Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #41

I ended up getting the Viair 400P RV Auto. It came with 2 30 foot coiled interconnecting air hoses. The unit looks like pretty good quality. Haven't used it yet. I plan on purchasing a tire repair kit to put in the carrying case just to have on hand.
Thanks for all the suggestions
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyguy View Post
I plan on purchasing a tire repair kit to put in the carrying case just to have on hand.
Thanks for all the suggestions

Just a side-note on tire repair kits.

If you have a puncture and use one of these plugging kits to get back on the road, it's a really, really, good idea to stop at a tire shop and have the dealer finish the job.

Plugs are considered in the tire industry to be a temporary repair. Have a dealer dismount the tire, cut off the part of the plugging material flush with the inner liner of the tire, and then install a patch to cover the hole with remaining plug in it.

This prevents the possibility of air migrating through the inner liner, around the plug, and into the ply layers of the tire causing a separation and failure. These are especially a problem when driving in hot climates. It's just good insurance and highly recommended by RMA, Tire Manufacturers, and Tire repair material manufacturers as well.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #43

For my DC powered tire inflator:
1: I bought a set of alligator clamps that will clamp securely onto the battery terminals.

2: I bought a length of FLEXIBLE 12/2 wire that will reach from the battery to both sets of tires on each side of the trailer.

3: I bought a FEMALE DC OUTLET that the air compressor plug will go into.

4: I bought the wire connectors to put it all together.

5: I bought a roll of outdoor rated vinyl electrical tape to seal up the electrical connections.

RESULT: I now have a removable all weather DC extension cord that any DC plug can use for external DC power.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #44

Thanks for the direct connect clarification. I was definitely leaning that direction in any case. But, given that getting to my 5th wheel's battery compartment when hitched isn't really feasible... the comments raised a question in my mind...

I COULD connect the compressor to the truck battery - as long as I had a long enough air hose to reach both sides of the fifth wheel to the tires. Is that feasible? Aftermarket or similar long replacement air hoses? If so, standard connection type?

( Villagerjjm - care to show your setup and provide further details? )
hittheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:12 AM   #45

I do not have a photo readily available that I can post. I will take some the next time I get over to the trailer.

Instead of using the clamps for a direct connection to the battery, you could substitute a male 12 volt plug in place of the clamps and insert it into a DC outlet if your truck has one in the dashboard. I know that Chevy trucks have this feature.... and they have a DC to AC converter built in also... which may support the electrical needs of a small (1 gallon) compressor like the ones that they sell at Walmart for about $50.00. Bear in mind that there is greater resistance in longer extensions which will cause some heating of both the wire and compressor. I use the extension only when there is a true need for bringing the tire up to specified pressure.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #46

I have a "Slime" brand one that I have owned for about ten years with zero issue, it has saved me more than a few times and I would definitely buy again if they still make it.
out_for_a_rip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, tire