Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #21

I didnt realize the power tongue jack or the exterior grill were options.

The power tongue jack is definitely worth it. I have the trunnion style wdh and i couldnt imagine life without the power jack.

I agree with the built in grill. Ive never used mine. No sense putting something liks that inside the trailer to attract critters. Im still trying to think of something else to use the space for.

Yes, the sink on the 2019 is single and huge. Our old trailer had a very small sink and was a real pain.

The things i like about the 2020 is the glass shower door (i have a curtain and have to be careful about water getting out) and the linen closet in the bathroom that i dont have.

My next "mod" is installing a Jack-it bike rack.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #22

I agree on the glass shower door. That's a very welcome 2020 upgrade to the 2019 design.

But I'm not sure about the bathroom linen closet. Obviously I'll like the extra storage space, but I'm wondering: where am I going to hang up towels to dry? The 2019 model has clothes hangers along that wall that you can use. I plan to add a clothes hanger to the back of the bathroom door, but that will be to hang up fresh clothes while we're taking showers.

Where do other folks hang wet towels to dry in small TTs?

The other thing I'm not sure I care for is the decision to remove a solid front nose cap over the bed and replace it with a big picture window. While I love looking outside of course, my wife likes it dark in the morning until she's ready to get up, and that big honking thing will be staring down on her face every morning. At best I'll have to find some (insulated) flexible panel that I can slide down there behind the (sad excuse for a) privacy shade. At worst she'll have to wear one of those sleep masks at night.

These are all minor quibbles, however, and ones I'm sure I'll address and solve. Despite the few things I would change, we're excited to get this unit and to begin camping in it!

Ray
Old 03-04-2020, 05:23 AM   #23

2014 192RBS hacks

Not sure if I did this right, but if you can open this link, you'll see what this TT owner did to his 2014 freedom express. I saved it because I'm planning on doing some of this to my 2020 once the weather breaks. If anyone has more to add, that'd be great.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Jodi1ISVItaGFR
Snickers.1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:04 AM   #24

That is such an awesome list. Thanks for posting!

Ray
Old 03-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #25

Some details of my rear shelf:

Bottom detail with leveling jacks re-installed. New steel plate is mounted between the factory plate and the jacks with bolts, not welded. That way it can be removed if a frame warranty problem arises.

Detail showing 2" to 1-1/4" adapter welded to plate that is bolted to the factory support plate for the jacks. 1-1/4" end of adapter takes a standard ball mount, so the shelf can be removed easily.

Note that gas cans are removed before water heater or refer are turned on to avoid any fumes getting into the vents.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Snickers.1957, we’ve used our 192RBS for two seasons now, and still love it. It has a ton of room and storage for two people, it’s nice and tall inside, and given its small size, is easy to pull anywhere.

I made a couple of modifications to mine. I removed the spare from under the frame and put it in the front storage bin. I watched the rv place trying to put the spare back up after installing the wdh and decided I didnt want to try to drop the spare on the side of the road.

I added shelving to all closets. They are ridiculously tall without taking advantage of additional shelves. I added a bed lift so I can easily get to the storage area under the bed. I ditched the inside table (bulky and heavy) for a folding table from Walmart. It is actually bigger, lighter and smaller when folded up. I also eternabond taped all the roof seams.

Good luck with your camper, hopefully you‘ll have the same luck we have.

What bed lift did you use?

Thanks!
Twisterbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisterbret View Post
What bed lift did you use?

Thanks!
I bought a HatchLift. No matter which one you buy, you need to pay attention to the size opening you have (full bed or partial) and the mattress size, and get the right size lift.

HatchLift warns against getting one oversized, and not to compensate for mattress pads, etc. We have a 3” mattress pad, and bought the lift for our opening and mattress (did not get a larger lift due to the pad). Every once in a while, when we get to our destination, the bed is lifted. Any larger lift, it would lift all by itself!

Installation was a breeze. I did, however, put extra vertical support where the pistons mounted to the bed frame. The supports are on the inside, and therefore not seen.

So, is that New Egypt NJ? We pass through there on the way to LBI.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I bought a HatchLift. No matter which one you buy, you need to pay attention to the size opening you have (full bed or partial) and the mattress size, and get the right size lift.

HatchLift warns against getting one oversized, and not to compensate for mattress pads, etc. We have a 3” mattress pad, and bought the lift for our opening and mattress (did not get a larger lift due to the pad). Every once in a while, when we get to our destination, the bed is lifted. Any larger lift, it would lift all by itself!

Installation was a breeze. I did, however, put extra vertical support where the pistons mounted to the bed frame. The supports are on the inside, and therefore not seen.

So, is that New Egypt NJ? We pass through there on the way to LBI.
Thanks! That is New Egypt NJ ..right near the Wawa ..Small world
Twisterbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #29

Awesome work, Bluepill.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:01 AM   #30

We have been full timing in a 2019 192RBS for almost 2 years in Texas. We have a 15k btu and I would say the 13btu would be sufficient. I would definitely recommend a fan to circulate more air.
EmSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #31

I'm late to the game of replying, and I can't add anything about the air conditioning unit. I'll just say that hubby and I have a 2017 model - going into our 4th summer with it. We absolutely love this unit. We are in Ontario, and have camped in very hot/humid conditions, and the AC has always worked really well. One modification hubby added last year was a MAXXAir Fan. He installed the unit above the bed and it has made such a difference. It does a wonderful job in cooling down the unit without having to turn on the AC. It provides great air circulation and when I'm running the oven, making the trailer really warm, it cools it down beautifully. We have a thermometer that shows both indoor and outdoor temperatures, and the MAXXAir Fan has actually cooled the unit down so that the temperature is the same indoors as outdoors.
Anyway...enjoy your trailer and happy camping!
nadjam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers.1957 View Post
Not sure if I did this right, but if you can open this link, you'll see what this TT owner did to his 2014 freedom express. I saved it because I'm planning on doing some of this to my 2020 once the weather breaks. If anyone has more to add, that'd be great.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Jodi1ISVItaGFR
I found this thread a few years ago, and hubby and I have made several of the same modifications. He did a fantastic job of documenting them. Our favourite...the little cubby just inside the entry door at floor level. That very quickly became our shoe cubby!
nadjam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #33

Thanks one more time for all of the feedback folks gave me on this thread.

We've now received our 192RBS, and I thought I owed it to you all to share what we found. So far, the 13.5K BTU air conditioner has been more than adequate. We've taken it out on two trips so far: in Maryland and in Delaware. And while we're not in the scorching part of summer yet, we did see temperatures as high as 85 degrees. The unit was more than sufficient, indeed it almost froze us out sometimes. It also did a great job of dehumidification. We got a collapsible towel rack to hang our wet towels and bath clothes on inside the cabin, blew a small fan across them, and by the next day they were completely dry, with no condensation inside the camper.

Obviously things can get much hotter, and more humid, but based on the size of the interior and the performance of the unit to date, I'd be shocked if it can't handle that environment as well. If it can't keep up, then I'll come back and report accordingly. But so far so good.

Thanks again!

Ray
Old 06-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #34

Ray,

I'm lad you got your rig and have been able to use it! Our first trip was cancelled this year due to covid. We dont have any planned right now but are exploring where we can go where things are a little more open.

I did pull my stabilizer jacks off, scraped, wire brushed and repainted them. I think they were dipped in the ocean on the way over from China they were so rusty. Everything else under the trailer is fine, so it was definitely the jacks.

Based on another post, I've been creating a shoe cubby at the bottom of the closet just to the left of the entry door. Would have been easy, but my wife chimed in with additional ideas. No issue, it is sitting right now anyway.

For wet towels, bathing suits, etc., we usually set up a portable towel rack outside the camper.

Happy camping!
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #35

I have the Stromberg Carlson CL-36 ladder-mounted clothes dryer on order, ref:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rack.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	231767
If nothing else that will reduce the floor space chewed up by our internal collapsible towel rack. It will also reduce the dehumidification load on the AC.

However typically my wife and I depart for excursions in the morning, often not returning to our campsite (previously a tent, now our RV) until late evening. I'm a bit concerned that dew will re-wet the towels if we hang them outside.

We'll give it a try, but between making a small internal space even smaller, and being at the mercy of weather and timing, that we may not have a good systemic solution yet.

Ray
Old 06-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #36

Since I live in Texas would think it is a near necessity for the 15K air conditioning.

Great link on the photos of Mods.
horn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #37

We hope to travel to Tampa, FL later in the summer, and I'll let you know. But as I said before, I didn't want the AC to short-cycle in the small confined space and not have time to provide adequate dehumidification.

I'll report back then!

Ray
Old 08-02-2020, 12:54 AM   #38

I wanted to update this thread for future reference, in case other prospective buyers have similar questions.

While we haven't made our Tampa visit just yet, we did camp out this last week in 95 +/- degree temperatures closer to home. The 13.5K BTU AC kept up just fine, with plenty of headroom left in it. Neither the thermostat nor the fan had to be set at the max.

So now, with first hand experience, I'm convinced the smaller AC was the right decision for this size RV. The compressor does runs longer, to be sure, but that's a good thing as it performs a valuable dehumidification service inside every minute that it's running.

Sometimes bigger is not always better, and for very specific reasons.

Ray
Old 08-02-2020, 06:45 AM   #39

Ray,
Glad to hear you’ve made the right decision! Since the larger unit wasn’t an option when we bought (at least I don’t think it was), I never gave it much thought.

We took a trip to Gettysburg PA recently, and it was HOT! Our AC kept up with no problem. The shaded site certainly helped with this.

We had a lot of potential trips planned this year, but with COVID and all the quarantined states, we’ve had to keep trips close to home.

Glad you’re enjoying your camper!
Old 08-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #40

Where did you camp at Gettysburg? We were there about a month ago. It's near where we live as well (just outside of Annapolis).

We stayed at Artillery Ridge Campground. You can't beat it for proximity to the city, battlefield, and visitors' center. They also have stables for lots of horses, so being around them was kind of cool, especially given where we were. However the sites in the area we stayed were very narrow, plus the campground had clearly recently dumped gravel in the middle of our site without leveling it. It was like camping on the top of an inverted V - almost impossible to put down some of the stabilization jacks, plus we used every spare level-block we had just to build up high enough to reach the bottom of our stairs. We'd consider staying there again ... but we'd pick a different area of the campground if so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARC.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	235434

Ray

Tags
192rbs, air conditioner, air conditioning, freedom, freedom express