Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Double Pane Windows - Yes or No

Looking at purchasing a new Chaparral 336 TSIK. We're not sure if we'll take the one off the lot or order one in with the "Double Pane Windows".

Are they worth the investment? When I retire we'll do some traveling. We welcome your thoughts.

Thanks.
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #2

Stick and Brick went to them Years ago,your choice! They "Might" reduce the condensation on RV windows and outside Noise? Youroo!!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

I looked into double panes, when ordering our Crusader. The cost is quite a bit more and, from what most people say about them, the seals don't last very long (before they get cloudy between the glass) and the additional insulation is minimal.

As we were going through the options for the order, I was surprised our salesman even said they are a waste of money.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
I looked into double panes, when ordering our Crusader. The cost is quite a bit more and, from what most people say about them, the seals don't last very long (before they get cloudy between the glass) and the additional insulation is minimal.

As we were going through the options for the order, I was surprised our salesman even said they are a waste of money.
Wow! That doesn't sound like much of a salesman. I would think they would be beneficial especially when Newmar has them as a standard feature on their Class A gas MH. Don't stop with just one opinion! There may be good glass and not so good glass . . .
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #5

Double pane windows do help a little in regards to noise and heat loss. They do nothing as far as heat gain from direct sunlight unless combined with Low E glass. They eventually cloud due to failure of the seal. Consider that RV's use the cheapest products available and initial/ replacement cost is high. The salesman that said not to get them is probably steering you in the right direction.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Interesting. I was leaning towards them but you make some valid points. Sounds like they may not be worth the extra money. Especially if the don't hold up in the long term. Long term is our plans with this 5th wheel.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsx2 View Post
Interesting. I was leaning towards them but you make some valid points. Sounds like they may not be worth the extra money. Especially if the don't hold up in the long term. Long term is our plans with this 5th wheel.

Thanks
Long term is a bit of a scary expectation . . .
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
The person that parks across from me at Traverse Bay RV Resort has them and they are clouding up. He told me not to waste my money. He feels there is just too much vibration going down the road to maintain seal integrity.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #9

We had them in or motorhome and elected no to order them for the5th wheel. They add a lot of weight to the trailer. Half of the fogged in our MH. And by pulling down the day/night shades we get enough dead air space insulation to keep the rig warm in the winter with the same amount of electric space heating
Old 11-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #10

Was he also trying to sell one off the lot. In stock?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Double pane windows do help a little in regards to noise and heat loss. They do nothing as far as heat gain from direct sunlight unless combined with Low E glass. They eventually cloud due to failure of the seal. Consider that RV's use the cheapest products available and initial/ replacement cost is high. The salesman that said not to get them is probably steering you in the right direction.
Take it from one who lives in an area where we know all about double pane windows. They do provide some R value over single pane, but their real value, especially in an RV, is in the prevention of condensation on the inner window surface. The key of course, is in the above quote- will they last with regard to appearance and continued performance? I'd check into the warranty very carefully.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Was he also trying to sell one off the lot. In stock?
No, I was ordering it anyway.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #13

Yes, Yes, and Yes. I have had both, my last three RV's all had double pane windows and now I have single. The noise difference is significant, plus now I can feel the wind blowing inside which we never did with the double pane windows. This is something you cannot add later so do it now.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #14

What about those 3M window kits they used to sell at the big boxes for winterizing your home windows?
Old 11-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #15

Wasted $ False evonomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
The person that parks across from me at Traverse Bay RV Resort has them and they are clouding up. He told me not to waste my money. He feels there is just too much vibration going down the road to maintain seal integrity.
He is correct. MH flexes too much
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #16

Regardless of what others have said, I highly recommend them. They do not condense when camping in cold weather and are much quieter. I have had no trouble to date with seals or fogging. I would order them again without question.

Good luck
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #17

Since 1997, I have had 3 travel trailers and a motor home. Current travel trailer is going on 3 years. All had tinted double pane windows. I had no problems with the cloudy up as some has stated. Maybe I have been lucky. But I would not have an RV without them unless cost is a factor. I think they do provide some R value and cut down the noise and sun coming into the TT. Whether they pay for themselves, I don't know.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
We had them in or motorhome and elected no to order them for the5th wheel. They add a lot of weight to the trailer. Half of the fogged in our MH. And by pulling down the day/night shades we get enough dead air space insulation to keep the rig warm in the winter with the same amount of electric space heating

That's a great point with the Day/Night Shades. Never gave the weight factor a thought. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
What about those 3M window kits they used to sell at the big boxes for winterizing your home windows?

These work, a bit hard to get them installed with all the fancy window trims on the inside but they do work, add very little weight and compared to the factory double pane are almost free! we keep our screendoor covered with this material all the time. Lets us see out and keeps the cold or heat where it belongs.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #20

We had double pane in our motorhome. Two of them eventually got fogged and needed replacement. When we found out how much the replacements were...decided we would not get them in our next rig. We do use interior shields to help keep heat in/sun out depending on season, but those are easy to deal with!
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window