Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

Question Mold and Mildew in Game Drawer Beneath Refrigerator

Newbie to the forum......
We bought a 2012 Chapparal Lite 280RLS 5th Wheel in February 2012 and enjoy it very much.
Used it frequently last Season with no issues.

This season after properly winterizing/de-winterizing (Eastern Shore of MD) we took it to Cape Hatteras in early April.

When the living room slide was out I felt dampness on the carpet in front of the reefer. A check in the game drawer just below revealed a slight dusting of mold and mildew.

We cleaned it up and began to search for the cause with no result. At first I thought of a leaky slide out or leaks through the vents behind the reefer, but subsequent rains and time have not revealed any other moisture issues. Since then, we've been opening it up every couple weeks when we're not using it and placed a cheap can of evap crystals in the drawer and after about 6 weeks it produces about a cup of water.

My question is: Has any other 280RLS owners observed the same and what did/are they doing to prevent it?
lwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Is the fridge condensate hose properly routed out through the exterior access panel?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #3

Dave,

That was my first thought as well. Yes the condensate hose is correctly routed out through the outside vent. Inspection behind the refrigerator and below it reveals nothing out the ordinary.

Opened and aired it our this weekend and observe only a small amount of water in the evap cup.

Guess I'll need to keep it open and aired out whenever time and weather allows.

Any other ideas, always welcome. Thanks.

Still hope someone with a similar issue sees this and can comment.
lwieb is offline   Reply With Quote