Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #21

On my Hyperlite I decided not to get them, but wish I had. The few windows that slide up are very hard to open, almost demanding a third hand, but the double pane operators / locks work far better. They might keep out a little of the noise and might stop some of the sweating, but I like them because they or at least some models operate better.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #22

Have had four campers, five 5th wheels and one Allegro Bus. Double pane windows in our Newmar 5th, Arctic Fox 5th, the Bus and now a new Cedar Creek. Would never be without them, especially in the Northwest. With dual panes, we never have to wipe windows every morning and no water stains down the walls. Only one window has ever fogged over due to a seal leak and that was in the Bus. The units without the dual panes were always wet during the cool rainy nights here in Oregon, especially when we had to use the furnace.
RVSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
Regardless of what others have said, I highly recommend them. They do not condense when camping in cold weather and are much quieter. I have had no trouble to date with seals or fogging. I would order them again without question.

Good luck
X2
We have them and it is a world of difference over our last rv. Don't spend any time wiping up condensation leaks any more. We do camp in a variety of temps though.
Curt A20 c/w GM Puck system
2021 56 night’s booked
Gm Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #24

Have any of you had dual pane windows for more than seven or eight years? I'm just wondering how long they will go before they fog up.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
Have any of you had dual pane windows for more than seven or eight years? I'm just wondering how long they will go before they fog up.

Great question! We plan on keeping this 5th wheel for many years. I'd hate to spend the money and several years later the start to fog.
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #26

Not sure about other brands. But when I was ordering my Wildcat Maxx the dealer actually persuaded me not to buy the double pane windows. They were somewhere around $1700. And he indicted they had not had good luck with them. They have about 15 dealerships throughout the NW. And they did say they added a substantial amount of weight.
willykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:19 AM   #27

We have them on our 5th wheel & I like them . No problems yet. Its quieter & no condensation.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
Regardless of what others have said, I highly recommend them. They do not condense when camping in cold weather and are much quieter. I have had no trouble to date with seals or fogging. I would order them again without question.

Good luck
Yes on the double pane windows. We have had our 5er four years with no issues with the double pane dark tinted windows. would purchase them again.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #29

This is our 3rd RV with dual pane windows and I do highly recommend them for anybody using their trailer more than occasionally. In our last trailer we had one window that didn't have the option and we ended up covering it with window film and Reflectix.
There may be different manufacturers offering different quality construction, I don't know, but we are very happy with our Hehr frameless windows. Btw., we haven't seen temperatures above freezing for the last 3 weeks and not the faintest sign of condensation anywhere and definitely no drafty feeling anywhere near a window.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #30

Our Class A pusher had dual panes and it was truly a PAIN. The seals on these windows tends to break down and causes foggy viewing. It's not a inexpensive item to correct and IMHO, not worth the cost to maintain and replace!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #31

So, like everything else with an RV, it is a trade-off and a bit of gambling at the same time. Maybe you'll get lucky and have no problems.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #32

Our one experience with double-pane windows

We ordered them when our 2016 Salem Hemisphere 356QB fifth wheel was still at the factory in in 2015. So far, they have not clouded up, but it has become apparent to us that the double pane windows are probably NOT worth the extra $1600 we paid unless the rest of the rig is built well insulated, which ours was not. Also, if you have aluminum frame windows as we do, the windows still shed a lot of water condensation on the inside walls of the rig, which are also shedding condensation especially in the slide outs, due to their thin insulation. This was made worse when, as a consequence of the thin insulation, we ran a supplemental vent-less propane heater which gives off quite a bit of water vapor. We have since ditched that, and resolved to stick with electric heaters until we can replace the rig.
If your rig has good insulation in the walls and you get the frameless type windows and control moisture effectively, it theoretically should turn out better.
ffchilehead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #33

Double pane windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Double pane windows do help a little in regards to noise and heat loss. They do nothing as far as heat gain from direct sunlight unless combined with Low E glass. They eventually cloud due to failure of the seal. Consider that RV's use the cheapest products available and initial/ replacement cost is high. The salesman that said not to get them is probably steering you in the right direction.
Let's see what would cause a Thermo-pane window to fail. Hum.......I KNOW! Shaking, movement, constant use, more shaking, rough road, our wonderful interstate system, is equivalent to mini earthquakes. I think I would look hard at the initial expense and replacement costs, before purchasing. Good salesman.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
Let's see what would cause a Thermo-pane window to fail. Hum.......I KNOW! Shaking, movement, constant use, more shaking, rough road, our wonderful interstate system, is equivalent to mini earthquakes. I think I would look hard at the initial expense and replacement costs, before purchasing. Good salesman.

We've decided to nix the double pane windows. Just from a weight factor we'll pass. Let alone replacement cost. Our salesman today shared much of the sentiments that everyone here has. In 20 years he only sold one set.

He's a straight up guy and we've bought 2 RV's from him and possibly this 5th if we decide it's right for us.

Thanks everyone
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #35

One thing to always keep in mind, RV/TT double pane windows are not thermo windows. They do not use Low E glass and they are not sealed with gas (typically Argon) between the panes. They are just simply two layer windows. As has been mentioned, they do help a little on sound deadening. Maybe a bigger deal for those that only park camp, not so much for those who disperse camp. There are alternative, and much cheaper, ways to go to get better cold weather / hot weather insulation at the windows.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window