Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #1

Fun In The Sun

Our family has been enjoying our Viking 17BH. And, the van has been doing very well, once I figured out the correct way to drive it - 4th or 5th gear at 60MPH, it really depends on the wind and elevation. Luckily, I'm in FL so elevation is pretty flat unless I'm going over a bridge or traveling through the hills of our home town Clermont, FL. Last weekend we made our second trip to Jetty Park in Cocoa Beach, FL. Next month we are traveling to Waveland, MS and then in August to Myrtle Beach, SC. I'm using Torque on my Android to monitor transmission and coolant temps. At 60MPH in 5th gear the tranny is around 180-degrees, but if there is a headwind I've seen spike around 210. My dealer told me 220+ is a cause for alarm. We are changing tranny fluid at 30K mile intervals, although there is only 15K miles on the van at this time. I only hope it survives a few more years until we buy a larger tow vehicle, and maybe a larger trailer if I'm lucky! We bought the trailer in February and so far have been out four times. We have learned that four day weekends are far better than three day weekends, because those three day weekends just don't seem long enough. Lion Country Safari was our furthest trip, roughly 200 miles. But, Buccaneer State Park in MS will be three times that. We are driving at night so the kids can sleep. And, I am using furkot.com to help me plan the drive - well worth checking out.

Nights Out YTD - 17 (6 Trips)
Travel Companions - DW, DS (5) & DS (1)
VicD is offline   Reply With Quote