out placement of supplies and other storage units and how they'll be moved around when the slide is in. The stools belong with the kitchen bar but are here for the picture. Will post more pics when it's all done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1600.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	71979  
Old 03-22-2015, 11:39 PM   #20
Always Learning

That looks great! My wife and I were just talking about removing a sofa out of our bunkhouse and installing some shelves/cabinets.