Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

Lippert Solid Steps "can be dangerous"

Just took delivery of a 2019 Coachmen Brookstone 310RL fifth wheel. So far, no mentionable issues. We were looking forward to the new steps, in this case, the Lippert Solid Steps. After looking at other units with Moryde or other new design steps, assumed that the Solid Step would be easy to pull down or store. Turns out that the model Coachmen installed on the 310RL has no assist lift to the steps so the handler carries all the weight of the steps in or out and they are not light. My wife cannot do it alone. My biggest concern is safety. If these steps were to fall on someone's head, it could cause severe injuries especially a child. According to Lippert, they are going to make available a "lift assist" kit in May that customers can purchase for around $100. I sent an email to Lippert about the safety issue and asked if they would send me a kit, no charge. They said, of course, "sorry" but no freeby, you can buy when they are available. I guess after the first few lawsuits settle they will make them available for free. Has anyone else run across these steps with no weight/lift assist feature?
PA-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #2

Hi,

I had mine installed at the Rally two years ago and they have a small lift assist cylinder. To my knowledge it was not an option.

Color me puzzled. They could seem heavy to some folks, but for sure they are cumbersome, would be awkward to lift without the assist, and yeah, if they came down unrestrained, could be a hazard that way as well, I suppose.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #3

Lippert just made available (In May) the lift assist kit for the newer 4 step solid steps. I installed the kit which was pretty easy. Well worth the $100 investment but this is something that should be included by the RV manufacturers for the safety factor.