Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #1

Disappointed in the quality

Hi all...

I need to vent about my 28SE Coachmen trailer. I purchased it in 2015 and I love this trailer. Unfortunately, it is a piece of junk. It has been repaired numerous times. In 2017, the dometic a/c unit stopped working and it was due to a bad sensor. 2016, the slide jammed. This was due to the factory leaving a screw under the slide room and it jammed the unit. Last year, the TV antenna stopped working. Had to install a new upgraded antenna. Now it is back in the shop again. The Joint Wrap is delaminating around the entire trailer and the wheel well fenders are cracking. The AC unit stopped working so that has to be replaced. Two of the slide seals are cracking and need to be replaced. For this visit to the dealer, the cost of repair is now at $3700.

This is my third Travel Trailer in 15 years and each one has had major issues. My last trailer was a Keystone Bullet and the slide cable came off the pullies. $5000 repair for that and it took Camping World 5 months to complete.

My first trailer was a Keystone Outback and the slide came off of the tracks.

I only use my trailer 8 times a year and we don't go far. What garbage they produce. So disappointed.Time to sell and get out of RVing.
obxfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #2

Amen. After 25 years of fighting, I'm on my last one !! Wish somebody would steal it.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #3

Amen. Compared to any other big ticket consumer product, late model RVs are junk.

I totally understand the need to vent.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #4

Knock on wood. This is the first trip that I haven't had to fix something on my 2016 3010 DS. Going home tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #5

And it's only going to get worse for a while, the Covid Campers are driving the production lines so hard that QC is a joke. Even the higher end are going to see degradation of quality while they try to capitalize on the panic buyers. The market in 12 to 18 months is going to be littered with crap used campers once the Covid group figures out that buying an RV was not the solution to their vacation dreams. The market will return to pre-covid levels and layoffs will occur and production lines will return to normal. This is not a good time to buy an RV or try to get one fixed for the real RVer.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
And it's only going to get worse for a while, the Covid Campers are driving the production lines so hard that QC is a joke. Even the higher end are going to see degradation of quality while they try to capitalize on the panic buyers. The market in 12 to 18 months is going to be littered with crap used campers once the Covid group figures out that buying an RV was not the solution to their vacation dreams. The market will return to pre-covid levels and layoffs will occur and production lines will return to normal. This is not a good time to buy an RV or try to get one fixed for the real RVer.
Well said. People that are new to RVing, and bought RVs in a desire to travel more safely due to COVID-19, are likely in for a rude awakening when their RV quality problems become apparent. An RV is not at anywhere near the quality level they might be used to with a modern automobile.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Well said. People that are new to RVing, and bought RVs in a desire to travel more safely due to COVID-19, are likely in for a rude awakening when their RV quality problems become apparent. An RV is not at anywhere near the quality level they might be used to with a modern automobile.

or a Hotel Room with room service.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post

So true! This panic buying of the RV dream, comes with the harsh reality of maintaining a unit.

If you致e got a unit that you are happy with- better hang on to it! The sloppy work on the production lines will clutter the used and new Rv market.

Sad that our Rv industry will have to go through the next 2 years of being bad mouthed by the new owners who will come to realize quality control does not exist when units are being rushed out the door.

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #9

We bought new a 2018 Mini Lite. It has been fantastic from day one!
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #10

Quality is down because of greed.
Profit before anything.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tav View Post
Amen. After 25 years of fighting, I'm on my last one !! Wish somebody would steal it.
no thanks.
HelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #12

5 Year Mark

I have found that a camper last about 5 years before the problems really start. I am on my 3rd. Just bought a 2021 Vibe 26RK. Hope for the best.
aornstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #13

I hear ya! I have a 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S and overall I have been happy with it. But unfortunately it has now been in the shop for 5 weeks, needing two new axles and tires. Took my dealer 2 weeks to get to it. Then Forest River took 2 weeks to approve the warranty work. Now another week has gone by and the axles still have not been shipped from Dexter (axle company). By the time I get it back, I will have lost half the camping season. If this were any other business, they would be out of business. Very frustrating!
dnorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #14

As many have reported the quality of most of today’s RVs is terrible and well reported. My 14 years old Country Coach Intrigue had fewer quality issues in its time than my five year old MB Solera. Most of the quality RV manufactures went out of business around 2008. There are a few left, but Forest River is not one of them.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #15

Our first new MH was a 1977 Trek 22' on a Dodge cutaway. Perfect layout and no slides. One failed trailer hitch and one brake caliper replaced in 13 years of use. It sat outside through 7 northern IL winters until we built a home and a garage to store it. We most often towed an 18' Starcraft cabin cruiser to WI fishing holes and several FL trips. We sold it for nearly what we paid for it and only because we made a move to FL. What a great investment when the kids were young.

Fast forward to 2015. We sold the FL home and decided to travel, so we invested in a new/year old 27' Class C. One trip to where we spent our honeymoon, and a 3 mo trip to our FL haunts. Recalling our boon docking days compared to the commercial campgrounds of today was not the enjoyment of yesteryear.

But the real letdown was the developing spongy floor. Not due to water intrusion, due to shoddy construction. Floor construction was comprised of lino over 3/8" OSB over an aluminum grid of tubing the thickness of three layers of a soda can with Styrofoam equivalent in grade to an $8 4'x8' sheet of Styrofoam at HD, resting on a thin underlayment. The Styrofoam will crush on its own. Supposedly, the laminating process would stiffen the construction-NOT. Once that cheap foam starts to compress, there ain't no goin' back.

What we learned on our last camping trip weaned us from the desire to camp. And, time is catching up to us. We now have another Florida home and lovin' it.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #16

Time for some RVers to buy a Boat. That値l fix the problem. Boat provides a hole in the water to throw money in 😂😂
ALL entertainment is expensive and aggravating. Have fun. Have an RV, boat, and a race car I would love to sell 🙏🙏
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #17

Why I didn't want any slides

All these comments about issues with slides was the primary reason I DID NOT want anything with slides; just seemed that it was something else to go bad.

I was also concerned with weight and since it is just my wife and me, our Coachmen Viking 21RD has been fine. We were looking for something that would give us a dry (and clean) place to sleep, ability to make some meals and have the ability for rest stops when we want.

While we've done a couple of mods such as electric tongue jack, EMS and detachable power cord, and others, this has been a simple, and economical unit for us. Would I want to have two or three other folks in there with us, he!! no. I had PM'd another 21RD owner on this forum and I think his reaction has been similar. Like anything else, the more features and amenities, the more that can go wrong. Hope I didn't jinx myself

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #18

Happy with my Mini-Lite

I told my GF a while back that if I'd read forums before purchasing a travel trailer, I probably wouldn't have. That said, I have been very pleased with my 2016 Mini-Lite 2109S. We ordered it to our specs, don't know if that makes any difference, and haven't had significant issues that were cause for regret.
The Furrion DVD is toast, meh, $35 player from Amazon and we're back in business. I had an outlet that the plate wouldn't stay on because the plastic was cracked, since replaced. Handle broke on the bath sink, replaced with a nice Moen with a little higher spout. Most recently I had a propane tank hose crimp separate from the regulator, two new stainless steel mesh hoses just ordered.
I feel blessed not having any major issues but one should never assume that they are trouble free.
Now if I've jinxed myself....you'll be the first to know.
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Time for some RVers to buy a Boat. That値l fix the problem. Boat provides a hole in the water to throw money in 😂😂
ALL entertainment is expensive and aggravating. Have fun. Have an RV, boat, and a race car I would love to sell 🙏🙏
You might be right! The last four boats,combined, have been less trouble than our last MH.

The reality is that people's goals change over the years. I had a camper before marriage and I used it in Wyoming and Canada to hunt with the guys. When first married, we honeymoon camped. DW and I traveled to some remote areas of Canada as-well-as more local areas before the kids. As the family increased, the MH was our get away-any and all chances we could get. All of those memories were unequivocally enjoyable-and reasonable.

On retirement, we moved south and were without a camper. Then bought a second home to be on vacation in different climates. Then the urge to camp again. Then the urge to fall back to what we felt more comfortable with.

Through all those years, we have remained flexible. We always discussed our moves before hand. That discussion always included an exit plan. So, as we exit camper ownership, our son has taken the flag. He wants a camper and wants us to tag along on occasion. He is asking for our input. It rubbed off on the next generation. Each of us, here, are on different paths that cross here and there.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #20

Quality Uncontrolled

Echo most of the comments regarding missing quality in RV builds. I selected my second 5'er, a 2020 Cardinal Limited after searching and inspecting many brands. It was built in late 2019 and was delivered to the dealer in 2020 with a few major items not installed, and other items damaged in transit to CA. Other items needing fixed from my extensive PDI and subsequent inspections are numerous and after 6 months, I am still awaiting the parts and installation. I recommend that for the RV builders to survive in the future, the industry must change to quality assurance systems throughout the design, engineering and manufacturing processes and all new safety & quality standards be developed, implemented and enforced. Unfortunately, the way to reach these will require regulation by the Department of Transportation,(& possible other agencies) and the way things operated at the DOT, change only comes from fatal accidents. A new way to build in quality will be difficult and ultimately will increase the cost of the individual recreational vehicle to the consumer, and it will be worth it if done right.
Curt Q24 Hitch

JoeDakar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality