Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
But what are you protecting against? That chances of you getting sick drinking treated water in the US and Canda are so astronomically small it shouldn't be a concern. If by some reason you happen to be a very unlucky RVer and connect to a source of water that contained bacteria the Camco inline filter isn't going to filter out bacteria. From my understanding a UV light is the proper way to kill bacteria.

We shouldn't just be doing what we think is right based on fear alone.
All the water is not treated though, some is well water. Here in Louisiana our state parks often have well water.

And the Camco 40045 (which is what we use) DOES filter out bacteria:
https://www.smartrving.net/best-rv-water-filters/

I just see the $20 a small expense............to each his own.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #62

As is said to each their own. I would rather not waste $20 as they do littler good for us.

As far as to draining the water system we do it like most, annually.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 08-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
All the water is not treated though, some is well water. Here in Louisiana our state parks often have well water.
If its served to the public as potable water, by law it has to be tested and safe. If you don't trust the water in the State park I suggest you call them and ask them about their water treatment and testing. I think you would feel at ease.

Like I said before, doing something because of fear and speculation isn't the proper way. If you told me that you had a sample of the water tested and found it contaminated I'm all ears.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #64

Quote:
Just curious but why do you filter your city water?

I used to have a very expensive filter which took out everything. You changed it once a year. Out water was "potable", but taste terrible. At filter change time you could see a definite change in color of the filter. Then just with my nose, I could identify trace amounts of chloroform and methylene chloride. Most likely acceptable levels for consumption, but not for me. In addition, without the filter all kinds of crud would collect behind the screens in the faucet end. With the filter, (now use Culligan), the water tastes fine and is purer than that delivered by the public water system.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I used to have a very expensive filter which took out everything. You changed it once a year. Out water was "potable", but taste terrible. At filter change time you could see a definite change in color of the filter. Then just with my nose, I could identify trace amounts of chloroform and methylene chloride. Most likely acceptable levels for consumption, but not for me. In addition, without the filter all kinds of crud would collect behind the screens in the faucet end. With the filter, (now use Culligan), the water tastes fine and is purer than that delivered by the public water system.
Your water was never tested unsafe and it would be fine to drink but I understand the reason to add a filter system. I live in a rural area and have a drilled well. The water tested fine and safe to drink but I use filters to remove sediment and odour. Such a system in an RV is not practical or not necessarily required. If I run the hose from a labelled potable source and it smells and tastes fine I wouldn't bother with a filter. If I notice a chlorine taste, sulfur smell or sediment I'll screw on a filter.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #66

Everyone has their comfort level. Filters are cheap and I like consistency, so I set up the same regardless of conditions. Just easier for me.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Everyone has their comfort level. Filters are cheap and I like consistency, so I set up the same regardless of conditions. Just easier for me.
Agree!
Old 08-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #68
Just as confused as you

I just spent 4 days at Banff, Alberta. We went out on the Columbia Icefield and filled 2 thermos bottles with the glacial runoff at the base of the icefield where it met the glacier. The water was ice cold, crystal clear, odorless, and tasted like the water at home which comes through a water softener and reverse osmosis system. It tasted delicious.

Many people seem to think that chlorine odor is natural, It is not, it is from the introduction of chlorine gas, sodium hypochlorite, or calcium hypochlorite for water treatment by the city/municipal. Sulfur odor/taste is natural from dissolved sulfur compounds in the water source or table. Granted, the longer sulfur water sits the odor/taste becomes stronger. In clear water, dissolved iron will not have an discernible odor or taste. Only when the water is close to showing a visible sign of iron, orange or red color tint does the iron content have an effect on odor or taste. Iron in your water supply will have an effect on the sudsing ability of soaps and detergents long before having a noticeable odor or taste. I bathed and drank "hard" water from earliest recollection in my childhood until mid teens. We never heard of a water softener, nobody had a water filter and weather permitting, we drank from a plain old garden hose laying in the sun.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 08-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #69

Quote:
Us too, our setup from the campground faucet is:
Pressure regulator
Camco Filter
Hose
Camper

It never changes regardless of where we go
Old 08-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #70

Fracking !! FLINT, MI

All well said, it is the law that requires municipalities, to make sure the water is potable,,,, but that was before , using fracking, as a way to drain the earth of it's resources. Flint ,MI has been killing their citizens for years, with polluted drinking water.... Along with other states that allow, fracking. I trust our water supply here as it comes from the Sierras. But less than 20 miles from here they draw their water from the bay.... Which has several factories along the shores in the delta, no thank you! If you believe every thing your told, that it is clean and safe. Then by all means go ahead and drink the kool-aid !
Old 08-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #71

I dont use one.
I bring bottled water for coffee ect.
I only do dishes and brush teeth with campground water
Old 08-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #72

I have filtered water just for drinking and everybody else can do what they believe, but piece of mind. The water tastes grate no mater were we are camping.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORKLIFMAN View Post
All well said, it is the law that requires municipalities, to make sure the water is potable,,,, but that was before , using fracking, as a way to drain the earth of it's resources. Flint ,MI has been killing their citizens for years, with polluted drinking water.... Along with other states that allow, fracking. I trust our water supply here as it comes from the Sierras. But less than 20 miles from here they draw their water from the bay.... Which has several factories along the shores in the delta, no thank you! If you believe every thing your told, that it is clean and safe. Then by all means go ahead and drink the kool-aid !
Uhhhh.....an emphatic NO....

Google “How the Flint River got so toxic”
Very interesting and enlightening read.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #74

Based on OP's question I have to say maybe not necessary but definitely preferred .... Camping for me and my Wife is more than just getting away ... the process is great therapy and well just fun .... prepping, loading, the drive, loading the dogs, seeing there excitement, shopping Amazon for the next item on the camping list, upgrading, adding what you need and taking off what you do not, buying the wrong 5th wheel and selling it and buying another one, seeing a campground for first time, dealing with broke stuff, camping with family, planning meals, which regulator water filter TPMS, tire pressure, tear down, clean up, program GPS and so much more, yes I find it all great therapy and fun. Even deciding to use a water filter. And yes reading the Forum
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 08-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #75

So the consensus is that the US water system is unsafe and shouldn't be trusted? I'm from Canada and it's something most wouldn't even consider. What do you do when your away from home and staying at a hotel. How do you avoid drinking the water? When you go to a restaurant do you avoid having a glass of water?
Old 08-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #76

I lived in a place where everything to do with the water system from the municipality was performed really well, except for one thing. The water tested too high with dead organisms, bacteria whatever! They are also considered a carcinogen! All that happened was that the system had not been FLUSHED out of the hydrants. We all got letters from the health dept on this! So again each to his own way, but be aware of the possible problems in the different places we travel to!
Old 08-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #77

Quote:
So why even bother?
and feel the water is safe. By law they have to be. I would just use a inline charcoal filter in those cases to remove odour and taste issues.

"by law",.... Flint Michigan
Old 08-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #78
Brake is on left

Necessary....no. We do though. Reason being is that it protects our system from sediment and rust particulate plus, if it is a well water system, hard water stains and build up on the water heater. I still drink from the hose at home bit I am more concerned about protecting the devices in my RV than any critters or dirt in the water.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer44 View Post
I lived in a place where everything to do with the water system from the municipality was performed really well, except for one thing. The water tested too high with dead organisms, bacteria whatever! They are also considered a carcinogen! All that happened was that the system had not been FLUSHED out of the hydrants. We all got letters from the health dept on this! So again each to his own way, but be aware of the possible problems in the different places we travel to!
So how do you protect yourself when you travel abroad and are not in the RV? Motels and restaurants dont filter their water.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #80
Canadian Member

For those that have complete faith in “city water”, look up what happen in Walkerton, ON.

I work for a municipality that produces “city water” for over 500,000 people. I’ve been involved in the construction of water mains and re-coating the inside of those large water reservoir tanks. After all the regulations put in place here in Ontario after the tragedy in Walkerton, I do trust that the workers at our treatment plants and maintaining our water mains are vigilant and that our water is safe, but I still use a Brita filter for taste.

Although I trust the water at our Provincial Parks, I still use a high quality 0.5 micron filter that doesn’t noticeably reduce flow. We rarely stay at a private campground other than a KOA. We don’t full time so our high quality filter lasts us a full season. It’s cheap insurance for the health of my family.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Closed Thread

Tags
water, water filter