Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2022, 10:00 AM   #1

First Trip with 292

We brought TT out for maiden voyage and as luck would have it….rain! We adapted well but found one annoying issue. The gutter leaks under the awning right above side grill and table. I would guess it’s a simple fix, get up there with some caulk, fill the small hole and ensure I don’t ‘dam up’ the gutter. Thoughts?

Also, the last screw in the table /grill mount is broken off and the metal mount is loose. Thinking, get the rest if the screw out, replace and recaulk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0B58A929-9A3B-456F-80AB-5C17A379BE0D.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	275717   Click image for larger version

Name:	2393A6FD-F1F3-4B2B-86A3-ABD1966B0145.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	275718  
T.Heflin175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:29 AM   #2

Some caulk should take care of that leak. You want to caulk the top of the track not the bottom where you see the black streak. You should also check and make sure your roof gutters are clear of any debris because if they’re blocked they will back up on you and cause more water to run on your awning. As far the the track for the grill looks like someone got a little too aggressive screwing it in and the screw is just floating around in the hole. See if you can find the next size screw up in terms of thickness and make sure to put some caulk in hole and on the threads of the screw so it seals it and prevents and water from getting in. Use stainless screws so they don’t rust out.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:58 AM   #3

Good call on SS screws, they are just regular old black metal. Might as well take the entire track off and replace them all with SS and do it right….the SECOND time.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:24 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sealant will fix that gutter leak.
DO NOT USE SILICONE!
There are sealants designed specifically for R/V and Silicone is not one of them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:00 PM   #5

Same issue on our new 257BHS. Gutter pieces weren't even close to being close together and water would pour through. Dealer put some caulk to close the gap but ended up blocking the water flow. Didn't even fully stop the leak, either.

I cut several small strips of flex tape and layered them in the gutter. Time will tell if that holds up, but it didn't leak the next day when it rained!
Old 06-30-2022, 08:51 PM   #6

Neither caulk nor sealant...

Neither caulk nor sealant nor silicone will make a long-lasting fix. I have the experience to prove it.

The gutters are aluminum which has a relatively high coefficient of thermal expansion. RV gutters come in 20 foot lengths. In all but the shortest RVs, there is always at least one gap. In the summer, when the aluminum has expanded, the caulk is squeezed out of the joint. In the winter, when it contracts, the bond is broken and the repair leaks.

The ONLY RELIABLE REPAIR I have found is to cut a tiny strip of Eternabond, just wide enough to cover both sides and the bottom and maybe 1-1/2 to 2" long, and apply it to the inside of the gutter.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Sealant will fix that gutter leak.
DO NOT USE SILICONE!
There are sealants designed specifically for R/V and Silicone is not one of them.
Yep great advise right there.... Nothing will stick to silicone and if it fails and you have to reseal, you have to remove it all... In contrast thinks like lap sealant can be wiped down and coated over.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Neither caulk nor sealant nor silicone will make a long-lasting fix. I have the experience to prove it.

The gutters are aluminum which has a relatively high coefficient of thermal expansion. RV gutters come in 20 foot lengths. In all but the shortest RVs, there is always at least one gap. In the summer, when the aluminum has expanded, the caulk is squeezed out of the joint. In the winter, when it contracts, the bond is broken and the repair leaks.

The ONLY RELIABLE REPAIR I have found is to cut a tiny strip of Eternabond, just wide enough to cover both sides and the bottom and maybe 1-1/2 to 2" long, and apply it to the inside of the gutter.

Yes, to this! We had the same experience. Caulk won't last. Eternabond is the answer. We did the entire top side.
kszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #9

Thanks for the help / advice, hopefully this wasn’t yet another leaky gutter thread. I got up there y’day and whatever product they used, was a big glob and blocking up the gutter. Cleaned it up a bit, it helped but didn’t fix it.

Thanks again
Old 07-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #10

If you need good caulk use marine caulk, 3M 5200 or 4200. Careful what you wish for, using 5200 makes a permanent bond on anything. Boats and RV's should never have silicone on them..
Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:24 AM   #11

Without starting a new ladder thread, I have another question. Our 292LE didn’t come with factory installed ladder, but it is still shown as being included in the Freedom Package which also includes the grill, 12v fridge and a few other things. Since it didn’t come installed, would this even be worth contacting the dealer about it? I’ve read different posts about availability, FR no longer doing ladders, etc…. All that being said, other 22 Freedom Express listings show ladders in the pics.

I’m ok with step ladder or collapsible ladder usage, just looking to see the opinion of other folks.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Heflin175 View Post
Without starting a new ladder thread, I have another question. Our 292LE didn’t come with factory installed ladder, but it is still shown as being included in the Freedom Package which also includes the grill, 12v fridge and a few other things. Since it didn’t come installed, would this even be worth contacting the dealer about it? I’ve read different posts about availability, FR no longer doing ladders, etc…. All that being said, other 22 Freedom Express listings show ladders in the pics.

I’m ok with step ladder or collapsible ladder usage, just looking to see the opinion of other folks.
Couldn't hurt to ask the dealer why it didn't come with a ladder. Those brochures are 'subject to change.'
If you're ok with a separate ladder, that might be a good alternative. With a separate ladder, you know the weight capacity and know it's on firm ground.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Heflin175 View Post

Ours did not have the ladder either even though Freedom Package usually has them. We knew that when we bought it. Dealer said that forest river left many of them off due to supply issue on the ladders. They were going to check to see if the walls were still built to support a ladder and could add one. (The word is still out on that). Have not heard yet, but I have a nice light ladder I keep in the truck that I am happy with that I can use to reach the stove vent fan cover (I am short) as well as to look on top the slide or get on roof. Might not bother with attached ladder.

Tags
first trip