Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #21

Glsimms, we feel your pain! We no longer 'shop' at dealers. We do all our shopping online. When we find an interesting model we will drive to the closest dealer or rally and check that one unit out if possible. When we find 'the one', we then shop for the best price anywhere. We will either put a holding deposit on it or buy it (if we feel good about it) and then go pick it up. We drove 1500 miles round-trip for our current rig. Good luck!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaski View Post
Most of the components have at least a two year warranty to begin with look at all the paper work they give you and register the items .
This is more than a 2 year warranty though - it is roadside service as well (plus, if you have ever had to deal directly with a component MFR you will appreciate being able to go to a single point to process repairs). Also, warranty usually does not cover troubleshooting, repair and replacement labor charges. $150 for a pull behind is money well spent IMHO - YMMV.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
UPDATE: Now there is a local Coachmen dealer near me that sells Apex units. So I call them and see if they have this model or if maybe they will be getting one. The dealer says "No they don't have it". He says if I want to, I can order one, but they won't get one for me just to look at. Talk about customer no-service, so much for wanting to buy from your local dealer.....

I had every intention of buying a trailer yesterday and came home with nothing! So I think we will just wait for the RV shows and see what's available. End of rant.....
Did you expect the local dealer to order something he does not want in inventory for you to look at? Let us know if you find ANY dealer hard up enough to do that please.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Did you expect the local dealer to order something he does not want in inventory for you to look at?
Yes once I have expressed a strong interest in it

BTW, for the record, I didn't ask the dealer to get one so I could just simply "look at it". I called to see if they might have one coming in. His reply was no but if I wanted to see one I could order it. I told them I wasn't about to order one without seeing it first. I don't know of many customers that would buy something sight unseen, do you?

Oh and since you asked, the dealer was Colerain RV in Indy. They had calls for this floorplan and brought one in.
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #25

GLSIMMS - I have the same kitchen slide setup in my Apex 259BHSS. The faucet hose you saw dangling underneath the kitchen island is no big deal. The sink faucet has a pull-out head, with a weighted length of hose underneath for slack. If you remember, the island is undercut underneath the faucet to enable the dinette table clearance when the slide is in. If you look underneath this indentation, you can see the underside of the faucet. Sometimes, the hose weight gets displaced and hangs down into that opening. I just push it back under the sink portion.
I can't address your other concerns. We've had our Apex for one year and have been happy with it - no serious issues so far. Well, other than the heat duct to the front bedroom is too small to provide adequate heat. This is because the furnace is in the very back and, because of the opposing slides, the duct has to run under-floor around the holding tanks. I've seen this problem in many other different trailers.

Ken
Old 11-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Yes once I have expressed a strong interest in it

BTW, for the record, I didn't ask the dealer to get one so I could just simply "look at it". I called to see if they might have one coming in. His reply was no but if I wanted to see one I could order it. I told them I wasn't about to order one without seeing it first. I don't know of many customers that would buy something sight unseen, do you?

Oh and since you asked, the dealer was Colerain RV in Indy. They had calls for this floorplan and brought one in.
To answer your question -- as a real estate broker on the Carolina coast I have sold several homes, townhouses, and condos sight unseen.
Glad your dealer is ordering one now that he has several interested as he now has a better chance of selling it and possibly get an order as well.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #27

Thanks guys for the comments. The DW and I are pretty certain this is the trailer we want. But since we are heading in to the off camping season, we may be waiting 'til spring to do some serious wheelin' & dealin'!
Old 11-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #28

Apex 250RLS owner here.We love ours. Making our purchase in May of this year and found it to be well built. Been camping every month since the purchase. But I commend my dealership for their knowledgeable well known experience in selling the Apex models. Country Roads Rv Center of Winston Salem, N.C. Where life is a little slower and prices are lower. Anyway good luck with your decision on the purchase.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #29

Don't know if I would wait till spring to be wheel'n and deal'n as they won't be as hungry to keep the lights on as they would be in the dead of winter.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #30

Just curious, but has anyone special ordered a Coachmen TT? If so, how long does it take to get it?
Old 11-25-2016, 01:07 AM   #31

We special ordered a 2017 last summer and got in 4 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins 4x4
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Don't know if I would wait till spring to be wheel'n and deal'n as they won't be as hungry to keep the lights on as they would be in the dead of winter.
X2. I'm thinking the next few weeks would be the best wheel'n -n- deal'n time.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhodj View Post
We special ordered a 2017 last summer and got in 4 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thanks, good to know.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
X2. I'm thinking the next few weeks would be the best wheel'n -n- deal'n time.
Looks like we may be ordering one to get the things we want. Wonder how much wheelin' & dealin' they'll do on special orders?
Old 11-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks, good to know.....

Looks like we may be ordering one to get the things we want. Wonder how much wheelin' & dealin' they'll do on special orders?
Not as much as one sitting on their lot already. I'd be searching the internet for one with your options.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Not as much as one sitting on their lot already. I'd be searching the internet for one with your options.
Thanks, I've already looked. I did find a couple, but 1 was like 500 miles away and the others were out west, like 1300 miles or so. So much for buying local, huh?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Thanks, I've already looked. I did find a couple, but 1 was like 500 miles away and the others were out west, like 1300 miles or so. So much for buying local, huh?
I hear ya! We traveled 750 miles one way to pick up our last rig, and to save a boatload of $$$$. But we got the exact model/options we wanted and have never regretted it. We have bought the last 3 rigs that way, doing the whole deal over the phone/internet (with lots of pictures). Even handled the trade in that way. Good luck!!!
Old 11-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #37

Quote:
I hear ya! We traveled 750 miles one way to pick up our last rig, and to save a boatload of $$$$. But we got the exact model/options we wanted and have never regretted it. We have bought the last 3 rigs that way, doing the whole deal over the phone/internet (with lots of pictures). Even handled the trade in that way. Good luck!!!
It would have to be one heck of a deal for me to travel that far. Besides, I'd prefer to buy local if at all possible. I don't want to be told to "get in the back of the bus" so to speak if I ever needed service. Just my 2 pennies.....
Old 11-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #38

Quote:
It would have to be one heck of a deal for me to travel that far. Besides, I'd prefer to buy local if at all possible. I don't want to be told to "get in the back of the bus" so to speak if I ever needed service. Just my 2 pennies.....
I hear that service myth a lot about not buying local. We have never had a problem getting timely warranty work done anywhere. And we wouldn't travel that far if it wasn't worth it either. We usually save at least 10k, but this last time it was considerably more. Nothing wrong with buying local, but it hasn't worked for us. The locals always have to order the unit we want and they just don't seem to deal on those.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #39

Quote:
I hear that service myth a lot about not buying local. We have never had a problem getting timely warranty work done anywhere. And we wouldn't travel that far if it wasn't worth it either. We usually save at least 10k, but this last time it was considerably more. Nothing wrong with buying local, but it hasn't worked for us. The locals always have to order the unit we want and they just don't seem to deal on those.
You may be one of the lucky ones. I've heard stories to the contrary....

Now having said that, I purchased my current rig in Cincy, Ohio. It's about a 3 hour drive one way from where I live. Fortunately, I never had to use the manufacturers' warranty. So the warranty issue may be a moot point.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #40

UPDATE:

Well you all have heard the saying, "Good things come to those who wait?"

On a whim, I called our local Coachmen dealer yesterday to see if whoever in their company that orders stock for them would consider getting an Apex 269RBKS in with the possibility of a sale. The salesman we've been working with said he would check and get back to me. To my surprise, he calls back 15 minutes later and informs me that it so happens they have that very same model with all of the options we were wanting!! He says they should have it in the next day. An hour goes by and he calls and says I must be living right because it just rolled in their lot!

This morning the DW and I go and look at it and it was a done deal! They had it all set up and cleaned and ready to go. We worked out the trade-in details of my current rig and came to an agreement on price and it looks like I'll be getting it on Monday! Talk about being at the right place at the right time!!

Needless to say Christmas came early......