Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 04:22 AM   #1

Difference in GVWR's Clipper 17FQ ?

Hi last month we picked up our first travel trailer a Coachman 17FQ, so far we love it and already have 10 nights in it, with a 1000 miles under our belts. I know that is small potatoes to some of yous but hey you have to start somewhere! Any way my question to you fine people is why does Coachman list in it specs that the GVWR is 3518 and a dry weight of 2731. My sticker says GVWR 3635, minus the 729 cargo weight gives me a dry weight with full propane of 2906. An increase of 175 pounds!?? I have checked numerous dealers cut sheets and it seems the newer models 2016,17 are running heavier. Older models on YouTube like the 2012s are listed at 2731. I believe that when coachman first came out with the clipper that it really did weight 2731, physically all the models look the same same air and appliances, so what is coachman doing different that added the extra 175 pounds? My tow vehicle is a Mariner (3500) I would like that 175 pounds back, I know i am not going to get it! Just wondering that something had to change in construction to add this extra weight from original design. Thanks in advance and I love some of the Mods you people have posted. Awesome stuff :-)
TripleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:25 AM   #2

Listed weight are base trailers or averages. Actual weight will include options.

The brochures will have wording something like:

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* – is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.
*Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.

CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) ** – is the amount of weight available for fresh potable water, cargo, additional optional equipment and accessories. CCC is equal to GVWR minus UVW. Available CCC should accommodate fresh potable water (8.3 lbs per gallon). Before filling the fresh water tank, empty the black and gray tanks to provide for more cargo capacity.
**Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.

Each RV is weighed at the manufacturing facility prior to shipping. A label identifying the unloaded vehicle weight of the actual unit and the cargo carrying capacity is applied to every Palomino RV prior to leaving our facilities.

and.....................
All information contained in this brochure is believed to be accurate at the time of publication . However, during the
model year, it maybe necessary to make changes Forest River, Inc., reserves the right to make all such changes
without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment well as the addition of new models
and the discontinuance of models shown in this brochure.Therefore,please consult with your Forest River dealer and
confirm the existence of any materials,design or specifications that are material to your purchase decision.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #3

Hi Oaklevel, while I understand that advertised weight is just an average, to be off 175lbs is significant. All the newer clippers are within a few pounds of each other. And believe me I have looked at dozens of dealer sheets for that specific trailer. There are numerous videos of older clippers that have actual weights of 2731. Most of the new clippers have the same features as the older ones, 13.5 air, microwave, etc most off the difference in model year's are just cosmetic. Coachman must have done something different in construction such as a different frame, roofing, wall panels etc to increase the weight so much. We are not talking 20 lbs. It would be interesting to see some of the older clippers posted their GVWR on this thread.Thanks
TripleG is offline   Reply With Quote