Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #1

Just ordered APEX 253RLS Ultra Lite

Well I pulled the trigger today on one. Are there anythings I should be on the look out for when I pick it up in a couple month's? Any common problems? Not my first trailer so I'am versed in common check points but things you ordinarily wouldn't look for. Thanks for the pointers in advance.
Boborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #2

Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your new trailer!!

We have an Apex 269RBKS. When we picked our trailer up from the dealer, I was really pleased with the way the PDI went, very thorough. However after our first trip, we had a strong rain storm. I noticed the carpet in front of the sofa was sopping wet. Since it was still under warranty, we took it back to the dealer and they found that the window seal behind the sofa, had a leak. Dealership replaced it and all has been good. But, this is something that you don't see until you use the RV. So be alert and have fun.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
Well I pulled the trigger today on one. Are there anythings I should be on the look out for when I pick it up in a couple month's? Any common problems? Not my first trailer so I'am versed in common check points but things you ordinarily wouldn't look for. Thanks for the pointers in advance.
I have a 2015 Apex 279RLSS. My dealer, Adventure RV, Greer, SC did a great job of PDI and setting up the WDH on my Yukon Denali. I took her home in the driveway and hooked up city water and found a leak at the outside shower connections. Took it back the next day and they repaired while I waited. Got a new Sierra pick up so took it back to get the WDH set up again and found a seal strip under the slide out pulling away. They did it all while I waited...1 hour. Since then, including a cross country trip within the warranty period, I take care of all minor issues which have been very few. If you have any issues with first use, the responsiveness of your dealer will be the the key to your satisfaction.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #4

Got another question on this. Since it will be 4 months since I ordered to completion at the factory cause of circumstances we all are well aware of. They said they will "Hot Ship" the unit. What does that actually mean or en-tale. Is it just a fancy way of saying priority shipping or do they forgo some of the inspection type processes to get it out the door quicker?
Boborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
New here, old elsewhere

I just purchased one off the lot in Lake Park Georgia. I chose the manufacture because of their construction materials and methods compared to others. I'd like to hear what you've found since receiving yours if you're still around! I'll post my current feelings about mine since there are very few 253RLS specific threads.

Good - framing and main construction. Quality appliances and electronics. Cabinet doors are real wood, (backing of course is not), good axles and brakes, pulls great. LED lights.

Poor - Exterior caulking is sloppy / goopy (pet peeve)
Drawer bottoms are basically cardboard (plan to add support myself)

That's all I have for now, we'll see what comes up once we make our first real camping trip.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #6

I got mine in July so I had half a season with it. Massive delays on delivery. Had a few minor things in PDI which I chose to have done after picking up since it was so late in the season & had already missed trips. Then the dealer showed their true colors and basically did NOTHING that was promised, they did give me half the parts. Long story there. Besides 4 plumbing leaks things have been good. Had water connections leak's in the bathroom. Toilet (2 places)and
both faucet connections, the PEX connections were done poorly, I now carry supplies and a crimper with me, seems to be a popular problem in all Trailer's now a days. Besides that it has been great. I went with this trailer for layout, weight and the Azdel/aluminum construction. I added a better mattress, the gateway to go with the Wingard 360 antenna, an outlet over the kitchen counter, plus I have a portable Satellite dish. It pulls great. Any questions or if you would like to bounce ideas off of each other get in touch. This season I will of course be doing more mods and really making it mine.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
I got mine in July so I had half a season with it. Massive delays on delivery. Had a few minor things in PDI which I chose to have done after picking up since it was so late in the season & had already missed trips. Then the dealer showed their true colors and basically did NOTHING that was promised, they did give me half the parts. Long story there. Besides 4 plumbing leaks things have been good. Had water connections leak's in the bathroom. Toilet (2 places)and
both faucet connections, the PEX connections were done poorly, I now carry supplies and a crimper with me, seems to be a popular problem in all Trailer's now a days. Besides that it has been great. I went with this trailer for layout, weight and the Azdel/aluminum construction. I added a better mattress, the gateway to go with the Wingard 360 antenna, an outlet over the kitchen counter, plus I have a portable Satellite dish. It pulls great. Any questions or if you would like to bounce ideas off of each other get in touch. This season I will of course be doing more mods and really making it mine.
Great info! The dealer had it all set up, water heater running, both on board and city water, fridge cooled, A/C on (it was 73 here), TV, Stereo, etc. He even heated some water in the microwave LOL! Everything was working good on the lot of course and we yard camped last night using the pump, no city water hood up. Everything seems OK at this point and it's been raining ever since I parked it. We'll see after I tow it down some bumpy roads! I have a box full of pex pieces and shark bite fittings so hopefully I'll be ready if something happens to it. I'll put you on my buddy list in case some model specific questions come up!
Old 02-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
I just purchased one off the lot in Lake Park Georgia. I chose the manufacture because of their construction materials and methods compared to others. I'd like to hear what you've found since receiving yours if you're still around! I'll post my current feelings about mine since there are very few 253RLS specific threads.

Good - framing and main construction. Quality appliances and electronics. Cabinet doors are real wood, (backing of course is not), good axles and brakes, pulls great. LED lights.

Poor - Exterior caulking is sloppy / goopy (pet peeve)
Drawer bottoms are basically cardboard (plan to add support myself)

That's all I have for now, we'll see what comes up once we make our first real camping trip.

It was in the 70s and raining today and I haven't installed vent covers on the roof yet, so they were closed. With all the windows open and the single door open, it was still HOT! These windows do not allow much airflow but at least most of them can remain open in the rain as they are jalousie type. Time to order those roof vent covers and get a couple of 12v fans! Great looking windows but I wish they opened further!
Old 02-14-2021, 12:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
It was in the 70s and raining today and I haven't installed vent covers on the roof yet, so they were closed. With all the windows open and the single door open, it was still HOT! These windows do not allow much airflow but at least most of them can remain open in the rain as they are jalousie type. Time to order those roof vent covers and get a couple of 12v fans! Great looking windows but I wish they opened further!
Do you have the frameless windows? They just tip out I believe. I ordered mine with the old style that slide side to side or up down. I used the A/C alot last summer, if it was cool the windows with a tower fan worked well. If it rains it will defiantly come thru the roof vents. Got woken up one night with a puddle in the bathroom.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Do you have the frameless windows? They just tip out I believe. I ordered mine with the old style that slide side to side or up down. I used the A/C alot last summer, if it was cool the windows with a tower fan worked well. If it rains it will defiantly come thru the roof vents. Got woken up one night with a puddle in the bathroom.

Yep, cool looking windows, usable in the rain.....but they barely open. The two on the end of the slide actually slide open, the rest pivot.

Tags
lite