Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
Having read discussion on brands of tires & how to properly lift travel trailers, and numerous mentions of purchasing from Discount Tire...I'm wondering about experiences with having them R & R tires? It would seem that they probably can't have the trailer inside a service bay...so, do they normally just use floor jacks to lift in the parking lot? Is it something that they're all trained to do...properly...and, are there any stories out there to put one's mind at ease (or, at alert ) about purchasing and having new TT tires installed @ DT?
I recently experienced a blowout on I-77 just north of Columbia, SC.. I limped to the closest exit and had numerous commuters honking their horns and pointing to the trailer to inform me that there was a major blow-out with one of my beautiful new Castle Rock tires that came new from the manufacturer on my 2018 Rockwood 2604WS Ultra Lite. I had checked the tires before leaving Santee, SC two hours before.
We pulled off into an industrial park area with minimal traffic, and my wife and I got out to assess the damage. I knew I could easily change out with our spare, but We walked around the trailer and looked at all the tires. I pointed a couple of issues off to my wife, and explained what I had read on these forums about the tires, and was amazed that she really had listened and knew of the problems other people had.
I was not happy with replacing the blown out tire with another of the same type, and the other three may have been compromised which means they also may not last. As I was lamenting, my wife says “well, maybe this people over there can help us”. I followed her pointed finger and there was a Firestone Truck Tire Service station right across the street.
I went over and they were very helpful. We went over all the various tires that would be best suited for our needs . The tech assistance was absolutely fantastic with the specs for each type of tire and reviews by users up to within 4 hours. This information was invaluable. We made our decision, and got back on road within 2 and a half hours.
I think we were lucky! We have learned so much on this forum and what happened to us and how we handled it was because of what we have learned here. Guess what kind of tires we ended up with!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:17 PM   #22

Tires mounting

My tire guy knew there wasn’t room to leave camper at his shop. But he was also completely understanding of getting those 14 inChina bombs off. You can’t get a 14 in a ply that is strong enough for a camper weight. So we had to change out rims to get a 15 on there for a stronger ply tire. He came to my home and measured the 5 bolt pattern as Forest River management could not give clear or consistent spacing of the five bolts. Mike came out and measured. Then returned to shop to order one tire to make sure of a good fit. He tried it fit fine then he ordered 3 more. And aluminum rims because I live beachside and we didn’t want rust. He came out and installed all of the tires with one of his men in about ten minutes. Stay local with your tire guy! I cannot say enough good things about Mikes OK tire ,Tomahawk Drive ,Indian Harbour Beach, Fl.
Bridgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:25 AM   #23

Road Hazard Warranty

How many purchase the extra Road Hazard Warranty for their trailer tires.
What's the longest time the DT will honor the trailer tire for road hazard.
If'n you have a 5 year old tire that blows, do you think DT would replace under warranty.

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #24

Discount Tire

I recently purchased a set of Goodyear Endurance tires from the Discount Tire in Tallahassee Florida and they did an excellent job. Jacked it up by the frame, one side at a time, and even let me do my own sequence of torquing the lug nuts, but they have a policy of checking the torque before it leaves. A good thing for everyone.
I took the trailer out for a short highway drive on my way home to get some miles on it before checking the torque at home and they tow well. I got passed by a tandem tractor trailer and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of sway this created. I have a 2109 Mini Lite and that's always been an attention getter.
Thanks to all on this forum for their guidance on tire purchase, and the many other topics that I've benefited from over the last three years.
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #25

Discount Tire

Good Morning, I am not trying to hijack the thread but I have read a lot of good reports about DT, I have a 2109s. 2019 with 14 inch china bombs, I am unable to find a DT in my area, North Louisiana, what other tire shop would be ok to purchase the GY endurance tires, metal valve stems, etc.. Or is there a DT in the area.
This is the best site for info.

TIA
Every choice is an opportunity to say yes to God.
221fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #26

They did a great job for us. I was curious as to how they were going to do it. Here’s what they did lifting both axles at the same time. Took them less time than it took me to hitch up and tow the trailer there and back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A9605A8-F5AD-4D90-AE3E-31F5D1E342BF.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	221694  

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbilly View Post
They did a great job for us. I was curious as to how they were going to do it. Here’s what they did lifting both axles at the same time. Took them less time than it took me to hitch up and tow the trailer there and back.
On mine they used 4 floor jacks...one underneath each spring perch.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #28
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgo View Post
My tire guy knew there wasn’t room to leave camper at his shop. But he was also completely understanding of getting those 14 inChina bombs off. You can’t get a 14 in a ply that is strong enough for a camper weight. So we had to change out rims to get a 15 on there for a stronger ply tire. He came to my home and measured the 5 bolt pattern as Forest River management could not give clear or consistent spacing of the five bolts. Mike came out and measured. Then returned to shop to order one tire to make sure of a good fit. He tried it fit fine then he ordered 3 more. And aluminum rims because I live beachside and we didn’t want rust. He came out and installed all of the tires with one of his men in about ten minutes. Stay local with your tire guy! I cannot say enough good things about Mikes OK tire ,Tomahawk Drive ,Indian Harbour Beach, Fl.
I am not sure who told you that you cannot get a 14inch tire strong enough for a camper weight, but he is incorrect..... Some of the 14 inch D rated tires are as strong as some of the 15s.... I think your tire man wanted to sell you extra rims as well as tires...…. Check the specs Example 215/75 R14 Goodyear endurance has a load index of 108 with a max load of 2200lbs.... A Goodyear endurance 205/75/15 has a load index of 107 wit a max load of 2150 pounds ….Overal diameter is about 1/2 inch difference.....The general statement of you cannot get a 14 inch strong enough for a camper depends on the weigt of the camper...….
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 221fisher View Post
Good Morning, I am not trying to hijack the thread but I have read a lot of good reports about DT, I have a 2109s. 2019 with 14 inch china bombs, I am unable to find a DT in my area, North Louisiana, what other tire shop would be ok to purchase the GY endurance tires, metal valve stems, etc.. Or is there a DT in the area.

TIA
You're about 30 miles from our very own WMTire if my guess is correct.
I'd check with him if I were that close. If he can't do it I bet he can tell you who can.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 221fisher View Post

TIA
West Monroe Tire is a private shop owned/ran by one of our moderators (WMTire).

That's where I would start.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

I'd check with him if I were that close. If he can't do it I bet he can tell you who can.
And if we are lucky, he’ll include your visit in his Mondays at the Tire Shop thread. ;-)
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
And if we are lucky, he’ll include your visit in his Mondays at the Tire Shop thread. ;-)
I was just thinking that Could be a good or a bad thing......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Lol. Neil Walpole at Walpoles Tire in Ruston can handle this. He's straight down the road from Farmerville on Hwy 33. Good guy.

P.S. way back in my teenage years, used to work at a tire place that was beside the Hickory Pit restaurant in Farmerville. Took a girl to my high school prom from there too, and she used to work at the A&W restaurant...if that tells you how long ago. Lol

John Preus is my go to vehicle dealer too.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Lol. Neil Walpole at Walpoles Tire in Ruston can handle this. He's straight down the road from Farmerville on Hwy 33. Good guy.
We’re gonna miss out on a perfectly good story. *sigh*
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tire, tires, trailer