Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #1

Fe 204 rd

Anyone seen or own this model?

I just found it on line today. I like the looks of it.

Any thoughts from any of you?
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #2

I'll guess "F e" is Freedom Express. I haven't been in one, but they look similar to the Coachmen Apex. The Apex has a pretty good following on here. I've been in several Apex trailers and they seem nice for the price range.

Get out to a dealer or an RV show and "kick the tires". On line only goes so far.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #3

I plan to go look at one directly. That model just came in a couple of days ago to a dealer that's 2 hours away. There is one dealer closer, but they don't have any. I did email them to find out if they plan on getting one.

As for Apex, I looked at the floor plans for 2017, and I couldn't find anything similar to the 204 RD, which is brand new floor plan with the Freedom Express line in 2017.

The 204 RD is a non slide model that's the same length as my current Koala trailer is, only I like the floor plan much better. Construction wise, I still really like the Koala. However, I want a different floor plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizJedi View Post
I'll guess "F e" is Freedom Express. I haven't been in one, but they look similar to the Coachmen Apex. The Apex has a pretty good following on here. I've been in several Apex trailers and they seem nice for the price range.

Get out to a dealer or an RV show and "kick the tires". On line only goes so far.

j
Old 01-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
As for Apex, I looked at the floor plans for 2017, and I couldn't find anything similar to the 204 RD, which is brand new floor plan with the Freedom Express line in 2017.
You're right. I was looking at the Freedom Express Liberty Edition. Those floor plans mimic the Apex a little closer.

Here is one Apex that is similar to the 204RD you are looking at. This one is the same length and weight, but gives a little more room with a small slide. Hitch weight is actually less than the 204RD.

Apex 213 RDS

Not trying to talk you in or out of anything. I just like comparing the different layouts and models.

j

Old 01-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

I appreciate your comments. Always good to see other floor plans that I may have missed.

I'm way out of step with most folks, but I really would like one with no slide, if possible.

The one you referenced below has a couple of drawbacks for me also. It doesn't have either a pantry nor a wardrobe, except the two by the bed.

The 204 RD has plenty of storage space for pantry items, and there is a large coat closet (named pantry in the floor plan) where the entrance door is.

Quote:
You're right. I was looking at the Freedom Express Liberty Edition. Those floor plans mimic the Apex a little closer.

Here is one Apex that is similar to the 204RD you are looking at. This one is the same length and weight, but gives a little more room with a small slide. Hitch weight is actually less than the 204RD.

Apex 213 RDS

Not trying to talk you in or out of anything. I just like comparing the different layouts and models.

j
Old 01-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm way out of step with most folks, but I really would like one with no slide, if possible.

The one you referenced below has a couple of drawbacks for me also. It doesn't have either a pantry nor a wardrobe, except the two by the bed
I get the storage thing. I did notice it didn't seem to have as many places for things. That's what actually doing a walking through can do. You can see the real storage and get an idea where you would but things. My 5er is huge (415 sq ft), but I decided against a residential refrigerator because I would have lost a pantry. I usually keep dry and canned goods in the trailer all camping season. Not having enough kitchen storage is a pain.

And you may not be as out of touch as you think. 2 good friends recently bought small, without slides. One has an A-liner and the other bought a T@b. They are cute. I told them they should throw them in the back of my truck and I'll take it all camping with me.

j

Old 01-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #7

Drove down to an RV dealer down in the VA Tidewater area today, a 2 hour drive.

Wanted to see the 204 RD up close and in person. I really liked the floor plan a lot. with the dinette plus extended bench seat, right in front of where the entrance door is, makes it seem larger than it is, at least to me.

The two biggest flaws, to me anyway, are the very small shower, and the lack of a privacy curtain to shut off the bedroom from the rest of the trailer.

The second can be remedied, by installing a curtain tract to the ceiling and hanging a curtain.

The too small shower could be insurmountable though. Height wise, it was fine. However I couldn't turn completely around without hitting the faucet with my body. That's not a good thing.

I'll have to study that problem a while.

But I really liked the large roadside and rear windows at the dinette table. I'm beginning to like them much, much better than a large rear bathroom.

I'll have to continue looking.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Drove down to an RV dealer down in the VA Tidewater area today, a 2 hour drive.

The two biggest flaws, to me anyway, are the very small shower, and the lack of a privacy curtain to shut off the bedroom from the rest of the trailer.
Glad you got to see one.

I know how the shower thing can be a pain. My first hybrid had a wet bath shower. Not a lot of room and then everything gets wet. I'm not big. 5'7" and about 175, so I fit ok. I wouldn't have wanted to see anyone bigger try though.

The little Starcraft was nice, but it only lasted a year. Canvas bunks in 40 degrees was not fun, so we traded to a full hard side TT.

j

Old 01-31-2017, 04:57 AM   #9

I'm not sure what the designers of RV's are thinking sometimes. The Design problem with the FE 204 RD shows up in many other floor plans all across the RV industry.

It's like none of them actually try to use their finished design. Doesn't anyone, especially the designers, actually try to use it. Hopefully, an RV doesn't go straight from designers table to full fledged production, without having a prototype built. But then again this is the RV industry, so it could happen.

With the 204 RD, it seems like the designers just threw in the smallest shower pan simply because any TT must have a shower in it. They ran out of room so they made due with the smallest shower pan in the business.

Adding a foot or two to the length TT would have still worked since it so short now.

But alas, it's not to be. The shower size is a fatal flaw.

For me, the 204 RD would have be perfect, even if it were a foot or two longer, to accommodate a decent sized shower.

Quote:
Glad you got to see one.

I know how the shower thing can be a pain. My first hybrid had a wet bath shower. Not a lot of room and then everything gets wet. I'm not big. 5'7" and about 175, so I fit ok. I wouldn't have wanted to see anyone bigger try though.

The little Starcraft was nice, but it only lasted a year. Canvas bunks in 40 degrees was not fun, so we traded to a full hard side TT.

j
Old 02-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #10

I do like the floor plan, it's like the big brother to my floor plan. Mine has the same size shower and it is tight, I'm 5'8 and 200 lbs and usually bump the wall/faucet/curtain a couple of times while showering. I miss the tub/shower combo in my old trailer, it had a little more room and contained water better.

The small shower is a small price to pay for the big window and queen bed I have now. My last was a Clipper 16B with a 27" bunk bed that I slept on.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado
gwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #11

Each of us has a thing or things that will kill a deal. In my case, it's the shower. I do not like to shower in campground showers. I do it from time to time, but I really dislike doing it. That's why I have a shower in my RV.

With a shower I could turn around in, the 204 RD would have zoomed to the top of my list for a new trailer. Alas, it's now at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwolfe View Post
I do like the floor plan, it's like the big brother to my floor plan. Mine has the same size shower and it is tight, I'm 5'8 and 200 lbs and usually bump the wall/faucet/curtain a couple of times while showering. I miss the tub/shower combo in my old trailer, it had a little more room and contained water better.

The small shower is a small price to pay for the big window and queen bed I have now. My last was a Clipper 16B with a 27" bunk bed that I slept on.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #12

New to Coachman and the Freedom Express lineup. We were at the Toronto RV show yesterday and came away with a Freedom Express 204RD. Loved the layout. The shower issues are not a problem for us as we use provincial parks for the most part and they have great showers. We have upgraded from a Jayco X17Z hybrid. Looking forward to the upgraded RV. I'll let you know what I think about the shower!
NickHeaps819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #13

Have you had a chance to do any camping? Have you used the shower, at all? How does it work for you? Any comments on how the rest of the trailer worked for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhsharonnick View Post
New to Coachman and the Freedom Express lineup. We were at the Toronto RV show yesterday and came away with a Freedom Express 204RD. Loved the layout. The shower issues are not a problem for us as we use provincial parks for the most part and they have great showers. We have upgraded from a Jayco X17Z hybrid. Looking forward to the upgraded RV. I'll let you know what I think about the shower!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Have you had a chance to do any camping? Have you used the shower, at all? How does it work for you? Any comments on how the rest of the trailer worked for you?
Still awaiting delivery. We take possession at the end of April.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #15

Picked up the unit last week. HAven't tried out the shower yet but I have stood in it. It's a little tight, I am 210lbs, but it is usable. After all it's not supposed to be a spa! LOL it will do the job if needed easily.

Looking forward to the first trip away for the May 24 weekend!
Old 05-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #16

I have the same shower in my 17RD and it isn't too bad, like you say it is a little tight but it works.

Oh and we need pics!

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado
gwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #17

How tight is the passage way fore and aft between the head and the galley? If someone was cooking or doing the dishes, would they have to completely move in order for someone else to move from the rear to the bed room?
Old 05-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #18

Yes they would.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #19

Is there any kind of towel bar in the bathroom? Is there an 120VAC receptacle over at the dinette?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #20

There are 2 receptacles over dinette area under the upper cupboards. The towel rack/ring is something that came with the trailer but was not installed so you can install it where you want. I put the towel ring to the left of the door between the tank monitor panel and the door. The TP holder went under the counter above the lower cupboard door.