Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #1

just a few suggestions

Our 2021 333RETSLE Catalina Legacy would be alot user friendly if the Control panel for the lights, glides etc. was installed on the wall straight across from the entry door where the AC control is. You have to go down the hall toward the bedroom to turn on the lights and etc. Being a camper owner for the last 21 years this is the first trailer out of 4 where I had to enter the trailer and could not turn on lights. Its only about 3 steps past entry door to the right to the light panel but it is a inconvenience trying to find the panel and which switch you want in the dark. need to switch the A/C panel and light panel or put them both on the same wall straight across from the entry door.
In our bathroom the toilet sits against the wall, it would make it so much easier to use if it was turned slightly toward the center of the room, now sitting on the toilet the toilet paper roll is almost in your lap, if a person weighed 165 or more I am not sure they would be able to use the toilet because your left side is up against the wall.
Trailer needs a battery cut off switch so the stereo system and LP detector does not run the battery down between trips out and it would be nice if the battery rack was mounted on top of the tongue for use of larger capacity batteries.
Has anyone else experienced any of these issues?
vietvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:00 AM   #2

Sometimes things don't surface until we have had a rig for some time. It sounds like these things like the toilet are fixable by the DIY camper give that some thought.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #3

Your comments get me fired up about RV design. It’s apparent that often the people that design and lay out RVs do not have any experience using them.

We read so many stories here of RV owners that have no convenient switches for lights, or switches on the ceiling lights that they can’t reach. On the ISATA 4 we saw the shower door opens right behind the toilet, where the shower could have been designed to open on the other side, clear of the toilet.

We have seen huge undersink kitchen cabinets with no shelves inside, and whole kitchens that have only one single drawer provided. Where would we put our stuff? Do cabinet designers even visualize how these kitchens would be used?

Our motorhome has an entry stairwell motion sensor light. Nice idea for when you enter at night. Trouble is, it detects motion when you are in the driver’s seat driving, so the light is flashing on and off all day while we are traveling. So I had to redesign the panel to add a switch for the motion light.

The best thing is to use past experience to recognize layout problems when shopping, and either plan to do modifications or pass on poorly designed units.