Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

Frustrated with Directv

I have tried for 3 days and over 5.5 hours speaking with customer service trying to get DNS turned on. I had it last year but someone in the Philippines turned it off instead of suspending the service. I have reapplied and filled out all the forms and they have been submitted to Directv in January. All I have heard is. We do not offer that service. What is an RV? We do not have an RV department or mobile services department. I do not know what you are talking about. I have been transferred so many times I have lost count. The language barrier is also a problem on some calls or transfers. I wrote the presidents of Directv and ATTG yesterday. I know that will not do any good but I feel better.

So my questions are:
1.Anyone have any suggestions how I get the service turned back on?
2. Since we will not move much on this summer trip can I just call each time we move and get local channels?
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jkfham View Post
2. Since we will not move much on this summer trip can I just call each time we move and get local channels?
Yes.

Bruce
Old 02-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #3

You must keep insisting to speak to an English speaking operator. You must insist on speaking to a supervisor. I battled with a billing error for three months before I found someone to fix it. When the did finally fix it they gave me an $80.00 12 month discount for my trouble. It all started with wanting local channels at my seasonal site in MA. Before ATT, I could change the zip code myself. Now they want 3 hours to do it if you can find someone who knows how. OH, and you must stay on the line!!! I bring my equipment and hook it up myself. They billed me twice for a Tech to come to my house and install new equipment!!!!!!! It's a real bitch!!
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #4

So your saying your box is not working? Just have a new signal to the box, that's all I do if I don't use it for 30 days. As far as locals I don't get them I just use my OTA antenna. But you can call them and get them to, but they do frown on that if you do it more then once. So do your set up and when it's says that it can't find a signal it will give you a number to call, tell them you need a signal sent to that box, they will do it and you should get Directv again.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

Consider switching to Dish Network. Works like a charm, I turn it on and off about 4 times a year. I had issues with DirecTV years ago, I made them go away.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #6

Ive had the same issues as cavie. I try to get my local Chanel switched to Florida when we are there. Takes a couple hours and 5 different techs to get it done. Then you get an e-mail that a service tech will be out to install new service for a charge of $307. That another issue?

I had Disc before and they have it figured out but are more expensive.

Direct TV is owned by AT&T now and all they care about when you call is to make sure that you have AT&T phones!!

Only thing you can do is just stay on phone and hope to get it corrected ?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Sounds like a OTA for locals is best way to go, just leave the zip code at home. Sports is another thing though, need the home team!! Go Huskers!!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
So your saying your box is not working? Just have a new signal to the box, that's all I do if I don't use it for 30 days. As far as locals I don't get them I just use my OTA antenna. But you can call them and get them to, but they do frown on that if you do it more then once. So do your set up and when it's says that it can't find a signal it will give you a number to call, tell them you need a signal sent to that box, they will do it and you should get Directv again.
I have all the channels working except DNS.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jkfham View Post
I have all the channels working except DNS.
What is DSN ? I guess I missed something....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Distant Network Services
Msgtret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
From the AT&T/DirecTV website:

DNS for your RV, car or boat

Certain types of vehicles are eligible for DNS without requiring home address eligibility. For eligible vehicles, see item No. 11 of the FCC Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act fact sheet. Boats and other marine vessels do not qualify for this special consideration.

How DNS works

Distant Network Service (DNS) enables you to receive ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC channel feeds from New York or Los Angeles. DNS offers a great solution for travelers interested in watching local feeds from their mobile vehicles

Bruce
Old 02-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Direct TV offers either the east coast or west coast Network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW and one PBS. (Called Distant Network Service)

This is offered to boaters and RVs on the move. You must sign up, complete some forms and submit to Directv or even Dish for approval. (FCC Requirement)

Ever since ATT took over Directv it has been a b..... trying to get these channels turned on. Those in the Philippine call centers have no idea what you are talking about and very hard to get anyone in the USA.