Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkemnitzer View Post
I am looking for a portable generator that will run my 15000 A/C that is quiet so I can run it at parks when needed and not upset the other campers.
My A/C does not have the easy start option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Realistically, you will need/want a 3000w (or two - 2000w) to run your AC. Now, someone will answer they can run their AC on a 2000w or 800w. Good for them.

Look at the dB ratings of the generators for an idea of how loud they will be. I have had both Honda and Yamaha (along with a couple of off brands). Both were quiet and very dependable.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:59 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big george santa View Post
I suggest looking for a Kholer powered gen. They make them that run full power at 1800 rpm verses 3600 for a normal gen.
Does Kohler make a portable inverter generator, which is what the OP is asking for? They have a regular TT, not a Toyhauler like you so no generator compartment.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:58 PM   #23

Quote:
I am looking for a portable generator that will run my 15000 A/C that is quiet so I can run it at parks when needed and not upset the other campers.
My A/C does not have the easy start option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
https://www.harborfreight.com/genera...ogy-59137.html

Amazing genny. My next door neighbor camper had one of these recently and it was absolutely silent. I asked them "Is your A/C running?" They said, "Yep!" Too bad it weighs 100 lbs.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:17 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/genera...ogy-59137.html

Amazing genny. My next door neighbor camper had one of these recently and it was absolutely silent. I asked them "Is your A/C running?" They said, "Yep!" Too bad it weighs 100 lbs.
Yep, definitely the only good HF choice. Many happy and satisfied owners.
The 2000w Predator inverter generator is WAY to loud for that class of inverter generators. Not worth buying.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #25

Portable Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Does Kohler make a portable inverter generator, which is what the OP is asking for? They have a regular TT, not a Toyhauler like you so no generator compartment.

Yes Kohler makes Portable gens of various sizes that put out full power at 1800 rpm verses 3600 rpm lower rpm makes it run quite.
Big george santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:03 PM   #26
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
Like TowPro, my Predator 3500 has been a great addition for me. I always try to point the exhaust away from other campers, which keeps the noise way down. I can't hear it 50 yards away.
I added the large wheel kit:
https://www.autoworksusa.com/product...3500-wheel-kit

My only regret was that I didn't do it immediately. It's a wonderful upgrade...

Charlie
X2 on my Predator 3500

. . . thanks for the hint on the large wheel kit. Does it come in 4WD so it can pull itself into the back of my pickup?
I use a
HME Hitch Game Hoist
to lift mine into my truck.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big george santa View Post
Yes Kohler makes Portable gens of various sizes that put out full power at 1800 rpm verses 3600 rpm lower rpm makes it run quite.
The question was about INVERTER generators, not portable. Kohler has no inverter generators listed on their website, just ones that are open-frame contractor-style generators. So very loud since the one with the lowest decibel rating is 71.5db, easily exceeding National Park standards.
https://kohlerpower.com/en/powerequi...cts/generators

Old 10-26-2022, 11:30 AM   #28

Champion dual fuel inverter gens are almost as quiet as a Honda and a lot cheaper. They have various sizes and also have combos that will run anything.
(formerly 2016 Georgetown 378XLF
Amateur Radio KA5GIL vhf/uhfonboard
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:55 AM   #29

Generator.

Quote:
Thanks!
The first one people want to suggest is a Honda. A 3500 watt should do it and Harbor Freight sells a very good one substantially less than a Honda Here's the web page with a comparison to Honda. https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...%2F+inverter+s
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:13 PM   #30

Smile

The Champion 100158 is a 3400/2800 watt surge/running inverter generator. It is set up for a 30A RV service. Ours is about as quiet as any (58 dB at 25 ft) except the Honda. From Factory Pure, it is $519 including free shipping. We have one and love it.

Bob

Correction: 3100/2800starting/running watts. It is factory refurbished.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:20 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
The Champion 100158 is a 3400/2800 watt surge/running inverter generator. It is set up for a 30A RV service. Ours is about as quiet as any (58 dB at 25 ft) except the Honda. From Factory Pure, it is $519 including free shipping. We have one and love it.

Bob
Just to clarify, the 100158 model at $519, from Factory Pure, is a refurbished 3100/2800w version, not 3400w.
https://factorypure.com/products/cha...nufacturer-rfb

Old 10-26-2022, 04:21 PM   #32

Propane... not as efficient as gas
and more expensive

use the generator on GAS regularly and it will stay happy
neglect it ... PITA
Old 11-07-2022, 12:20 AM   #33

Here is another genny for the list of options. I just pulled the trigger on a Ryobi 2300 self starting generator--very similar to the Honda 2200i bluetooth models but half the price with at least similar if not slightly better performance characteristics--they peak out with starting amps of 19.2 and 2300 watts. Ryobi builds their own motors around a pure sine wave unit. It has bluebooth and utilizes the Ryobi 18 volt battery packs to self start which as far as I know is the first. So you can start it from inside the trailer and set the time you want it to shut off on the mobile app. It also has suit case type wheels and a extendable handle to transport. Its a bit taller (19") than the Honda and that maybe the effects of the wheels but width is the same. They have a slightly smaller engine than the Honda and run time on a tank is 2 hours longer. But they also maybe a little louder due to the smaller engine under a load. They also feature an automatic choke. I didn't see this one mentioned in the forum so thought it should be included. Pretty nifty deal--maybe a bigger sale with the holidays coming

I believe the only place you can find these is at Home Depot (exclusive) and I had to order mine on-line which was free delivery to my house. Nice thing is I had accumulated a bunch of HD ProX dollars that I cashed in on it so purchase was an easy choice. It gets good reviews. I just did all the recommended oil changes and started it up in the driveway from my living room--it just burrs!
Old 11-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #34

Ryobi 2300 Self Start Generator

I forgot to mention that the Ryobi also has a parallel kit. The engine size is 80cc vs Honda's 98.5cc but is rated at 1800 running watts vs Honda at 1600 watts. The decibel test for the Ryobi is 57 dBA vs Honda at 47 dBA.

It also does have the nice electric start feature via bluetooth and a great app. The starter appears to be a quality starter--sounds just like my Cummings generator starter on my previous trailer. But the 18 volt tool battery does not get charged by the generator so most people are using their 4 ah battery to a 9 ah battery and occasionally replacing it with a fresh one. The one that comes with the unit is a 1.5 ah battery and a small worthless charger--good thing most already have Ryobi chargers and battery packs.

I can not find any dual fuel kits to change it into propane like are available for the Honda 2200i but I suppose it just a matter of time.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:14 PM   #35
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck754 View Post
Here is another genny for the list of options. I just pulled the trigger on a Ryobi 2300 self starting generator--very similar to the Honda 2200i bluetooth models but half the price with at least similar if not slightly better performance characteristics--they peak out with starting amps of 19.2 and 2300 watts. Ryobi builds their own motors around a pure sine wave unit. It has bluebooth and utilizes the Ryobi 18 volt battery packs to self start which as far as I know is the first. So you can start it from inside the trailer and set the time you want it to shut off on the mobile app. It also has suit case type wheels and a extendable handle to transport. Its a bit taller (19") than the Honda and that maybe the effects of the wheels but width is the same. They have a slightly smaller engine than the Honda and run time on a tank is 2 hours longer. But they also maybe a little louder due to the smaller engine under a load. They also feature an automatic choke. I didn't see this one mentioned in the forum so thought it should be included. Pretty nifty deal--maybe a bigger sale with the holidays coming

I believe the only place you can find these is at Home Depot (exclusive) and I had to order mine on-line which was free delivery to my house. Nice thing is I had accumulated a bunch of HD ProX dollars that I cashed in on it so purchase was an easy choice. It gets good reviews. I just did all the recommended oil changes and started it up in the driveway from my living room--it just burrs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck754 View Post
I forgot to mention that the Ryobi also has a parallel kit. The engine size is 80cc vs Honda's 98.5cc but is rated at 1800 running watts vs Honda at 1600 watts. The decibel test for the Ryobi is 57 dBA vs Honda at 47 dBA.

It also does have the nice electric start feature via bluetooth and a great app. The starter appears to be a quality starter--sounds just like my Cummings generator starter on my previous trailer. But the 18 volt tool battery does not get charged by the generator so most people are using their 4 ah battery to a 9 ah battery and occasionally replacing it with a fresh one. The one that comes with the unit is a 1.5 ah battery and a small worthless charger--good thing most already have Ryobi chargers and battery packs.

I can not find any dual fuel kits to change it into propane like are available for the Honda 2200i but I suppose it just a matter of time.
I hope you like your Ryobi but 10 dB isn't a "little" louder it is A LOT louder.
A 10 dB increase is HUGE!

Levels of sound use a logarithmic scale and are not linear, meaning an increase of 10dB is TEN TIMES as loud!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I hope you like your Ryobi but 10 dB isn't a "little" louder it is A LOT louder.

A 10 dB increase is HUGE!

Levels of sound use a logarithmic scale and are not linear, meaning an increase of 10dB is TEN TIMES as loud!
x2![emoji33]

Tags
generator, question, questions