Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2022, 08:27 PM   #1

need advise with black tank flash

I need to do first time black tank flush. Can I please get some advise as to not to make mistake ?

Make sure the black tank valve is open right ? , what else should I make sure ?

How about grey tank valve ?
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:40 PM   #2

Make sure the bayonet locks are secure and the 90 at the dump hole is held down. Then do black then grey. Rinse everything and if there is no line behind you, flush your tanks again.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #3

You will get plenty of advice here from NEVER leave the black tank valve closed to anything in between.

The mfgr says to never leave it closed and that is due to liability if the user gets distracted and allows the black tank to back up into the RV..ughhh.

If you can’t be disciplined then always leave it open. Here is what I do. I drain the black tank then close the drain valve while running water into the flush. When I close the valve I set a 5 minute timer on my watch or phone to remind me in case I got distracted. If you can’t be disciplined don’t leave the valve closed.

Drain and flush the black tank first. When done with the black tank drain the grey tanks. The grey water will flush and rinse the black tank crude out of the slinky.

The flush attachment does not flush the grey tanks, just the black.

Also, never leave the black tank drain open when connected to sewer while camping. You want lots of water in the tank so as not to get, as some like to call it, a poop pyramid and it sticks to the bottom and is hard to get flushed out.

If you don’t have one of these get one…can keep you from being surprised when you remove the cap if you have a leaking tank valve. Also allows you to share volume if you have 2 grey tanks…

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:46 PM   #4

The grey tank isn't involved. You might want to get a transparent elbow so that you can tell when the water is coming out clean. First drain your black water, then use the black tank flush with the sewer valve open and attached til the water runs clear.
People usually drain the grey tank in order to flush out the hose after draining the black tank. However, if you're going to use the black tank flush, you might want to dump the black, then grey, then flush to clean the tank and the hose.

my 2 cents.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:00 AM   #5
Defender of America

Wear gloves when working with the sewer hoses.
Don't use your fresh water hose to rinse the sewer hoses.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 04:33 AM   #6

I usually close my grey tank (which I leave open most of the time) for a day or two, then use that for a final hose flush after I'm done with my black tank. I know many disagree with leaving grey tank open!
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 04:58 AM   #7

I agree with dalford re the attachment from Amazon; wish I had gotten it long ago.
I also leave my black tank valve closed for several minutes while using the black tank flush. Also, my black tank anti siphon valve leaked, so I removed it, got a new one and use it on the outside. I did the same thing with the water filter, I removed it and use one on the outside. That’s 2 potential leaks eliminated.
clanthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #8
CharlieP

I would add to the good advice already posted to buy a transparent Camco sewer hose adapter. I use the 3-1/2" one and leave it on all the time. This lets you see the effluent asap. I agree with closing the valve and partially filling the black tank as it carries more of the dregs out. Try it both ways and watch through the clear adapter. I always drain the grey tank last. I think the soap in the water helps clean the slinky. If you are doing a flush at the campsite, you can pour some dishsoap into the toilet before starting the fill. Then let it sit for a while.
2018 upgrade from Popup
Charliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #9

Open black, close grey. You DO NOT want any of the black crud getting into the grey tank.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanthon View Post
I agree with dalford re the attachment from Amazon; wish I had gotten it long ago.
I also leave my black tank valve closed for several minutes while using the black tank flush. Also, my black tank anti siphon valve leaked, so I removed it, got a new one and use it on the outside. I did the same thing with the water filter, I removed it and use one on the outside. That’s 2 potential leaks eliminated.
I have added a third valve at the outlet. After dumping the black tank I close the outlet valve and open the gray tank. This allows gray water to back flush into the black tank. Then close the gray valve and open the outlet valve. This empties the black tank. then I use tank flush to further clean black tank. The third valve at the outlet is clear so helps in knowing when system is clean. While using the tank flush I do open and close black tank valve. I have a Y at the fresh water supply. One with pressure regulator and white hose to water inlet. On other side I have a back flow protector then a green hose to go to the tank flush with a valve on it. Maybe a little much but worth it.
CamperDougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #11

When i use the black tank flush, first I have drained the tank as best it can without using the flush, then set the timer to 3 minutes, start the hose going to flush, close the valve and stand close by the valve. If anyone comes up to talk (has happened) I let them know I'm waiting for a timer to ring so I can open the valve back. Once I open the valve I keep an eye on the discharge and wait till it's mostly clear water. If I get more stuff than water, I repeat closing the valve and set the 3 minute timer. You won't fill a tank in 3 minutes of water going in with the valve closed.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:19 PM   #12

It's really not rocket science. Allow black tank to reach at least 75% capacity. If not there before departure use long flushes or catch your dish water and pour down the toilet. The more full the black tank the better the initial dump to remove most of the contents. If time and dump station line is not backed up, I'll close the valve and allow the tank rinse to 1/4 fill the tank and repeat . Time not an option then run the rinse while dumping A clear 45° will indicate remaining solids. Before leaving or when home, add a little water 2-3 gallons and a bio packet to work on the remnants till next time. Dump grey water last with black valve closed. Main thing is to have a near full black tank, where the pressure can evacuate the bulk.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank