Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #1

Freedom Express Insul-tec Radiant Barrier

Does anyone have the Insul Tec option on their Freedom Express and if so can you comment on it's effectiveness, does it work and is it worth the investment when ordering a unit ? Also wondering if anyone is able to run a 15K A/C unit with a Honda 3000 generator. I am trying to decide which way to order our new camper .

Thanks

Pennred
pennred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

A number of years back when we resided our home, it involved a total strip off of the old Louisiana Pacific siding (the stuff that failed and was the subject of a major class action). We replaced this with Hardi-plank. I also took the added measure of installing a Reflectix double reflective insulation layer beneath the Hardi-plank (it was an approved Hardi underlayment and also served as a vapor barrier). Another plus was the contractor said if we bought the product he would install it at no additional cost as he was planning on the labor for a vapor barrier in the bid already.

After it was installed, we did notice a couple of things. The house was quieter overall with less outside noise making it inside (some of this is probably due to the density of the Hardi-plank), and it seemed to hold heat/cold in better as our utility bills went down about 15-20% on average each month. So in my mind the double reflective insulation product did make a difference.

I presume this is the same sort of product that Coachmen uses in their "radiant barrier upgrade", do depending on the increased cost of that package, I would think it will make a difference.

Another thing I learned. I had some of the Reflectix left over and in my previous trailer I made cutouts to friction fit in the overhead fan vent and window openings for added insulation and daytime sleeping (it blocks 100% of the light). Windows in my prior trailer were the main point of thermal shift, so that friction fit insulation in the interior of the window frame did make a difference. Of course you can't see out the window then, but for storage it also kept out the UV and prevented fading of the interior.

So I would probably consider it if I was buying new, or it was on a unit I was looking at (consider it a plus).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks for the info , I am thinking the same . I am going to order my unit with the barrier as it should help with heating and cooling .

Pennred
pennred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom, freedom express