Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2022, 08:28 AM   #1

Freedom Solar Ready?

Newbie to this forum. New owner (2nd travel trailer) of 2022 Coachmen Freedom Express 192 RBS.
I believe I was told that this unit was "solar ready", and The " Production order options" document lists, among other items, the term "Freedom Solar Ready".

Can anyone tell me what this means? I find no external, nor internal, solar connectors. I found a sticker inside the storage area which seems to suggest that I could find controller wiring behind the sticker. Nothing there, nor behind the small panel to which the sticker was applied. A call to the service department of the selling dealer proved fruitless.I am eager to have the ability to employ my standalone solar panel, with controller, but don't really want to run another pair of wires to the battery.

Should I have been expecting more? What is the neatest way to complete the wiring for my solar charging sysyem? I have purchased a Furion external, covered, two-pin connector which is what came with my previous trailer and to which I know my controller will be compatible.
This is my first time providing my own wiring for a solar panel and I wonder what tidbits of wisdom the members of this forum might impart to me.

Thanks in advance, Tom
NH Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:20 PM   #2

I just bought a 238BHS and am running into the same issue. No documentation, stickers, wires, nothing. I have no idea how to utilize this.
NevinsFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:34 AM   #3

Did you look on the roof for the solar connector?
Old 03-27-2022, 07:30 AM   #4

by no means am i a solar expert but to me "solar ready" is nothing but a marketing ploy and a very cheap trickler charger for your battery. Any serious solar use would require upgrades. Things could be changing on newer units?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:33 AM   #5

Thanks for responding to my query. Yes, I have looked on the roof; nothing obvious up there and this would be a very inconvenient location given my freestanding panels. I've resigned myself to wiring the (just purchased) Furion bulkhead connector directly to the battery.
Its become a relatively small issue given the sloppy job the RV dealer did installing the WD hitch.
Best, Tom
Old 03-27-2022, 07:38 AM   #6

Thanks Kimber. As this is TT #2, I should not be surprised; just disappointed! Fortunately for my circumstance, in spite of my stupid arthritis, I have the ability and technical experience to do a proper installation myself!
Old 03-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Team

Solar ready generally means there is a connector on the roof or side of the TT and a wire ( usually too small) running to the battery location. No Panel, no usage monitor and no controller. As mentioned it is a marketing ploy. If you plan to use solar, the first thing you should do is determine your WHr demands and plan your system around that.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:31 PM   #8

We are picking up a new 257BHS this weekend and have been looking at the solar options as well.

We are coming from a Geo Pro with the 190 watt roof panel and 30 amp controller, so we have done some digging on the Freedom Express stuff. There should be a connector on the roof with cabling run down to behind a panel on the camp side of the passthrough storage (it's behind the little finished panel on the left). That's where the controller would be mounted (Freedom Express uses Jaboni controllers, but another brand may work). My understanding is that's where the "prep" or "ready" stuff stops. You then need to get wires to the battery location from the controller location.

The Jaboni's can have an external display or I think they Bluetooth to an app for the charge and battery state info.

Right now the wife just wants the "necessities" and solar isn't one. I would rather her be on board with it so that I can stay on board the camper at night

Tags
freedom, solar