Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #1

Freedom Express 25SE thoughts?

Buying a 2017 Freedom Express 25SE. Final paperwork hasn't been signed, so I'm open to comments. We're downsizing from a Super C motorhome so it's quite a change

It seems to be a good compromise in quality and price point and the dealer is happy to be clearing an "older" unit. We're adding slide topper, tongue jack, ladder, and going with Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. It's been ten years since we've towed, but did so for years using Reese dual cam sway.

I've done a lot of research but cant find anything referencing insulation values.

This has a 13.5 a/c unit and it sure seemed to be working hard the other day on the lot. I'm wondering if I shouldnt upgrade it to the 15,000

I forgot to notice if it has a powered vent in the bathroom so I need to call and ask...surely it does.

We try to think of everything, but of course it's the little things we take for granted and forget.

Any suggestions before we make the final decision are certainly appreciated.

Greg
Ggimlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #2

I have the 2015 Freedom Express 310BHDS. I can't tell the area you live in (please add that to your profile, it helps with answers) but I am way down here in hot and humid SW GA. My unit has one 15K Dometic A/C and has been hard to cool since day one. I recently added a second 15K unit and in running the new wiring for it I had to cut a hole into the exterior sidewall of the TT. The plug I removed from the hole saw showed me that there is only 1" of styrofoam insulation in the exterior sidewall, not much insulation IMO. So, should you upgrade to the 15K unit? I think that depends on what part of the country you are in and where you will be camping. IF the dealer makes you a really good deal on the upgrade I would certainly take advantage of that.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the info....I thought my location would have shown, but I'm in NC so yes...hot and steamy. We also go west a lot and spend time in Denver, NM, AZ, Gulf coast, etc. Hot is something we battle.

I'm afraid fighting the heat with units we're looking at is going to be a constant issue. We're used to motorhomes, 50a service and two big units to cool things. Downsizing brings a lot of challenges and adjustments.

It is aggravating that none of the manufacturers give indications of R values for their travel trailers unless you're spending $50K for one of the high end units.

Thanks for your response.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Site Team

I have a FE express as well. The insulation is OK remembering it is a camper not a home. I would go with the 15K upgrade as it will be less expensive to do it now rather that later. Have dealer cover installation as part of deal. Ours came with a "powered vent" in the bathroom, but that is a stretch as it is a small fan added to the vent and not a fantastic type fan. There is a simple upgrade that works pretty well. The key is to make sure you have something so there is wiring already at the vent for the upgrade. If you are asking the dealer about the vent fan be sure to ask for description. Also check the unit you are buying not the brochure or another unit as on ours the brochure listed a vent in the bedroom and there was none. FR said no longer adding bedroom vent fan. We really love our FE and have had no issues.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I have the 2015 Freedom Express 310BHDS. I can't tell the area you live in (please add that to your profile, it helps with answers) but I am way down here in hot and humid SW GA. My unit has one 15K Dometic A/C and has been hard to cool since day one. I recently added a second 15K unit and in running the new wiring for it I had to cut a hole into the exterior sidewall of the TT. The plug I removed from the hole saw showed me that there is only 1" of styrofoam insulation in the exterior sidewall, not much insulation IMO. So, should you upgrade to the 15K unit? I think that depends on what part of the country you are in and where you will be camping. IF the dealer makes you a really good deal on the upgrade I would certainly take advantage of that.
Azdel is supposed to have 3 times the insulation of wood. I read this on a Google search: "Hanwha Azdel’s SuperLite panels are 50% lighter than wood, offer better insulation (the panels offer an additional R-2 R-Value to what ever is already there), are impact- and puncture-resistant and are rot, mold and water-resistant."
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #6

Thanks for all the great feedback. The dealer is working up a quote to upgrade the a/c so we'll see what he says. He did confirm the bathroom fan, but did say it wasn't a FanTastic fan or one of those. That's okay, I can swap that out. I was discouraged to hear it didn't have a black tank flush.

We're going to look it over again tomorrow after we check out the Rockwood Mini Lite that is also in the running. I like the azdel in the Coachmen and it's not butt ugly like the Mini Lite, but the Mini is feature rich.

I thought this would be easier :-) After 40 yrs of RVing, I should have known better :-)

Greg
Old 07-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

IMO.

Get the bigger A/C.. Youll be glad you did.
2. Get the optional ladder in back. Youll be glad to be able to get on the roof easy.
3. Get the frameless window upgrade.
4. 8 ci refridge if it dont have one already
5. Thermal pack... ( I dont know what that option is but I would want it.
6.Coleman Slide-Out High Output Grill (Select models) Yes I would want if I could of got it.
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #8

We had 15 FE 248rbs. We had 2 ACs 15000 and 13500. Worked well at 100 degrees. The Coleman high output grill was a joke, we hated it. We traded it for a MH. The trailer was a good one.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #9

Thumbs up FE

Have a Freedom Express Liberty Edition 276 RKDS. We've had it since 11'2015 and have been very pleased. Our A/C is 15,000 btu and does an adequate job cooling through the Florida winter and NE summer. Our heat is the 30,000 btu furnace and it does a good job all the way down to 25 degrees. This is the lowest temps we've experienced but we were always comfortable. Both units cycle o neither is over working. I think I'd upgrade to the 15,000 btu A/C.as others have said. This way you'll have that extra capacity if you ever need it.
Good luck with your new RV. Happy motoring!
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #10

Still waiting to hear back on the price of upgrading the AC unit. This is a 2017 model that he's had on the lot for a while so he's done a nice job negotiating prices so far. Too late to do frameless windows and such, but we did have him add:
rear ladder
power tongue jack
slide topper
Blue Ox Sway Pro

The other model we're looking at is a Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S. I prefer the Azdel in the Coachmen, but the Rockwood has a lot of features that came standard that the Coachmen is lacking. Money is about the same either way.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
IMO.

Get the bigger A/C.. Youll be glad you did.
2. Get the optional ladder in back. Youll be glad to be able to get on the roof easy.
3. Get the frameless window upgrade.
4. 8 ci refridge if it dont have one already
5. Thermal pack... ( I dont know what that option is but I would want it.
6.Coleman Slide-Out High Output Grill (Select models) Yes I would want if I could of got it.
me too
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
Happy Keystone Owner

I thought I wouldn't miss having a couch with the amount of time I spend outside...boy was I wrong! Those dinettes are the worst.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #13

Grill

Our Coachmen came with the Coleman grill and we weren't happy with it. We take along our Weber "Q" propane grill and love it. The nifty slide arrangement for the Coleman is kinda worthless now that we don't use the grill and really not big enough to convert for a different purpose.
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #14

Getting closer...

We eliminated a couple other contenders today and the Freedom Express 25SE is bubbling closer to the top. The dealer has been very good so far trying to meet my "demands". We're awfully close and they will pull the 13.5 ac unit and replace it with the 15, but of course I will have to kick in a bit of it too. I will go away with the old "new" 13.5 unit and sell it on Craigslist to recoup some of that exchange cost. I spent some time under it and on the roof to inspect seals, etc and they were good about brining out a ladder for me to do that.

Ladder, slide topper, hitch and ladder are all worked out, so the ac is the last block to pulling the trigger and I'm sure we'll find middle ground.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Greg
Old 07-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #15

Just run it with the current A/C and see how it performs. Thats a small enough trailer you should be OK.
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
Just run it with the current A/C and see how it performs. Thats a small enough trailer you should be OK.
The dealer had it plugged in for us the other day and it just wasn't keeping up with the heat. Granted, it was 97 degrees, but we run into that enough that it has to keep it more comfortable. I'm sure a lot had to do with us going in and out, but it's also the case these light weights without "4-season packages" don't have much insulation. If we go for this unit, it will need the bigger unit for me to feel good about it.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #17

Like Capt104, We also hated the grill that came with it. I got a Coleman one and converted to propane. The slide out drawer (that housed the grill) we use for an infrared 2 burner cooktop. We used to use it for a Coleman stove but got tired of the wind messing with the flame.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #18

Guess folks are different. I like the slide out coleman grill. And when I'm done, just slide it in out of the way......
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom, freedom express