Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #41
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Bad advice to fill Tanks, if our tanks were filled (Ours are in the Very REAR F/W & Gray) it takes T/W off and is a (DEATH TRAP)! All tanks are NOT over the Axles! Youroo!!
I also agree, without knowing the cause of the unstable tow, adding weight may add fuel to the fire making it even more unstable. Getting blown over is not his problem, wind induced oscillations are. Adding weight in the wrong place can make the oscillations even more severe to the point off control loss.

Adding water to the tanks is good advice when in camp and high winds are forecast. There, getting blown over is the danger. You and your family will be in the concrete shelter of course! (and not the truck).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #42
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
There's no way on this big blue marble I'll ever sleep while DH is towing, and we're no longer newbs at this. Just ain't gonna happen. I just told him yesterday that I don't think I could have gotten back into RVing if I didn't have such faith in his driving and towing abilities. I've assigned my self certain duties, one of which is to constantly monitor the wheels/tires on my side of the 5er via the tow mirrors. Yeah, I'm OCD about those Trail Express still on ours. But I'm going to be checking with a certain tire guy who is a member here about pricing on a set of new shoes for Buffy; Goodyear Marathon Size D, two pairs please! in the next few days.

It'll be nice to finally feel like I don't have to hold my breath every time we're towing.

Just to be clear, folks, I DO know that "D" does not denote SIZE on tires. It was a joke to go with "new shoes for Buffy".

C,D,E; Load Range

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Stating "not to exceed" the sidewall pressure is a "quibble" because most OEM tires are placarded to be inflated to the max so as to ensure it is capable of handling the load at it's GVWR.
Well, my Ram 1500 has a door sticker that says 35 lbs, but the tire's sidewalls say 44 lbs. This is a new from dealer truck and no, I haven't replaced the tires. These are the ones that came with it.

That aside, I agree with the rest of your statements, adding too much pressure can change the wear position, by making the tire sit slightly taller, which in turn provides a greater distance on the sidewall, so a larger surface over which to flex. I doubt the increased pressure alone would compensate for that in a 'P' tire like I've got.

Back to the original question:

The best thing for OP will be to look into a second sway bar, if he doesn't have one. My dealer only provided a single sway with mine but after relying on that single sway all last year, and a few "Keep it slow in the crosswind" trips I finally had a second sway bar added last month.

Made a world of difference when I took it on the road over the Canada Day weekend. Several situations I would have normally had to recover from (such as the Big Rig Pass) barely effected me anymore. I didn't hit any crazy crosswinds like the OP, mine were only 10-15 mph or so, but still while there was a noticeable tug on the trailer, sway was never introduced.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Well, my Ram 1500 has a door sticker that says 35 lbs, but the tire's sidewalls say 44 lbs. This is a new from dealer truck and no, I haven't replaced the tires. These are the ones that came with it.

That aside, I agree with the rest of your statements, adding too much pressure can change the wear position, by making the tire sit slightly taller, which in turn provides a greater distance on the sidewall, so a larger surface over which to flex. I doubt the increased pressure alone would compensate for that in a 'P' tire like I've got.

Back to the original question:

The best thing for OP will be to look into a second sway bar, if he doesn't have one. My dealer only provided a single sway with mine but after relying on that single sway all last year, and a few "Keep it slow in the crosswind" trips I finally had a second sway bar added last month.

Made a world of difference when I took it on the road over the Canada Day weekend. Several situations I would have normally had to recover from (such as the Big Rig Pass) barely effected me anymore. I didn't hit any crazy crosswinds like the OP, mine were only 10-15 mph or so, but still while there was a noticeable tug on the trailer, sway was never introduced.
All set with the dealer. Going tomorrow and they are gonna help me out adjusting everything and adding a second sway bar. Thanks again for all the advise everyone.

2014 Freedom Express 320BHDS
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #45
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Yes, that is very true. However the discussion is about trailer tires and sway; not tow vehicle tires.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Yes, that is very true. However the discussion is about trailer tires and sway; not tow vehicle tires.
Ah, well, coming late to the game I missed that. All I saw was "the tires" which could be interpreted as Trailer or Tow Vehicle.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #47

My tanks are on both sides of axles and if your slowing down anyway the weight shouldn't hurt. What I was getting at was making the trailer bottom heavy so it would resist the wind more creating a lower center of gravity. There have been several flip here that speed wasn't a factor lack of weight was. Side gust lifted them onto their side. Once your out of the wind and wish to go faster find somewhere to dump tanks.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #48

Well, they looked at it and said we just went up one more link on wdh. You can go another link if you want. And this is how they left me. Was gonna hit the scales but my father in law is having them serviced. I know I'm not over on hitch weights with 4 fold up camp chairs a kids plastic table a few blocks in the trailer and a wooden step in bed of truck. Going above service at the dealer this afternoon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404847433619.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	57625   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404847465055.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	57626  
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #49

Looks like you could still go up one still looks like the truck is squatting. Maybe some airbags for the truck springs would help. Wish my trailer had the axles spaced like yours they have mine so close together , I think if they did it would take some bounce out of the trailer going down the road.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #50

Yeah it is still squatting and I had to use a 6x6 and 2x4 to get enough height to chain up that high. Exploring the airbag idea now. I do like the tire spacing.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #51
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonClark View Post
Yeah it is still squatting and I had to use a 6x6 and 2x4 to get enough height to chain up that high. Exploring the airbag idea now. I do like the tire spacing.

That is quite some squat with a WD hitch; no wonder you were all over the road.

Watch your front axle weight rating when you crank that WD hitch up. Remember some of that weight gets added to the camper's wheels too.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #52

I would get an Equal-i-zer 4 point or Reese Dual Cam for that giant trailer. Your current hitch may be undersized as well. Hard to tell.

I have the snow plow package on my F250 (with giant front springs) and the rear rides lower than the front empty. Put 500lbs in the bed and the TW and my truck looks like it is sagging a lot, but it is measured as 1/4 inch rise in the front and a 3/4 inch drop in the rear. Looks can be deceiving sometimes.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I would get an Equal-i-zer 4 point or Reese Dual Cam for that giant trailer. Your current hitch may be undersized as well. Hard to tell.

I have the snow plow package on my F250 (with giant front springs) and the rear rides lower than the front empty. Put 500lbs in the bed and the TW and my truck looks like it is sagging a lot, but it is measured as 1/4 inch rise in the front and a 3/4 inch drop in the rear. Looks can be deceiving sometimes.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
Yes I have the plow prep as well. 6.2L. I wonder if just a leveling kit would help on the truck. Researched and talked to Husky directly and they said there should not be a problem. Let them know if dealer doesn't help and they will get involved.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #54

lbrjet, do you think a leveling kit would be a good idea?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #55

Your truck is not your problem. I can't add any more to the discussion than I have already said.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 AM   #56

Those round bars look like a (Fresh water pole in use at the Ocean)! Your Dealer needs (Hitch Setup School)! I agree your truck is NOT the problem. Youroo!!Also I see (NO) anti sway friction bars or sway control of any type on this? Did your Dealer remove the Only (1) you had? This is a (Confusing Post)!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
From the looks of the photo, the spring bars are maxed out already. I don't think one more link will help.

I had the same situation when I picked up my 27RLWS in Des Moines and towed it home 14 hrs. I had my old Draw-Tite with 750 lb bars. With a 580 lb tongue weight empty it should have worked. The 35 mph cross wind did not help. Maximum speed 50 mph due to sway and porpoising.

My DW is an extremely nervous passenger. She was not along on the initial trip. I was seriously considering selling the new trailer.

Ordered in the Equalizer 4 pt. 1200. Other posters gave me the set up specs with their similar trucks and trailers. I still went through the measuring set up, but it was perfect first time round.

Have had a couple of pulls in real bad conditions since. Like night & day. One handed relaxed driving. I don`t care about the low speed noise. Actually it`s quieter than the Draw-Tite (Reese) was.
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #58

Yeah talking to the dealer about changing up this setup they "threw in" when I bought the trailer. The friction sway bar is on the passenger side. Tailer hauls great when it is completely empty. Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #59

Do you know what bars you are using (they provided)?
I know the dealer tried 1,000# bars on mine and that just wouldn't fly. So, I am using 1,200 bars.

The 833# dry hitch weight documented by FR was nothing like I actually have which was closer to 1,100 #'s.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Do you know what bars you are using (they provided)?
I know the dealer tried 1,000# bars on mine and that just wouldn't fly. So, I am using 1,200 bars.

The 833# dry hitch weight documented by FR was nothing like I actually have which was closer to 1,100 #'s.
Not sure but I know that everything with the hitch says 801-1200. Talked to a rep from Husky yesterday and he pretty much said it's the wrong setup and should have something like their center line. Told me when I need him he will get involved with the dealer.