Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 02:47 AM   #1

Freshwater tank Damage from road debris.

Hello everyone, need some advice on repairing fresh water tank. Left Phoenix today to go to Show Low AZ for some cooler weather. 1 hour into the trip and debris on the road flew up under trailer first hit wires ripped out for the camera on trailer 2nd hit: right side jack bent 180 degrees upward the debris 3rd hit: bounced back under trailer hitting fresh water tank just enough to put a hole that drips 1 drop a per second. That is one amazing peace of debris.

Anyway first campground with no water to hook up we knew that but now I need help on how to repair the hole in the plastic tank?? Told the wife give me piece of gum I’ll tape it good to go. No gum we don’t chew gum. I duct taped it but it all leaked out when we arrived. Any ideas ? Or new tank? I will put something to cover that tank 24ga sheet metal or something!!
Old 06-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #2

You might give some of that flex seal tape a try I have not used it but they say is will seal most anything and stick in wet areas. What are the odds of hitting something like that agin?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Brake is on left

HDPE is hard to get anything to stick to. It is made to withstand oil, gas, diesel, chemicals and a host of other things (except debris strikes ). There are some bonding epoxy that do an ok job for a while but the tank will flex and break it loose over time. However.... fortunately it can be welded! You can get a kit and do it yourself or take it to a shop. Most RV/ trailer shops around here can do it. If you DIY, practice on some scrap HDPE first.

https://www.harborfreight.com/plasti...ent-96712.html
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

I have not used this but it looks promising and the video shows where to find HDPE that you could try to weld if you go that route. Good luck. Please share your repair.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You might give some of that flex seal tape a try I have not used it but they say is will seal most anything and stick in wet areas. What are the odds of hitting something like that agin?
This fix i used is perfect. Go to rv dealer supply or ebay. Buy black tank sealer, comer in a small can with a brush. Purchase a piece of fiberglass cloth. cut in a med square 3 or 4 inches . apply sealer , cloth , press in to sealer , sealer again , let dry Repeat sealer ,cloth sealer. Be sure tank has no water in it .
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #6

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this issue. I am going to try and repair it before I replace it. I will follow up with the results. Still having fun camping, brought enough bottled water for this trip who needs a fresh water tank!!!!!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Hello everyone, need some advice on repairing fresh water tank. Left Phoenix today to go to Show Low AZ for some cooler weather. 1 hour into the trip and debris on the road flew up under trailer first hit wires ripped out for the camera on trailer 2nd hit: right side jack bent 180 degrees upward the debris 3rd hit: bounced back under trailer hitting fresh water tank just enough to put a hole that drips 1 drop a per second. That is one amazing peace of debris.

Anyway first campground with no water to hook up we knew that but now I need help on how to repair the hole in the plastic tank?? Told the wife give me piece of gum I’ll tape it good to go. No gum we don’t chew gum. I duct taped it but it all leaked out when we arrived. Any ideas ? Or new tank? I will put something to cover that tank 24ga sheet metal or something!!
He said plastic tank! not metal. never seen a metal water tank in a rv. READ WHAT IS WRITTEN .
Old 06-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #8

plastic tank not metal. READ MORE CAREFULLY.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #9
REL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
plastic tank not metal. READ MORE CAREFULLY.
Uhh Plastic welding.. it does exist. Btw Hdp is plastic. Read more carefully.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
Uhh Plastic welding.. it does exist. Btw Hdp is plastic. Read more carefully.
Kinda like those little M&M guys when they meet Santa. Lol
Been there and welded it. Well, not HDPE but ABS. It is not by any means difficult but it does require patience and a relatively steady hand.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #11

We have had good luck with this in the marine environment.

3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 4200FC is a one-component, medium-strength, moisture-curing, gap-filling polyurethane that delivers strong, flexible bonds to aluminum, wood, gelcoat and fiberglass. It forms watertight, weather-resistant seals above and below the waterline. In addition, its flexibility allows for dissipation of stress caused by shock, vibration, swelling or shrinking.
Chief4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #12

I believe he meant a shield to protect the tank in the future.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #13

Neighbor did that on his 5ver two years ago. Chunk of a Leaf spring went thru tank. LARGE HOLE to fix. He cut piece of old water jug and epoxy. Then I think it was Fiberglass patch about 2" larger than the first. Lastly he covered the area with Eternabond tape about 4" larger than the last patch. Overkill ? maybe, but not a drop in two years and the patch is solid.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #14

Plastic welding works. Help my son fix a large gash in his Hobie Kayak. An unscrupulous person sold it to him, via one of the sale apps. He found the gash on his first trip, when the boat half sank. The seller had done some serious rigging with fiberglass, duct tape and and some other goop. The gash was located in a very hard to get at location. But after some You Tubes, a visit to Harbor Freight for the plastic welder, and the purchase of a blue Lowe’s (HDPE) bucket (matched the kayak color) we completed the repair. We did practice the welding skill before the repair. It was incredibly successful, many trips into the river and some into the Atlantic and have seen no leaks.
NP Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #15

While you're ordering parts (jack, coroplast, etc.), buy a new fresh tank. They're cheap. While you're installing it, make sure it's adequately supported. This would be a good time to reinforce the mounts that carry it. Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. Let's assume you have 50 gallons of freshwater capacity. Deduct 6 gallons for the hot water heater. 44 x 8.3 = 365 pounds...in a plastic tank that may only be supported around its perimeter or with sheet-metal "angle iron".

You may be able to "weld" the tank, but by the time you get it "welded", you may as well have a new one unless you 'know someone'. There are no adhesives that will repair it. You'll waste a ton of money on things that don't work. Ask me how I know.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky53 View Post
I believe he meant a shield to protect the tank in the future.

[emoji1303]
Old 06-30-2020, 03:45 AM   #17

I have read where people have successfully used Eternabond tape to repair minor leaks in their tanks. It’s worth a shot.

Bruce
Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 AM   #18

Here i sone more down and dirty fix. Since the drip is so small you could possibly get one sending unit for the level system.

They are basically a rubber seal with a bolt through them.

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Screw-...a-786362947846

Drill the hole, plug in the sensor, tighten it up and it shoud be sealed for the life of the camper.

Fast, easy cheap, Perfect

This fix is dependent on the hole being small enough to be covered by the sensors rubber flange. If it is any larger then the fiberglass or plastic welding would be the best option.

Might be able to find this at an Auto Parts House...

Old 06-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Here i sone more down and dirty fix. Since the drip is so small you could possibly get one sending unit for the level system.

They are basically a rubber seal with a bolt through them.

Drill the hole, plug in the sensor, tighten it up and it shoud be sealed for the life of the camper.

Fast, easy cheap, Perfect

This fix is dependent on the hole being small enough to be covered by the sensors rubber flange. If it is any larger then the fiberglass or plastic welding would be the best option.

Might be able to find this at an Auto Parts House...

You could also use a bait well plug/drain:

https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...7PV1Q9HM21FHJE

Bruce
Old 06-30-2020, 06:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
You could also use a bait well plug/drain:

https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...7PV1Q9HM21FHJE

Bruce
Isnt that designed to be pushed into a tube in the drain, instead of a thin piece of plastic like the sensors?

It is larger in diameter to be sure and might work if the hole or crack were too big for the sensor fix

Tags
tank, water, water tank