Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Multiple random leaks? Normal?

First time owning a TT, 2nd season into owning it (Coachmen 289TBSS) and just have a random question:

Are leaks inside the TT a relatively benign, commonplace thing that you just have to deal with/develop a strategy to address?

We're getting an intermittent leak from somewhere around the toilet that results in the occasional puddle. It's not necessarily tied to a flush and it's not constant. We might go a whole day and not see any water and then the next day it leak enough to soak two full size towels.

We're also seeing leaks under the kitchen sink in the drawers/storage area. I tightened up the fittings on the pipes under the sink and thought we were good to go but when we got home from camping yesterday I found more leaking in the same general area.

My question is, is this just a symptom of owning a TT?

Is it standard practice to set up your campsite and then go through and tighten down all of your plumbing fixtures because they loosen up during the drive?

Am I just setting my expectations incorrectly thinking it should just work, sans leaks, consistently?

I just ordered a valve and seal kit for the toilet and will try to install it this weekend so maybe that will fix that, but I'm just wanting to level set my expectations before I go complaining to the RV dealership.

Thanks!
Deesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #2

Fittings seam to be problematic. Make sure the lines or fittings are straight with the connection so there is no pressure on the joint. Also compression fittings on the drains can loosen while traveling so a check on those occassionally is good to do.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
llr

seems to be more common then it should be and varies by unit. In my class A Bounder I can only recall 1 leak in about 10 years. In my 1st trailer KZ I had a couple of problem areas that I needed to tighten regularly in 1.5 years. In my current Flagstaff I had not had any water leaks yet in only 1 season, I do have a intermittent propane leak that the dealer and me have not been able to find yet.

I think a lot of the water issues is from them using different hoses/pipes without the proper fittings between. I was not able to find the proper fitting in the KZ, I assume they are available but not know the proper names for the hoses makes it hard to find
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Leaks happen in many RVs, but I would not call them normal and accept them. They can eventually damage walls or floors. I would clean up all the water and put paper towels around the spot where the water shows up. Then make periodic checks to try to determine where the water is starting. For the sink leak, in addition to checking water lines, make sure the sink drain install nut is tight. Do you thaw frozen items in the sink? In humid weather, condensation will collect on the underside of the sink and drip down.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

Thetford who makes a lot of our trailer toilets had issues in the past with the valves leaking. We had that on our old 2006 Jayco. Free replacement valve 4 years later from Thetford.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #6

I had a problem where after a road run, I'd find water on the floor of the bathroom. Never could find anything leaking. Then one day I figured out that the problem was the nut holding the steering wheel. To keep the seal on the toilet from drying out, I was leaving water in it, which splashed out at times. Now I flush before leaving - no more problem.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

ANY water leak will eventually lead to mold and wood rot.
Track down where these are happening and keep your fingers crossed that mold/rot hasn't already started.
The wood framing used is not treated or painted.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #8

Is the water around the toilet always in the same spot? It may be splashing out of the bowl (if you are only seeing it after a drive). If not the valves are notorious for leaking intermittently if you don't winterize with antifreeze and it gets to the temp for a hard freeze during winter.

If you have a hairline crack in a line that might seem like an intermittent leak too.

I would not accept any leak and try and find it and fix it. I was able to trace a few leaks and fix them in my new unit and since then so far it is good.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #9

check your shower door track. (if you have one.) it wouldn't be the first one installed backward and allowing the water to drain out on the floor instead of into the tub. I had to lay down a small 2" line of silicone at each end of the tub. think to build a damn. Water would run toward the outside of the tub and run on the floor. Leaks are not normal. Fix them. Put a stopper in your sink and fill with water. See if it leaks.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #10

I believe that it should be leak free. In 30 years and 4 tt I have only had a couple of leaks. Usually improperly installed fittings or incorrect fittings. I would chech each and every one and fix as needed. As stated otherwise a leak can lead to extensive damage.
Good luck
Old 04-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #11

Like others have said. If you know the water lines are tight under the sink. Check the drains. We have a leak around the toilet also under the flush valve. We have a Dometic 300 and I called dometic and they sent me a new one. Our leak is like yours but it does not leak as much as yours does.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Good to know this isn't normal. I'd rather actually fix a problem once than to have to fix it every time we go camping.

All I kept thinking was "if this is normal because of the vibration of driving, what kind of water leaks/damage are happening elsewhere I can't see...."

I've got the repair kit for the toilet coming from Amazon and will dig up under the sink and make sure all of the fittings are tight and then do the sink stopper test to see if it's coming from the sink or the pipes.

Wife keeps telling me to just take it to the dealer (may still be under warranty) but I'd rather fix it myself and definitely don't want to just roll into a dealer and say "there's something wrong, fix it and charge me for it", that's never a good plan.

Thanks again!
Deesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #13
ARLO

I seldom get a leak and there is always a reason for it. You need to stay on top of them to reduce the chance of mold and rot.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #14

Simular problem

Had water all the places you mentioned, it was coming from the shower. Water was coming under the door frame and leaking around drain. Took a while to find both. Caulked it all up, dry as a bone. (left water in toilet once too).
Old 04-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Lake Kid View Post
ANY water leak will eventually lead to mold and wood rot.
Track down where these are happening and keep your fingers crossed that mold/rot hasn't already started.
The wood framing used is not treated or painted.
2X...What Cold Lake Kid said.
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #16

Even with newer materials and fitting designs, plumbing seems to be tied to a centuries old mindset of sub-standard quality. Sourcing so much from China doesn't help either. One trick for finding the source of leaks is to dust some baby powder or cleaning powder around the problem area when it has been completely dried. Often leaves a nice clear trail.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #17

65 plus/or more PSI water/air usually will cause RV plumbing to leak, really. Most manuals will recommend 40 PSI max, check your manual and don't go cheep on a regulator with a gauge. We attach the regulator at the post so the hose is protected also.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #18

Have have never had a leak in two rv's over a two year period.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #19

Also make you have a pressure regulator on outside of camper. Lot of campgrounds have way to much pressure can make lines leak.
jhamilton5035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #20
Just as confused as you

I go with the water pressure being too much also. I have a Dometic 310 china bowl toilet. I too had water on the floor when we first got the trailer and it took a while to figure out exactly what was going on.

The water at the cg spigot varied from 55 to 60psi depending on how busy the cg was. Water pressure set to 50psi there is 3 holes that shoot water over the rim. At 45psi there is one hole that goes over the rim leaving water on the floor like your saying. It's not always there but it makes you look for leaks.

I found out the reason the first time I drained the black tank and was putting chemicals back in the tank. As I was filling the bowl full to put a couple gallons in the tank I watched the water shoot over the bowl.

At 40psi everything is fine, no water on the floor.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak