Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

How important is a stove hood?

We've been considering getting a Apex Nano 193BHS and just noticed that it does not come with a stove hood and vent unlike some of it's competitors like the mini winnie 2100 BH or the Roo 19.

How important is a stove hood? Just open the window and you're fine or can condensation be an issue?

Thanks
PNWCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #2

For me a stove hood is pretty important. If one does any more than just boil water on the stove top there's a lot of vaporized oils, some from the meat and what you use to cook with, that float upward. Might not seem like much but take a look at the filter in the hood over most any stove that's been in use for a while and you'll see how much "greasy" residue builds up. If this isn't sucked in by the hood and directed outside then it eventually deposits itself on ceiling, walls, wood work, etc. A hood may not prevent all of this but it will cut it down considerably.

That's just me take on how important a hood is.

I love the fact I have an outside kitchen for this reason. Anything that gets fried or saute'd gets done outside.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's a must for me. If I don't use it, the toaster sets off the smoke alarm, which in turn sets off the dogs and kids.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

I agree 100% with Mike. The trailer is a fairly small enclosed space and without a range hood you will have grease and crud running down the walls and on the ceiling in no time.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

Very important. I have one but the stupid thing blows back in your face. Cutting a hole in the side and venting a new one this summer. Removes cooking smells that won't end up in the master bed. Humidity. helps to cool. I could go on and on.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
Canadian Member

If you do most of your cooking outside you could easily live without it. If you fry anything on the stovetop, or generate anything other than steam while cooking, it's necessary. Incidentally, our electric toaster doesn't cause any problems without the stove hood on.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #7

Follow up question then: how hard is it to install a range hood? Looks like Amazon sells 12v Hengs range covers and matching exterior vent covers, but the prospect of cutting into the exterior wall seems scary. On aluminum construction how do you even know where the studs are?
PNWCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:04 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

If you install a hood, you don't want to hit a stud, you want to go in between the studs. I would investigate first before buying one without to determine stud location. Best bet is to get one with a hood if the stud location is bad.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:12 AM   #9

It's needed. I already set off the smoke alarm and nothing was burning. Just some Canadian bacon in the pan.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 AM   #10

A range hood that vents to the outside of the camper is a great thing. A range hood like I have, that doesn’t have an exhaust duct to the outside and only has a “filter” to capture any smoke and smells, is useless. This is just about the only complaint I have with my Windjammer. What were they thinking when they decided to go this route?

Bruce
Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWCamper7 View Post
Follow up question then: how hard is it to install a range hood? Looks like Amazon sells 12v Hengs range covers and matching exterior vent covers, but the prospect of cutting into the exterior wall seems scary. On aluminum construction how do you even know where the studs are?
Don't let the studs bother you. Like outside the box. You have to put the hole in only one place. Right in the middle of the hood. If you encounter a stud that is wood, you cover it in foil AC duct tape or thin metal or aluminum. Block off the surrounding cavity. Aluminum studs cant burn so what's the problem? If you have a fire that gets to that stud, that trailer is toast anyway. Cutting a hole is easy with a cut off wheel. Don't just run in there with a sawsall. If you find wire it's easy. A couple of j-boxes in the top and bottom of the cabinets and 2' of wire and your good to go. If your not mechanically inclined get a professional to do it. I'll be doing mine this summer.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
A range hood that vents to the outside of the camper is a great thing. A range hood like I have, that doesn’t have an exhaust duct to the outside and only has a “filter” to capture any smoke and smells, is useless. This is just about the only complaint I have with my Windjammer. What were they thinking when they decided to go this route?

Bruce
$$$$$$$ an even better one is a recirculating bath fart fan! figure that one out.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
$$$$$$$ an even better one is a recirculating bath fart fan! figure that one out.
I’ve never heard of these. What is the concept of how they are supposed to work?

Bruce
Old 06-14-2018, 04:38 AM   #14

Quote:
I’ve never heard of these. What is the concept of how they are supposed to work?

Bruce
they don't anymore that the range hood does. Fart. run it thru a filter material of some sort and blow if back down and what do you have? A fart on the other end. I have no idea how that thing is supposed to remove all the humidity caused by a hot shower or where all the steam is supposed to go.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:48 AM   #15
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
It's a must for me. If I don't use it, the toaster sets off the smoke alarm, which in turn sets off the dogs and kids.

Yep - pretty embarrassing to have the smoke detector go off when you're camped with neighbors "spitting distance" away from you.

It's a must for me.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #16

Quote:
I doubt the inner walls are aluminum. A stud finder should find the studs from the inside.

The old fashioned "tapping" method usually works. Wall over a stud will sound solid, over a void it sounds hollow.

Many hoods have vent holes that can be adjusted to allow for obstacles.
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #17

Absolutely must have. Small campers collect humidity big time. Breathing, heating water in a tea kettle, cooking anything will all add to the problem. Not to mention all the odor and grease from frying anything. It can set off smoke alarms pretty fast in that enclosed space. If it's raining and you are stuck inside with kids, dogs and such it can be very damp! Don't even think about going without, you will regret it down the road.
BUCKY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #18

Quote:

Bruce
Saving a few bucks.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #19

I agree on almost every post above. You thing to be aware of is burning propane for cooking or heating, you need a window open, a vent open, or a roof fan. Whenever we use the burners or stove, we always use the hood vent.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
We've been considering getting a Apex Nano 193BHS and just noticed that it does not come with a stove hood and vent unlike some of it's competitors like the mini winnie 2100 BH or the Roo 19.

How important is a stove hood? Just open the window and you're fine or can condensation be an issue?

Thanks
Our rig came with a hood with light and fan as well as a heat-proof glass top for the cooktop. Just like at home, couldn't do without them.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote