Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

Freedom Express spare tire

It seems that all the Freedom Express models have the spare tire mounted under the front a-frame. When we picked up our 192 RBS it was freshly manufactured and shipped, but the steel spare tire wheel already had some surface rust because the water just sits on it. Additionally, I watched the techs install the WDH. They had to remove the spare, and they struggled a bit to remount the spare. When I got home, I removed and remounted the spare and found it to be a royal pain. I threw away the mounting hardware and carry the tire in the pass through.

It is still a little big of a hassle to get to the spare, and it does take up some room. I’m looking for a better way to carry it. I thought about in the truck, but I need a place to put it when I’m not using the camper.

Has anyone added a rear bumper spare tire carrier to their Freedom Express? I’m wondering why Coachmen didn’t do this. The bumper looks the same to me as every other rv bumper, and 99% of the trailers I’ve seen use the rear bumper to carry the spare.

I’ve written to Coachmen, but would like other’s input if you’ve made this “modification”.
Thanks!
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #2

The bumper may look the same but not be rated to carry the load of a spare tire. With that said there is a product that reinforces the square bumper when adding a tire or bike rack to the bumper. do a google search for RV bumper brace.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The bumper may look the same but not be rated to carry the load of a spare tire. With that said there is a product that reinforces the square bumper when adding a tire or bike rack to the bumper. do a google search for RV bumper brace.
Thanks, SeaDog. I was thinking about adding the brace if i decide to mount the spare there.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #4

I'd definitely look at putting the spare on your bumper. We have a 2018 Coachman Freedom Express 204. While traveling in August, I heard a loud thump and stopped to see what had happened. The spare tire bracket had broken loose and the spare went under the trailer demolishing the under belly covering. It also twisted one of the cross members forward of the axels. Never found the spare but a couple in another vehicle behind me saw it traveling out through the woods. I've filed an insurance claim and the total for repairs will be around $3300. The bracket shouldn't have broken in my opinion. After the repairs are complete, I'll be looking at another spare tire mounting system, or if a similar bracket is installed, I will at the very least chain it with a safety chain. Luckily, it didn't hit the vehicle behind me. I'm not a happy camper.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #5

Doug, i didnt like the spare under the front a-frame, but i never thought about it dropping off and causing damage.

As i mentioned, i reached out to Coachmen via email last weekend. They got back to me Monday morning, and asked me for my VIN. Based on that info, they later replied that the frame manufacturer stated the frame and bumper are not designed for any accessories, even a spare tire. Guess ill leave it in the passthrough.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #6

Jfkmk, thanks much for the info. I kind of figured the bumper was aluminum and susceptible to wear from any kind of mounted bracket. Oh well, the safety chain is going to need to be installed after the repairs are done.

Tags
freedom, freedom express, tire