Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 PM   #1

Info about adding storage to bumper

We purchased the 2014 310BHDS freedom express maple leaf editions last year. Anyone know what kind of weight rating these units have for adding a rear hitch mount for a bike rack or small storage bin? I've read a few posts suggesting that some units have very little if any ability to safely put weight on the rear bumpers. Haven't seen anything on this type of unit (still looking), open to suggestions.
Roganravenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #2

There's a sticker on our 310BHDS bumper that states any attachment will void your frame warranty. I'm assuming they've had issues with people overloading it and it bending something underneath. Theres no official word on how much weight is "safe" other than zero.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #3
Just a member

X2 - if it didn't come with a hitch receiver, there may be restrictions by the manufacturer for adding same.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

Not sure if the apex has the same frame, but id feel comfortable strapping my porch mat to it! They put that little blue sticker on it nice and crooked....
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

I have had two freedom express trailers and mounted bike racks on the bumper. Even with two light bikes the bumper would twist and the end caps would fall off of bumper. You should look into a bike rack for the A-frame. ARVIKA makes a nice one.
http://www.arvika.ca/index.php/us/tr...ler/7000-serie
bgigacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

As with the others, I have the sticker stating anything on the bumper will void your warranty. So lacking any other means for taking the bikes I had a front receiver welded in. Works like a charm.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150729_134002.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	84493  

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

I too would be careful.
I wanted to do the same thing as the OP. Figured I would do the right thing and talk to the dealer for advice as I heard the same warnings. Talked with the gentleman at the service desk and he showed me some nice racks I could use, I specifically tell him my concerns as I don't want to void warranty, he says it's no problem at all tons of people do it. I'm still leary but start to look at some of the options. Then a person from the dealership that I've worked with before comes over and asks me the normal how are you questions and what are we doing for you today. So I explain to him what I'm looking at, he drops his glasses looking down the brim of his nose and states he won't even do that work in his shop and cites the same reason that I had worried about. So I nod at his co-worker and leave it at that, the look on his co-workers face was enough to tell me he learned his lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm glad I asked. Given the 6 years remaining on warranty, I don't want to void that, or wreck the frame.
I like the idea of the a-frame mount. I think I seen one of those in the Atlas book at work, might be able to get one @ a good price. Not sure my wife would appreciate me welding anything to the front of her bumper.
Roganravenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #9

Post #22 and 38 in this link
Bike Racks

Tags
storage