Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #1

Freedom Express Slide Seal Question

So, I picked up a new 2022 Freedom Express for my in-laws last week. I am experienced in travel trailers... but mostly in my own (Cherokee).
In my PDI I went through everything and was able to get a few small issues corrected before taking delivery. HOWEVER....
Dinette slide out- the top/roof seal- specifically the sweep/wipe seal, makes almost NO contact with the roof of the slide. In my TT the sweep seal has great contact with the roof of the slide and flips over when opened and closed. While it doesn't keep out all water it does a pretty good job clearing the roof when closing it.
Anyway, when I closed my in-law's slide at the dealer I got a flood of water coming in (it was raining lightly). The parts manager that was doing our walkthrough tells me this is normal. I disagree but accept his answer at that moment. I then climbed up so I could see the top and slide seal- the sweep seal is barely making contact with the roof of the slide and in many places didn't touch at all! (slide partially out so I could see the seal's location during operation)
I pointed this out to the parts manager again and he said well that seal doesn't really do anything, the inner and outer seal are what keep water out when its open or closed. Mind you he is on his hands and knees with paper towels cleaning up the water from closing.

I think he is full of "stuff" with his answer... does anyone here have a freedom express that can confirm the proper contact between the slide roof and the sweep seal? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not willing to take his word. (there were several other red flags that told me he didn't know what he was talking about)

*I will take a picture for everyone when I get to their house later today.

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #2

Doesn't sound right. Did you look at any other 2022 Freedom Express's (same model) and check the slide seal on those?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:49 AM   #3

Unfortunately no... They were already pushing me out the door, the day was getting late, etc. I'm hoping to go back in this week to look at some on the lot.

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:40 PM   #4

I watched mine close from above last week. (wife was at the controls and I was watching because we were under a maple tree that was happily dropping seeds). The seal had good contact and flipped over while closing like you mentioned your Cherokee doing.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:07 PM   #5

Freedom Express Seal

You are correct, the service guy was feeding you a line of BS. My seal, and my buddies seal on top of our slide outs wipes just like you mentioned, at least 50 percent of the seal is contacting the roof. Same as the side seals. We both have Freedom Express campers. We have never had water intrusion when we close our slides. Something is wrong.
Diverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Service guy was wrong. My seal has a good 3/8" of contact all the way across the roof. It not only wipes away debris, but most all the water. It needs to be reinstalled.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:55 PM   #7
Retired Old Fart

Is it a seal issue or the slideout not being adjusted properly?
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:58 PM   #8

Agree, my slide seals all make toms of contact and I've never (knock on wood) had water come in when retracting the slide.

As dward51 says, your slide may be too low. There are bolts on the bottom of the slide which adjust how the slide body sits on the rails. I'd check the seal locations first though.

What model is it?

2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS
2019 Ford F150 Super Crew 3.5 Eco Boost Max Tow Package
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom, freedom express, question, seal, slide