Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

Freezing weather

It rarely gets below freezing in Savannah, GA, especially on an inland where I live. However, they are forecasting low temps of 14-16 degrees F for Wed. That means the island will be 18-20 degrees. My Coachmen 19 cb is in a storage yard with no power hook ups. Will it prevent freezing if I bring it home to my driveway and run an electric heater off my 20 amp outlet? If the cold could have just held off, I am leaving next week for a month in various Florida states parks. Don't want to have to go through a big winterizing hoopla just to have to undo it. This RV is less than a year old. Any advice from your experienced RVers?

Thanks for the answers on the questions about my electronic tire pressure monitor. It has been installed.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

When you say you don't want to go through a winterizing hoopla--I assume this means that the plumbing is still full of water? You need to get that water out of the pipes or you could have a mess come next week. Like, an expensive, unpleasant to deal with, mess. Start by getting a blow out plug and use compressed air to empty every line of plumbing, drain the HWH by removing the anode rod, and open the low point drains. Believe me, the "hoopla" is worth the headaches it will prevent. And be glad you don't live in the midwest or northeast... Doing it with air is easy to "undo," you just turn the water back on and let the air blow out of the faucets/shower/toilet when you're ready to use.

There's no way I'd trust a plug in heater to keep my pipes from freezing.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Is your underbelly covered with the furnace that blows under the floor? If it does, bring it home and run the heat. Or drain your freshwater and hot water heater then blow compressed air thru the water lines opening every valve.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #4

I would bring it home and plug in the electric heater. You may have tank heaters as well that you could turn on.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
When you say you don't want to go through a winterizing hoopla--I assume this means that the plumbing is still full of water? You need to get that water out of the pipes or you could have a mess come next week. Like, an expensive, unpleasant to deal with, mess. Start by getting a blow out plug and use compressed air to empty every line of plumbing, drain the HWH by removing the anode rod, and open the low point drains. Believe me, the "hoopla" is worth the headaches it will prevent. And be glad you don't live in the midwest or northeast... Doing it with air is easy to "undo," you just turn the water back on and let the air blow out of the faucets/shower/toilet when you're ready to use.

There's no way I'd trust a plug in heater to keep my pipes from freezing.
X2!!! I live in Atlanta & camp often in Savannah (Skidaway State Park). Winterizing is a pain but replacing leaking plumbing or a water pump is expensive and a whole lot more of a pain! A small heater will not help your exposed tank valves. I spent time this afternoon making sure my rig is ready for the low temps this week.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbconway View Post
X2!!! I live in Atlanta & camp often in Savannah (Skidaway State Park). Winterizing is a pain but replacing leaking plumbing or a water pump is expensive and a whole lot more of a pain! A small heater will not help your exposed tank valves. I spent time this afternoon making sure my rig is ready for the low temps this week.
This is the (SAFE) way! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #7

While some of you southern, and CA gentlemen consider a pain to winterize, us northern folks just do it out of necessity. Let us know if anything pops!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #8

One option is to bring it home and while using the electric heater, run the furnace also. 16 degrees is cold, and will freeze things up, but if it gets above freezing during the day this should work fine. Up here in Michigan I'd camp into November with temps at night in the teens, and highs during the day around 30 and not have things freeze. Open up all low point drains and faucets to drain any residual water.

Since there seems to be more and more low teens temps happening in the southern states now a days, best bet is to acquire a air compressor, an adapter with a air valve to thread into the water fill, and use air to blow out the lines. Only takes a few minutes and can be done after every outing. Just remember to regulate the air to 45-50lbs so as not to blow any lines/fittings apart. Also pull the plug and drain the water heater.

If I resided in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, or any other southern states, I would use this method instead of using the anti freeze.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
WFD

Don`t be foolish...winterize, winterize, winterize. If you don`t, you will likely be dealing with a whole lot more hoopla. If you own an RV....winterizing is part of the package, at least for a huge majority of us, and even if you live in warmer climates, you never know when your travels will take you to a place where you will suddenly have to winterize...it`s just part of knowing your RV.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #10

Freezing weather

Thank you all for your replies and your help. The RV made it through last night okay and the temperatures are supposed to be above freezing in the predicted future. Am leaving and heading south for a month next week. I live on Skidaway Island (very close to the State Park) and being close to the water keeps the temperatures a little warmer here. Owning a RV is very new to me and I am learning a little at a time so truly appreciate the help and advice from all of you. I have already learned that I love the lifestyle and am not happy unless I am on the road. Thank you all again. If you see me in campgrounds, feel free to come give me more advice and teach me more. The license plate on the front of my RV says Skidaway Island, Savannah Georgia.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum neighbor! I feel your concern about these temperatures. Happy Camping from Beaufort.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #12

We had a trip planned for Thanksgiving, 2013, and I hoped to get through November without winterizing. About a week before the trip we had 30 degrees forecast, but since our coach was in covered storage that was open at the front but closed on the sides and rear, I felt it would be okay. It is open to the east so I knew it would warm up quickly the next morning. I woke up about 4 am that morning (not intentionally!) and decided to go check on it. When I got to the storage site it was less than 25 degrees! I ran the furnace and water heater for about 45 minutes and thoroughly warmed everything up, and didn't have a problem. It was below freezing the next night, too, but not quite as cold. I went to the site and ran the furnace and water heater again.

I had no problems that time, but I won't let that happen again. I worry too much to take chances. And as others have posted, the grief of broken plumbing is way worse than the trouble and expense of winterizing and extra time or two.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #13

Freezing weather

I rarely have more than one night of freezing weather due to both my southern and my island locations. Most years my outdoor plants don't even freeze. Lately it has been different. So much for global warming. I've had to learn a tremendous amount this year as a non mechnical person who travels on my own. Now I'll add winterizing to my learning - or maybe just spend more time in Florida. Again, thank all of you for your help through this forum. It is appreciated!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #14

Nice, you made it through the cold! I always wonder just how cold it needs to be & for how long before a pipe would burst. I'm too far north so mine's winterized.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

I really enjoy corresponding with all of you RV experts. As I said before, if you see a Coachmen 19cb with a Skidaway Island, Savannah, Georgia tag on the front please stop by and let me ask you lots and lots of questions!
Old 02-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Camper View Post
I always wonder just how cold it needs to be & for how long before a pipe would burst.
I wonder that too ....So we may freeze for the first time in 5 yrs down here in Tampa ... only couple nights and may not happen. What temp & how long??? ideas?
What are you all using to blow out the water? DH is claiming we need to replace the anode & water filter if he takes it apart ?

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #17

Savannah Freezing Temps

It did get down to 25 here in Savannah for one night. Maybe it was warmer near the water where my RV is stored. I store with holding tanks and water tank empty. Have since spent a month in Fl (a wk of that at wonderful Ft.Desoto) and have had no problems with the RV.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
I wonder that too ....So we may freeze for the first time in 5 yrs down here in Tampa ... only couple nights and may not happen. What temp & how long??? ideas?
What are you all using to blow out the water? DH is claiming we need to replace the anode & water filter if he takes it apart ?

Removing the anode doesn't factor into replacement. You replace "as needed," or when it's useful life has run its course. Just google it.
Just my opinion... For me, if the temps are right at or just below freezing for only a couple hours, I don't worry too much about it. If it drops into the mid or lower 20's, I blow the lines out with air and drain the HW tank. I use an oilless pancake IR air compressor to blow the lines. I purchased a quick connect adaptor from Amazon... One end screws into the water intake on my TT, the other end is the air quick connect. Set my PSI to 30-35.
And don't forget to blow out the black tank flush too.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Removing the anode doesn't factor into replacement. You replace "as needed," or when it's useful life has run its course. Just google it.
Just my opinion... For me, if the temps are right at or just below freezing for only a couple hours, I don't worry too much about it. If it drops into the mid or lower 20's, I blow the lines out with air and drain the HW tank. I use an oilless pancake IR air compressor to blow the lines. I purchased a quick connect adaptor from Amazon... One end screws into the water intake on my TT, the other end is the air quick connect. Set my PSI to 30-35.
And don't forget to blow out the black tank flush too.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
This is exactly what I did. The blow out plug came from Walmart's RV section and the pancake air compressor from Harbor Freight.

= Too easy...

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #20

our one night of hard freeze is over for the year (I hope) ... opened & drained all the lines but no blowing out (DH claims it was overkill).....next rip April ...hope all is well!

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote