Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:10 PM   #1

Is a Water Filter Really Necessary?

I'm not sure why a water filter is necessary. When getting potable water the source would most likely be municipal water which by law is safe. Even in area where the RV park may be from a well the source still has to be safe to drink by law. So why is a filter a good idea?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:21 PM   #2

I'm breaking out the popcorn.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 08-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #3
Site Team

In Today's world of finicky water drinkers, I'll bet the overwhelming answer will be Yes.
Many will still drink bottled water, even when they have a water filter.
As a former backpacker, I'm used to drinking water with iodine tablets dissolved in it. So I ain't finicky.[emoji850]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 08-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
I'm not sure why a water filter is necessary. When getting pottable water the source would most likely be municipal water which by law is safe. Even in area where the RV park may be from a well the source still has to be safe to drink by law. So why is a filter a good idea?

Since many/most campgrounds are located in what could be considered rural/country areas, unless its a "down town" cg, ... I would think more are on a well system than not, ... our favorite cg is a Fed. park, with it's own well system, ... it has electrical only at the sites, but has a dump site and also a potable water faucet with a hose to fill the arriving campers fresh tanks, ... it also has about 6-8 roadside faucets around the park, so campers can add more water if necessary, but with these you must use buckets, ... the first time we needed to add to the fresh tank, using our clean white 5 gal. buckets to do so, we saw partials in the bottom of the buckets, ... was either rust from the metal piping or sand from the well, which we would not have seen with a colored bucket, ... thinking the stuff would stop after running the water for a while, it didn't, ... since it would settle to the bottom, we had to settle with stopping short of "bottoms up" when pouring into our fresh tank, ... but since then, I attach our blue Camco filter onto the hose at the potable water station when initially filling the tank when we first get to the cg, ...

you may get reports of, "been camping for 140 yrs., never used a filter, and never had a problem", ... and I suppose that's completely possible, cause rust or sand shouldn't kill you, but that's our experience and why we use a filter, ...

Old 08-02-2019, 12:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Since many/most campgrounds are located in what could be considered rural/country areas, unless its a "down town" cg, ... I would think more are on a well system than not, ... our favorite cg is a Fed. park, with it's own well system, ... it has electrical only at the sites, but has a dump site and also a potable water faucet with a hose to fill the arriving campers fresh tanks, ... it also has about 6-8 water faucets beside the roadway around the park, so campers can add more water if necessary, but these do not have hoses and you can't attach a hose to them, must use buckets, ... the first time we needed to add to the fresh tank, using our clean white 5 gal. buckets to do so, we saw partials in the bottom of the buckets, ... was either rust from the metal piping or sand from the well, which we would not have seen with a colored bucket, ... thinking the stuff would stop after running the water for a while, it didn't, ... since it would settle to the bottom, we had to settle with stopping short of "bottoms up" when pouring into our fresh tank, ... but since then, I attach our blue Camco filter onto the hose at the potable water station when initially filling the tank when we first get to the cg, ...

you may get reports of, "been camping for 140 yrs., never used a filter of any sort, and never had a problem at all", ... and I suppose that's completely possible, cause rust or sand shouldn't kill you, but that's our experience and why we use a filter, even to fill the fresh tank, ...
But that situation was unusual and even if did ended up in your holding tank the sediment filter on the pump woul catch it. Consider that if you stay in a motel in a rual area the water could be from a well and you don't filter the water. People aren't becoming sick from using motel water.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:46 AM   #6

Quote:
But that situation was unusual and even if did ended up in your holding tank the sediment filter on the pump woul catch it. Consider that if you stay in a motel in a rual area the water could be from a well and you don't filter the water. People aren't becoming sick from using motel water.

If I DON'T see it, it may or may not be in the water, ... but when I DO see it and know it's there, and do nothing, I'm choosing to ignore it, ... knowing that that cg system has "stuff" in the water system, I choose not to ignore it, so I choose to use a filter, ... I certainly don't have to, but I choose to, ... to each his own, ...

Old 08-02-2019, 02:01 AM   #7

Here's an interesting video to watch about drinking water and RV's.

I drink ice tea made at home that I take a couple gallon jugs with me and if I need more, I use a gallon of bottled water. Coffee the same way. That and brown pops and some juice keeps me hydrated just fine.

Campground water is for showers and dishwashing and I hesitate with the dishwashing if there is any odor at all, usually a sign of bacteria, sulfur or something that I don't want.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post

Here's an interesting video to watch about drinking water and RV's.

I drink ice tea made at home that I take a couple gallon jugs with me and if I need more, I use a gallon of bottled water. Coffee the same way. That and brown pops and some juice keeps me hydrated just fine.

Campground water is for showers and dishwashing and I hesitate with the dishwashing if there is any odor at all, usually a sign of bacteria, sulfur or something that I don't want.
I saw that video as well and it's what got me thinking. I buy the filter that goes on the hose and think I may just be wasting my money. They really never mention that the water from an RV park has to be safe by law. Most RV parks get there water from a municipal water source so there isn't going to be bacteria in treated municipal water systems. If your in a National Park and drinking well water it still has to be treated and safe by law. There are water fountains, rest rooms in the park that the general public uses and when was the last time you heard of people getting sick from drinking the water. I have a clear collapsible water tote that I use that I have used when our fresh water has run out and after hauling water in it I've never seen any sand or rust particles in the tote. Just got me thinking that I'm wasting my money on inline water filters.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:12 AM   #9

This is one of those "Personal Preference" type situations. Personally...we've never had a water filter...internal or external since 1984. I also drank out of a hose at a young age.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:42 AM   #10

I starting to think that people just don't trust the municipal water system or the park to properly treat their water. I guess it's possible that a park could lapse on treating the water but I would think you would have heard something about people getting sick at a park.

I think that I will buy an inline filter and only use it when I smell odour from the water source. There are some areas out west that I have come across that have a sulfur smell and an inline charcoal filter should help but if the water smells and tastes fine I think I'm going filterless.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I starting to think that people just don't trust the municipal water system or the park to properly treat their water. I guess it's possible that a park could lapse on treating the water but I would think you would have heard of something about people getting sick at a park.
Unfortunately most commonly used RV water filters will do little to help against improperly treated water. The use of a water filter is probably somewhat dependent on where you live. If your residence is supplied by a well you might be used to some sand occasionally and might even still drink from a garden hose. In the grand scheme of things if you drink water from your RV water system much of the time you are still drinking from a hose.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 08-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Unfortunately most commonly used RV water filters will do little to help against improperly treated water. The use of a water filter is probably somewhat dependent on where you live. If your residence is supplied by a well you might be used to some sand occasionally and might even still drink from a garden hose. In the grand scheme of things if you drink water from your RV water system much of the time you are still drinking from a hose.
X2
Typical inline filters do little for anything other than sediment/odor. They do not sanitize water.

With that said, I have always used a good inline filter at the supply end to filter any water going into my R/V whether it be while filling the fresh tank or during city water hook-ups.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 08-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2
Typical inline filters do little for anything other than sediment/odor. They do not sanitize water.

With that said, I have always used a good inline filter at the supply end to filter any water going into my R/V whether it be while filling the fresh tank or during city water hook-ups.
So why even bother?

My residence is in a rural area and we have a 495' drilled well and I use a charcoal filter system. The filters are there just to prevent sand and minerals from getting through and it removes the iron smell from the water. The water is bacteria free.

I really can't imagine that municipal and well systems are contaminated with bacteria and feel the water is safe. By law they have to be. I would just use a inline charcoal filter in those cases to remove odour and taste issues.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #14
Site Team

We use a couple of whole-house filters with different cartridges in them. One of them is white when I put it in and usually comes out a rust-colored brown when I replace it.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #15

Dont use one for purifying or sanitizing the water...Dont think it will do it.
Do use it to filter out sand/grit that i have seen in lots of well water. Have filled fresh tank w/out filtering on occasion however.

Dont generall drink water that comes thru TT.... other than Coffee/Tea... which is boiled.

Personal pref. If it makes you feel good....!
Old 08-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #16

just like anything, it all comes down to whether you want a filter or not.... no big deal either way - you're the one using the water, do as you feel comfortable - there's no law requiring one or the other, no matter how many weigh in on it. : )
Old 08-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #17

The municipal water that reaches the campground isn't the issue. It is the infrastructure inside the campground that may be. At campgrounds that have been in a location for 50+ years, which many have, you don't know the age and quality of the pipes that get the clean municipal water to each campsite. I have seen locations hooked to municipal water that by the time it comes out of the tap it has a slightly yellow rusty look.

As people say about the electric at camp sites, you don't know the quality of the lines and what voltage you are going to get so we use a surge protector. I look at the water hookup the same way.

I'm not a bottled water drinker, I just figure in these instances might as well use a filter.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
The municipal water that reaches the campground isn't the issue. It is the infrastructure inside the campground that may be. At campgrounds that have been in a location for 50+ years, which many have, you don't know the age and quality of the pipes that get the clean municipal water to each campsite. I have seen locations hooked to municipal water that by the time it comes out of the tap it has a slightly yellow rusty look.

As people say about the electric at camp sites, you don't know the quality of the lines and what voltage you are going to get so we use a surge protector. I look at the water hookup the same way.

I'm not a bottled water drinker, I just figure in these instances might as well use a filter.

I can see that. Run the water and if its discoloured use a filter but if its clear your good to go.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post

I guess anybody with a house that's 50+ years old better sell.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 08-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I guess anybody with a house that's 50+ years old better sell.
Our house was built in '56. We didn't sell, but we did have to replace tons of corroded and plugged galvanized pipes with copper......
Closed Thread

Tags
water, water filter