Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #1

Electric Tongue Jack?

I'm thinking about getting an electric jack, but am unaware of possible pitfalls. Do any of you have any experience with them? I guess I need to look at my tongue weight and compare specs. This one seemed to be the middle of the pack in features and weight capability. Will one battery support the power needed?

Thanks for any replies!

Description

Take the effort out of lifting your trailer with this electric jack from Stromberg Carlson.
The sleek black jack features an LED light for nighttime use, as well as water-resistant switches and a vacuum-formed cover for protection from the elements.

Features:
  • Powered jack eliminates the need for hand cranking, making jacking up your trailer a sweat-free job
  • Water-resistant switches provide easy operation
  • LED illuminates the area for simple nighttime setup<LI $J_UUID="74">Built-in device lets you easily see if your trailer is level
  • Attached clutch protects gears and motors
  • Break-through handle allows you to manually operate jack if needed
  • Easily bolts onto your trailer's A-frame - hardware included
  • Rust-resistant, powder coated steel parts are strong and durable
  • Jack cover is made of vacuum-formed plastic for extra protection from severe weather
  • Zinc-plated steel footplate included
Technical Specs

Tech Specs
Weight: 20 lbs.

Dimensions: Outer tube diameter: 2"
Inner tube diameter: 1-3/4"
Footplate diameter: 4-1/2"
Warranty: 1-Year warranty
Manufacturer: Stromberg Carlson Products Inc
Mfg Part #: JET-2500

Tech Notes: Power wire: 12 gauge
Motor draws: 24-25 amps under load
Bracket height:Retracted (with foot on the jack): 9" below the mounting plate; Extended: 26"
Lift: 18"
Lift capacity: 2,500 lbs
PJRNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

The only "pitfal" is if you run out of battery power and don't have your truck nearby. Since we don't dry camp, I am not sure how long a battery would last and have enough juice for the down-up-down to hook up and then raise enough to install the WDH bars. But since your truck would be present for this, hooking it up and using the power from the truck is no issue.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRNM View Post
I'm thinking about getting an electric jack, but am unaware of possible pitfalls. Do any of you have any experience with them? I guess I need to look at my tongue weight and compare specs. This one seemed to be the middle of the pack in features and weight capability. Will one battery support the power needed?

Thanks for any replies!
If you're going to Goshen, I have one that I will sell for $50 if you want it. Took it off an 08Flagstaff831RLSS.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #4

no down fall. the one i have has a handle you can attach if it jams or runs out of power
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

I agree with Prothos!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

The electric tongue jack was a HAVE TO when we bought our trailer 2 1/2 years ago.
I also help our dealer haul trailers back and forth to RV Shows in our area and I always try yo back up to one with an electric jack. Not lazy.....rather give a finger a workout rather than a whole arm, wrist, hand , etc. HAHA.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
no down fall. the one i have has a handle you can attach if it jams or runs out of power
X3, I use the Barker 3500, the unit also comes with a manual crank handle and light. It really makes installing and removing the spring bars a breeze. I had the mother in law sew up a simple vinyl cover which keeps it dry and out of the sun.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Team

In case of having no power the manual hand crank isn't a big deal to do. You can find lots of feedback on electric tongue jacks here on the forum to read with the search option.

Like most anything else not all electric tongue jacks are created equal. I had major problems with my first jack before the dealer upgraded it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #9

I just installed a husky4500r on my TH. it comes with a manual crank in case there are any problems that occur while out camping. It also had led lights for better night vision, and has remote controls which come in handy while I'm leveling the trailer. It also comes with a 15amp inline breaker and not a fuse which I do like, but did not come with a 12v shut off switch which I bought at a local auto store and installed myself. On this unit the remote controls will draw power even while in storage so instead of having to disconnect the jack from my batteries I just hit my shut off switch. Shipped to my door I paid $251.00 and worth every penny.
Cacooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #10

Thanks for the information!! I guess there is no down side. Sorry, not headed to Goshen. The battery switch is a great heads up, would have been upset to learn about the drain the hard way!!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRNM View Post
Thanks for the information!! I guess there is no down side. Sorry, not headed to Goshen. The battery switch is a great heads up, would have been upset to learn about the drain the hard way!!
No problem, but just to clarify... The husky 4500r draws mA to run the remote control switches at all times unless you either disconnect the power source or install a 12v **** off switch. Other brands may or may not have the same issue, as most if not all other brands do not have the remote control switches. So you may not need to worry about it at all. Btw, my trailer tongue weight exceeds 1350 lbs so I had to go with the highest capacity tongue jack. Over kill on electric tongue jacks will never ever hurt, but if you go with only what a specific jack can handle just think about the reliability and life of that jack as well. Remember you get what you pay for..
Cacooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #12

I love mine, should have never left the dealership without one. Makes hooking up and disconnecting a dream.

2013 Chevy 2500, 6.6 Duramax
2013 Lacrosse 318
Gulfrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #13

I have the lci jack and probably would go Barker if I had the choice to do it again. It works but has developed a lot of weird noises and the UV light from the sun really hurt the case prior to hanging a bucket over it for water sunlight protection.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #14

I had the same Stromberg-Carlson (it's made by Lippert) jack that you are asking about. It DOES have a manual override and a crank that comes with it. However, the motor on mine went bad after a few months, and Lippert was terrible to deal with.

I ended up replacing it with a Barker, same model as the one someone else sent a photo of. Motor issues aside, I like the Barker better. Runs quieter, has the manual override and light, as well as a 360-degree level on top. After about four years the switch went out on it, but the dealer replaced it for free and it is still kicking.

Regardless of the brand you choose, the power jack can make a world of difference if you use a weight distribution hitch. I have been in unlevel spots where I've had to jack my truck up with the rear almost off the ground in order to hook up the WDH, and hand-cranking would have been a real chore. For me, the power jack is a must-have.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #15

Camping World sells a soft cover with a drawstring for the power jacks to protect them from the weather. The vinyl is pliable enough that I can operate the switch without removing the cover, and that's what I usually do. I suspect such laziness will eventually punch a hole in the cover, but they are relatively inexpensive. Mine has lasted several years so far.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
daydreaming about camping

Although mine is stored inside, I have noticed already the ABS plastic cover from the few weeks it has been outside is showing some fade on a unit that is only 10 months old. I expect at some point a few years down the road I will simply pull the plastic cover off and shoot it with Krylon. maybe an hour worth of work and 3.96 for the spray can. I might get creative and paint it match something.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #17

With a WDH like the equal-i-zer it's a no-brainer to have a PTJ. In fact I'd not be without one. (Sold me Barker to a friend after upgrading to the 5'r). They should be standard equipment if you ask me. I used a cover from an outboard motor to keep the elements off of it.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #18

I keep hearing good things about Husky and Barker. The reviews on Amazon are good as well. I'm looking in that direction now.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their point of view!